PDA

View Full Version : Help finding options in a medium weight .308

jason h
November 24, 2001, 06:16 PM
Why is it that practically no manufacturer offers a .308 bolt action with a medium weight barrel? It seems .308's are either offered with a heavy barrel, tactical type configuration, or lightweight barrel, mountain rifle configuration. How lame is that. It just doesn't make sense, a manufacturer will offer a short action in .243 or 7mm-08 w/ a medium weight barrel, but not a .308. What am I missing here, why do they do this?

What I want, is a .308 bolt action in stainless with a composite stock and medium weight barrel with no iron sights. This rifle would be used as a utility type rifle for hunting and general target shooting and plinking. I would prefer the overall weight w/ scope to be under or around 10 lbs.

So far the only rifle that I have found that meets these specs is a Browning Stainless Stalker. Is there any others out there that I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TurkeySlayer
November 24, 2001, 08:55 PM
What about a Ruger M77 Mark II> I have the standard in .308. It has a 22" barrel, not heavy, but not too skinny. It shoots well.

trollman
November 24, 2001, 09:50 PM
I have a tikka in ss/syn in 308. great shooter, regular barrel and weighs approx 7lbs. Sako also offers one for about twice the money.

DeBee
November 24, 2001, 11:23 PM
Ten pounds is heavy for a utility .308

Have you thought of going custom? Find a deal on any SA Rem 700 SS with a .308 bolt face and screw on the barrel weight and length of your choice- maybe a Shilen SS #3 at 21"? How about the Remington LTR? It's light for a tactical choice if you stay with a modest scope...

Hey, screw the manufacturers! They cranks out rifles and get gun writers to shove them down your throat. They discontinue the "good" guns and bring out the new improved stuff- do we really need the .300 RUM??? Whoa, I'm feeling a rant coming on...

jason h
November 25, 2001, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Forgot about the Ruger, although until recently, the composite stock they had turned me off. May have to look into them again. My friend has a Tikka and really likes it so maybe I will look at them to. I think a sako or a custom rifle would be out of my price range, unfortunately. As far as the weight limit goes, 10 lbs I guess is the maximum weight I want to carry around for any period of time. If I could find a rifle within my specs, that weighed less, so much the better.

Hmm, Sako, maybe I should at least look at the prices, never know, may find a way to swing the cash for one. Anyway, thanks for giving me some more choices.

johnAK
November 25, 2001, 07:18 PM
How about spanish FR-8 converted from mauser? I am thinking about this rifle for your purpose too,

DeBee
November 26, 2001, 11:05 PM
Look at the Remington Model 7 SS... a little tuning and you'll have what you need- good utility rifle and most are very accurate.

MeekAndMild
November 26, 2001, 11:43 PM
Savage has one out now they call the "weather warrior" for about $500. It is the Model 16FSS without a detachable clip or Model 16FCSS with detachable clip. Also comes in lefthanders, Model 16FLSS or Model 16FCLSS.

Mithirium
November 27, 2001, 12:38 AM
You might want to consider a Remington 700 LTR or Light Weight Tactical rifle. It is parkerized with synthetic stock and a heavy 20" fluted barrell. It weighs in at 7.5 lbs without optics. It's the little brother of the PSS. Certainly an accurate gun and not to heavy to be carried for hunting.

dick w. holliday
November 28, 2001, 01:26 PM
Charter Arms Field King 2000-- light weight stainless steel barrel--18" barrell with compensator--composite stock--308 caliber--no sights--....

i got one the other day and sent it back unfired to Charter to get some deficiences corrected but should be just what you're looking for -- i'll let you know if i ever get it back----Dick