View Full Version : Compact 1911

Runner
November 24, 2001, 12:39 PM
I am ready to add a 1911 to my collection. These are my criteria:

.45 ACP
Stainless
4" barrel
Shorter Grip Frame

I believe the Kimber Compact Stainless is my best choice for this criteria. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jack Carson
November 24, 2001, 01:15 PM
Mine are not stainless but I absolutely love my Kimber Compacts. Easy to carry, accurate and 100% reliable with all factory ammo I've tried. My carry gun has digested between 3,000-4,000 rounds without a problem.
Good Luck to You and let us know what you decide.
jack

gunny6
November 24, 2001, 01:21 PM
You owe yourself a good look at a Colt Defender, if you can find one.....

Captain Bligh
November 24, 2001, 05:45 PM
I think you're on the right path. I own a Kimber Compact Stainless (steel-framed). It's a great gun. Fun to shoot and very concealable and accurate.

RJ

gdhillard
November 24, 2001, 06:00 PM
I'm tickled with my STI Ranger. Sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Gary

New_comer
November 24, 2001, 07:56 PM
Yessirree, that STI ranger also had me drooling...

:D Best,

New_comer

smitty21
November 25, 2001, 02:00 AM
Thats a good choice. I love my Compact.

Runner
November 25, 2001, 11:34 AM
Seems like the Kimber or STI are the recommendations here. I just had a friend recommend the Les Baer Stinger Stainless or a non-stainless Wilson Combat SDS. Any comments on these?

gdhillard
November 25, 2001, 09:23 PM
STI is still affordable to me. You can currently get one for a little under $800. Very nice gun for the money. The Wilsons and Baers and other top enders are out of my price range. Check out the Cylinder and Slide pocket pistol if price is no object. Then loan it out to me. Gary

George Hill
November 25, 2001, 10:27 PM
You may be able to find a little Star PD out there. A compact 1911 variant that is cute as can be.

nwgunman
November 25, 2001, 10:40 PM
I currently carry a Kimber lightweight compact. It has been excellent. However, at the same time I bought my Kimber, I picked up a Springfield Armory lightweight compact as a training gun to compliment the Kimber. It too has also been absolutely flawless. Maybe something about the ramped barrel, but this SA 1911 has been the best one I've ever owned. I've shot the heck out of it with full power, hollow point ammo and it keeps on trucking. Both pistols have had MMC adjustible night sights and Ed Brown ambi safeties installed, with a little bit of skate board tape stuck to the front of the grip. If I had to choose between the two...I couldn't! Stay safe.