PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Turk Mauser today.

k77/22rp
November 23, 2001, 01:18 PM
I cant wait to get it but I have to wait because Dunhams was behind about 60 backround checks,
the stock and forearm look really good and I could not see any pitting down the bore.

I see they sell 8mm mauser REAL cheap but is it safe, the stuff from www.jgsales.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com it is corosive and manuf. in the 40's will this stuff work ok.

James K
November 23, 2001, 01:30 PM
AFAIK, that ammo is OK for shooting and gives pretty fair accuracy in a good rifle. Cleaning with hot water or a good bore cleaner is necessary. If you luck out and get a Turk with a good bore, you want to keep it that way.

Jim

k77/22rp
November 23, 2001, 01:47 PM
ok thanks Jim

plateshooter
November 23, 2001, 03:11 PM
I own a bunch of milsurp rifles, but my favorite shooter is a M38 Turk. I keep an old dish soap bottle containing 50% water and 50% ammonia with a bit of dishwashing soap in it. After shooting at the range, I swab the bore with that, dry it and put some kind of oil down it before I leave. I then clean it properly when I get home. I've never had a bit of a problem shooting corrosive ammo using that system. If you are going to get some Turk ammo, beware of the 1947 dated stuff that's around now. Many of the necks are split and the bullets are loose. With a slight bit of side pressure, the bullets pop out of the necks and you have a mag well full of powder. All of the other years I have tried have been great.

Enjoy your Turk, I sure enjoy mine. :)

k77/22rp
November 23, 2001, 10:34 PM
I have another question, How does the recoil compare to a remington 700 ADL in .30-06.
I hear the steel buttplate really stings is this true?

zouave
November 23, 2001, 10:42 PM
The Turk kicks, but it is not unbearable. It is about the same as a 30-06.

Hoppy
November 23, 2001, 10:44 PM
I've got a Yugo Mauser

Let me say this.... you will have FUN with a mauser. Mines goes to the range every time I go.

I had a great time with the Turk ammo. I've gone through about
400 rds or so. This stuff is corrosive. When I get home I run a solution of 50% ammonia/50% hot water through and then give it a regular cleaning. I find the old surplus to be inexpensive and accurate.

BOLANTEJ
November 23, 2001, 10:56 PM
i just wash it out with hot water, then gun scrubber, then clp...does fine. the cheap ammo kicks pretty good, and is pretty darn accurate. i have a question....do you folks use grease for the bolt? it's my only bolt rifle, and i don't know how important this is. thanks.

Tropical Z
November 24, 2001, 03:18 AM
I wish there was a definite ammonia to water ratio.I've never seen anyone use a 1 to 1 mixture,and i was told to never go stronger than 3 parts water to 1 part ammonia.Oh the mysteries of life!:)

plateshooter
November 24, 2001, 07:49 AM
I think that sometimes this corrosive ammo cleaning gets way over complicated. Just think if you would have some salt in your bore. Salt attracts moisture, and moisture causes rust. Plain water will disolve salt, hot water makes your barrel dry faster, ammonia helps to neutralize the salt. I don't think its rocket science, just a matter of realizing what's going on and taking care of it as soon as possible after shooting. I have never had any problems shooting corrosive ammo, or black powder. Just get the salts out asap, dry, and clean like any other barrel. Ammonia won't hurt your barrel if you don't leave it in there for long periods of time. Sweets is about the strongest ammonia I've seen and it works great for getting the copper and bimetal deposits out of my Mauser barrels. It's amazing sometimes when you get a new to you milsurp, load it up with ammonia and see the patches come out completely blue from all the years of fouling they had. Then comes that shine and you find out there is a good bore under all of that junk.:)

Hutch
November 24, 2001, 10:17 PM
Another neat corrosive-ammo cleaning trick is to use Windex, or some other water/ammonia/soap window cleaner. Spritz some on the cleaning patches (soak 'em good) and it works well. Kinda neat, actually, but you really need to follow with some petro-based solvent-preservative.

riddleofsteel
November 24, 2001, 10:44 PM
If you clean your barrel just as you would if it had been fired with black powder you will be fine. I fill a small bucket half full of HOT water (boiling is good) and dishwashing soap. Stick the muzzle in and use a cleaning rod and swab to dash up and down in the bore. Once the swab gets wet it will pump water and soap mixture up and down the bore. Continue until the barrel is clean and hot to the touch. Flush with HOT water and throughly clean the chamber and mag area with windex or 409. (Avoid soaking the wood of the stock.) If you get the barrel hot enough it will dry rapidly and then you can apply a light coat of oil to the bore and external surfaces.
I have cleaned my muzzle loaders and Mil-Surp rifles like this for years and none of them have a spot of rust or bore damage despite the fact I fired a truck load of corrosive ammo and black powder thru them.:p