PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1903 Pocket Pistol

johnwill
November 15, 2001, 05:35 PM
Here's the latest addition to the collection, a Colt .38 Pocket Pistol. I have looked for a nice one of these for quite a while. very pleased to have added it to the collection. :) Does anyone have detail stripping instructions for one of these? I field stripped it and cleaned it up, but I was thinking of doing a detail strip and really cleaning it up. I hate to launch into such projects until I'm sure I have enough information to reassemble the gun after I'm done! :)

http://www.armscenter.com/johnwill/SmallGunPictures/Colt%20Pocket%2038%20(right).jpg

Cap n ball
November 16, 2001, 11:37 AM
Try going to http://www.coltautos.com/1903h.htm there should be a diagram and parts listing there. Nice looking gun John.;)

James K
November 16, 2001, 05:45 PM
Beautiful gun. Biggest problem with those guns is idiots trying to remove the slide lock without knowing how.

Disassembly should be no real problem, but I would suggest a hollow end punch, preferably brass, to avoid maring the pins. The gun is not the same as the 1911 but there are similarities and experience with the newer gun helps.

Jim

johnwill
November 16, 2001, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the prod, I already had that site bookmarked. :) I went there and downloaded the manual, handy to have around...

Jim, I don't hammer anything that isn't obvious, that's why I was looking for instructions. I did figure out the field stripping, but one of the pins that holds the barrel seems a bit strubborn, so I figured to do a little research and see if I was missing something silly. I was able to remove the front pin with no problem, so I managed to clean up the recoil spring area, but the rear pin is pretty solid. Yes, I always use brass punches, unless a steel one is really called for. I find I can do less damage with a brass punch. :)

BigG
November 16, 2001, 07:35 PM
I'm drooling! Nice piece of JMB, Colt, and American history. Just beautiful!

Quantrill
November 17, 2001, 08:14 AM
John,
Nice to see another picture. I do enjoy them. Do you shoot most of these guns or just caress them?
Good looking pistol too. Quantrill

johnwill
November 17, 2001, 10:36 AM
I shoot some of the collectables, though I haven't shot this one yet. After field stripping it, I'm somewhat hesitant to take it to the range, the small block that keeps the slide from rearranging your face is pretty small! That little square block of metal in the front of the slide is all that keeps the slide from slipping off the back, if that should crack during firing...

Ziplok
November 17, 2001, 01:29 PM
G-ma made housecalls (Public Health) in some rough parts of town. She packed a reticle-type purse with 6oz of birdshot sewn into the bottom, and a Colt .380 in with her compact and change purse. One tough Scotch redhead........Nobody ever messed with her in a 30 year career. She had a bulletproof "Tude"- with backup.
Still have the gun in the family...very nice condition for a working carry gun.
:)

James K
November 17, 2001, 09:23 PM
Hi, Johnwill,

Please accept my apology, I certainly didn't mean you when I used that word. I think I know you well enough (even long distance) to know you are anything but.

Still there are the "get a bigger hammer" folks out there and they have really battered a lot of those old guns.

Jim

johnwill
November 18, 2001, 05:26 PM
George,

No apology necessary, ASCII is an imprecise way to communicate, it's hard to always say exactly what you mean. :)

FWIW, I've seen, and even own a couple of guns that have been butchered by heavyhanded "gunsmithing", so I know what you mean. There are a few little dings on the takedown block on that 1903 that looks like someone was trying to hammer it out. Hell, you push the button, and you have to reach down on the floor to pick the block up, it falls out! What they were doing with a hammer is beyond me! :)

Lavan
November 20, 2001, 01:12 PM
It can be disassembled FAST with a .38 super round. :eek:

JUST A JOKE! I would not shoot it. It is not a strong design and variances in metallurgy could make it unsafe or at the very least, put more wear on it.

This particular gun always evokes a tear when I see one. Years ago, I was lucky enough to get an UNFIRED one that just needed scrubbing with WD40 to remove years of caked on oil gunk.

Underneath was the mintiest gun you have ever seen. Not even a hint of bright on the edges.

I......SOLD......IT! Back in days of needing money more than a nice gun. Boo hoo.

But.....I will never forget it.

It is pretty just as it is. If you get a desire to go shooting, take a newer gun. Please.

johnwill
November 20, 2001, 05:57 PM
When this gun does get shot, it will be with the proper ammo, of that you can be certain! :) While I may be crazy, I'm not stupid! :D:D