PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question.

Nightcrawler
November 13, 2001, 05:44 PM
Let's say we lived in a gun utopia of sorts and the gun laws made no reference to whether or not rifles could be select fire or semiautomatic only. In other words, you could walk into any gun store in the country and buy a select fire AR-15 variant just as easily as you can buy a semiautomatic only one today.

Would there be any market left for semiauto only versions of rifles like the AK, AR, FAL, G3, etc.? Maybe, for accurized target or hunting versions, I'd think, but other than that, I think everyone would probably go with select fire. You don't HAVE to use it, but it'd be fun to have.

Of course, I don't think there'd be such a thing as an accurized target version of the AK. :D

What do you think? Is there any reason you'd by a semiauto only if you could get a select-fire for the same price and with no addition legal hassles?

Apeach
November 13, 2001, 06:32 PM
A model of any of these weapons that was made from the beginning as semiauto might be cheaper. Less machining, fewer small parts, easier manufacturing and the such. There'd be a market among people who were just going to use the semiauto feature of the rifle anyways, so why pay the extra for something you don't need. Although I do admit that I'd go with full auto myself (it just looks like so much fun!). Other than that I can't really think of any reason to sell them.

labgrade
November 13, 2001, 06:38 PM
Nope. For specific "semis," I'd go for the full auto versions. You can always select semi.

My onliest experience for FA being with M16s & 60s (other than that one M2 :D ), I'd think that these actions will be as accurate using semi only as they would be with the option of full auto.

16s were always checked out to see if they would shoot good at the semi level. If so, they were deemed a "good enough gun."

The others really didn't matter all that much. I'm sure you can understand why. :D