PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Rem 742 Jamming

SCOOB
November 12, 2001, 10:52 AM
My father is big into deer hunting. He called and is having a lot of problems with his Remington 742 in 30-06 jamming on him. (he's not an internet person and asked if I would ask someone about it online).

He said it will usually eject the current round after firing but often jams when it tries to pick up the next round.

Sometimes it will eject and never pick up the next round before the action closes.

He heard of people replacing the action with another action (7400 model action ?). I'm not sure what he's talking about.

I told him to buy some more magazines from remington and trying those before changing out the whole action.

Any other recommendations ?

:confused:

UK2TX
November 12, 2001, 11:16 AM
Hello SCOOB,

I would recommend cleaning and lubricating the rifle before anything else. You would be amazed at the number of rifle and shotguns I get asked to look at that just needed to be cleaned and lub'ed to remedy the mysterious aliments that afflict them!

Regards,

UK2TX

Redlg155
November 12, 2001, 01:37 PM
I agree..a good cleaning a lube would be in order as a first step. The second should be trying a different magazine, then different ammo.

It sounds to me like weak magazine springs, so a new mag would probably fix the problem.

Good SHooting
RED

HankB
November 12, 2001, 02:16 PM
Remington 742's are noted for reliability problems. NOT ALL, just a substantial percentage, like 15%-20%, seem to be jammamatics. I've seen a lot like this at the range.

The suggestions of a good thorough cleaning a lube of the entire action (not just a patch through the bore!) are good. You father will have to detail-strip the whole gun to do this right.

He also might try another type/brand of ammo.

One gentleman I met at the range had a 742 Jammamatic that he fixed by detail stripping and carefully polishing EVERY metal-to-metal surface in the rifle, from the bolt lugs (careful - don't take too much off) to all the little parts.

James K
November 12, 2001, 03:13 PM
Hi, guy,

UK2TX is right. A lot of deer hunters just put their guns away at the end of the season and take them out the next season. Some of my conversations have gone like this:

Clean?
- What's that?
Lube?
- Huh?
Sight in?
- Shoots good enough for me!
Fresh ammunition?
- Bought a box back in 1970 and still got half of them.

I have been brought several semi-auto Remingtons that had no problems except plain dirt and one with a mud dauber nest in the receiver. When cleaned (and the mud daubers evicted), the guns worked fine. They are definitely more prone to dirt and crud than a bolt or lever action, but they will do the job if kept clean.

Jim

Art Eatman
November 12, 2001, 04:14 PM
Whether pistol or rifle, always check the magazine when feeding problems occur. That's the most likely source. There can be a mix of bullet shape and the magazine's edges or lips which contribute, of course.

If the bolt is not picking up the next round, that round is not high enough in the mag for the face of the bolt to engage the back of the cartridge case. This could indeed indicate a weak spring, or it could be that the side or edge of the magazine is bent inward just a bit--it doesn't take much.

And, er, uh, as has been said, DIRT. :)

Hope this blarney helps,

Art

pooh
November 12, 2001, 04:42 PM
excuse me fella's this is another question. i heard that they are not making parts for the 742 anymore true or false

Steven Mace
November 12, 2001, 05:00 PM
Pooh, you're probably correct. Remington has probably stopped the manufacture of parts the are unique to the Model 742. But if you visit the Gun Parts Corporation (http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z742) website you'll find a list of parts for the Model 742.

Steve Mace

UK2TX
November 12, 2001, 05:01 PM
Hello pooh,

Have a look at the following link to see what's available out side of factory direct:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z742

Brownells also carry a few parts like extractors,

Regards,

UK2TX

pooh
November 12, 2001, 05:13 PM
thanks for the reply's

HankL
November 12, 2001, 07:41 PM
I agree with Art on this one. Several people that I know have solved their 742 feeding problems by purchasing a new magazine or two. By all means clean the rifle but when she stops feeding reliably check the magazine.
HTH

SCOOB
November 12, 2001, 07:44 PM
Thank you for your responses ! This helps a lot.

It doesn't sound like spending the money on a new action for the rifle is the best thing to try first.

Any and all additional responses are appreciated too ! :)

Dr.Rob
November 12, 2001, 09:33 PM
You may try a new magazine or giving the existing one an overnight solvent soaking. Could just be the insides of the mag are sticky/dirty. Feed lips are also a fincky area, however those remington mags are sturdy stamped steel, it would take a lot of force to bend the feed lips on the magazine.

Take a look at the bottom of the bolt close up.. is there any wear on the bolt face? Does it lock up tight?

Another good 'tester' to have on hand is a few snap caps, practice cycling the rounds.

Hope it helps but i'd suspect the magazine first.

Bottom Gun
November 13, 2001, 10:42 AM
A new magazine is probably the way to go. Many gun shops carry them and there are usually some at most of the gun shows.
Might want to try posting a wanted ad here in the "Gear for Sale" forum.

The magazines for the 760 pump guns will also work in your rifle but they lack the bolt stop feature found in the 742 mags. Actually, I like them better because they're quieter since they don't have that little lever rattling around.

Avoid the 10 round after market mags for this rifle. I haven't found any that work properly in my 742 carbine.

Leafy
November 13, 2001, 08:39 PM
Time for me to step in. Lay your rifle on a table, ejection port facing up, with the bolt closed. Shine a flashlight into the slot directly behind the bolt (where the bolt handle protrudes through when the bolt is in the rearward position). Are there a series of shiney scallop shaped marks? Lock the bolt in the rearward position and examine the rail on the far side of the receiver which the bolt rides on directly behind the chamber. Does it appear to slope slightly downward? Is it cracking and splitting from the receiver? Final question: Have you been shooting 180gr factory ammo?

SCOOB
November 14, 2001, 09:55 PM
Thanks again for your responses! I'll send these on to Pop.
Have a great day.

Tony:D

JRiggs
November 15, 2001, 07:38 AM
I was told by my Gunsmith at Gander Mountain that the 742 has a life of about 200 rounds. They remedied the problem when they made the 7400. About 3 years ago, my buddy sent his rifle back to Remington, along with $150.00, and they sent him a brand new 7400. So, this tells me Remington is aware of the problem. It had something to do with a design flaw in the bolt and receiver, cant remember for sure. Remington does'nt advertise this deal, so you'll have to call them on it. They will replace the rifle though.

SCOOB
November 15, 2001, 08:16 AM
JRIGGS,

Thanks. Maybe this is what my dad was speaking of. He will appreciate everyone's input on this.

Tony

Bottom Gun
November 15, 2001, 09:00 AM
Somebody must have forgotten to tell my 742 that it's only supposed to last 200 rounds. I've put thousands of rounds (some of them pretty darned hot) through mine and it still works fine.

Does anyone truly believe that a major arms manufacturer would put out a rifle without testing it with thousands upon thousands of rounds?
If so, I have a dandy bridge for sale. It's in Brooklyn and it's in real good shape. . . . . .
;)

SidL
November 15, 2001, 09:41 AM
Had that problem w/ a couple I once owned, a 30/06 and .308. The chambers were dirty. Cleaned them w/ steel wool wrapped around a bore brush and they worked fine. Wish I'd thought at the time about taking it apart and polishing everything, but it would probably still be in pieces...

lazerus2000
November 17, 2001, 12:40 AM
Remington 742 rifles have VERY fine bolt lugs. Lots and lots of very fine bolt lugs as opposed to a few BIG bolt lugs. These tiny lugs can wear faster than big lugs, so this is why Rem changed the design to the 7400.

PS: If it is not the mags, and it is not the gas system clogged up, take a look at the right side of your magazine.

Does it look shiny and worn ONLY at that side?

Does the gun go forward easily with no mag in it, but seems rougher or slower with a mag in it?

If so, the pin that holds the cocking handle is coming loose and hitting against that magazine.

About a 5 minute fix to pop the pin out, and replace it with a new one [ the end cut off of a right sized drill bit it is hard and tough enough to use here. locktight it in so it won't come loose again ].

weagle
November 17, 2001, 10:01 AM
There are 2 types of 742 remingtons: those that have jammed, and those that will jam. Sell the gun to someone who has an affection for 742's and buy a good bolt action. Good shooting, Weagle