PDA

View Full Version : T&E report

bobby_lori
November 9, 2001, 06:51 AM
This was started on Glock Talk but I thought that the people here may find this interesting. The topic was posted by someone (don't remember who) and was called "Anyone have any infro on the S&W Tactical". We received a T&E sample shortly after and I posted that I would publish the T&E report. So here it is:

I know this topic was posted awhile ago, but I have just gotten through with the T&E with a S&W 4003TSW. Before we start, I want to state that I am the kind of person who uses what works, not because it is a certain brand. I have carried several diffrent brands of duty guns in my career (since July 95). Most of the time, it has been a Beretta, bu that is just personal choice. I have Glocks, H&Ks, Berettas and Colts, so this is not a plug for a company.
Anyway, back to the T&E. I received the 4003 TSW on 9/24/01. I want to start by saying that S&W had the gun to me in about 4 days after making the request for the gun. Dave Laraqock was the person who I dealt with and answered any questions or problems I had.
Total number of rounds, around 500. No malfunctions of any kind. It gobbled (yes, that is a technical term) up everything I put in it. Accuracy: OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! I never thought that I could get the groups that I did from a S&W. I have owned Smiths in the past and accuracy was okay, nothing to write home about. Several other people shot it and could not believe how it functioned and the accuracy they got from the 4003TSW.
I got better groups out of it than I do with my Glock 22. And, it is not just me. Our devoted Glock shooters are getting the same thing with the Smith. Did I get just a run of the mill gun. I don't know. That is what I asked for. Was it cherry picked by Smith for the T&E, don't know.
One thing that is liked by our officers who are shooting the older 4006 guns, is the weight of the 4003. Smith should really push the alloy frame. I spoke with an officer with Memphis, PD (the PD uses 4043-older models) about their Smiths. He told me that they had had a few of the older 4043s that had developed cracks in the frame. The guns were purchased in 1997-98. They called Smith and Smith replaced them with the new TSW series. How is that for customer service?
Of course, with everything, there is a downside. Most of this is just my personal observations.
1. Too many sharp edges. Especially around the decocker.
2. Price. The LE price is still too high. If Smith could bring the price down, they would have a winner. However, I have saw some used TSWs are a good price.
3. This is not Smith's fault but not many holsters for the TSW. I would have gotten with the holster companies before I released it to make sure there was plenty of leather. As far as duty holsters, Safariland makes the SSIII for it, but it is like trying to find the Holy Grail. The 6280 will fit the TSW or the standard 4000 series.
Well, this is the conclusion of my T&E report. I hope it helps. Please consider that no matter the brand, if it works use it. I see so many people today who have to have something just because it is a Glock or H&K, etc.

P.S. I am keeping the TSW for my self. I was going to send it back but I can't part with it.

Stay safe and watch your back

Sgt. 830

denfoote
November 9, 2001, 07:59 AM
tal number of rounds, around 500. No malfunctions of any kind. It gobbled (yes, that is a technical term) up everything I put in it. Accuracy: OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

From a smith!!! Who'd a thunk it!!! Especally with their current troubles.

How is that for customer service?

Maybe things are getting better!!!

Of course, with everything, there is a downside. Most of this is just my personal observations.
1. Too many sharp edges. Especially around the decocker.
2. Price. The LE price is still too high. If Smith could bring the price down, they would have a winner. However, I have saw some used TSWs are a good price.

Now, this the Slick&Willy report that makes sense. ;)
1) S&W QC has taken a nosedive, I hear!!!
2) Any company that would price gouge LEO's, especally during these troubling times, is truly traitorous!!!:barf: They still deserve to die!!!:cool:

Just MY observations!!!:)

hercules
February 20, 2002, 02:33 PM
hoho,,,, glad you like the 4003. I use a 4003TSW for carry,,,and competition. Tightest built and best shooting gun I have ever had. Holsters??? Don Hume!!! They make all kinds of holsters for it.

Good Luck