PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Wilson 1911 parts..

jp27
November 7, 2001, 09:49 AM
I notice that on the packages it states that the parts should be installed by a gunsmith. Does this mean that the parts require further work or is it a safety thing?

George Stringer
November 7, 2001, 10:22 AM
JP27, it can mean either or both. Most parts, even those touted as drop-in, require some fitting while others like sears and hammers do have a safety factor involved. George

jp27
November 7, 2001, 10:29 AM
Wilson parts are the ones that I have chosen for my Tannery frame and slide. Of the Wilson parts which ones do require expert fitting?

[This is contingent upon receiving the slide and frame before I die of old age!]

Ledbetter
November 7, 2001, 02:21 PM
If you're installing a bunch of parts or a complete kit (pins, sear, hammer, trigger, extractor, safety, grip safety, firing pin stop, magazine release, sear spring, disconnector or any of these), you will need the services of a professional with the proper tools and expertise.

While you might get lucky and drop in a full length guide rod or slide stop with no fitting, if fitting is need and you don't perceive it, you may damage your gun or render it unsafe or inoperable.

Regards.

Rocklobster
November 7, 2001, 07:36 PM
They all say that,so that if you install something improperly and blow one of your eyes out or something,they can't be sued for "improperly designed product" or one of the other popular frivolous lawsuit reasons.

Coltdriver
November 7, 2001, 10:36 PM
I got started in 1911's with a Colt Government Enhanced Model.

I am a rank amature when it comes to gunsmithing.

Understand that you can definitely screw up and cause yourself some problems. In fact, truth be told, you can kill yourself or others so be forewarned and apply the appropriate diligence. But you can also apply a little or a lot of common sense and leave the truly touchy stuff to a smith and have a rewarding experience in between.

Having said that I installed the following: hammer, hammer spring, hammer spring housing, trigger, extractor, extended safety, extended slide release, grip safety and extended beaver tail, removed the firing pin stop and the stop safety mechanism and replaced it with a part designed to do so, swapped out the firing pin, put in a competition magazine release, added a guide rod and changed the slide spring and firing pin spring.

I used almost all Wilson parts.

I have several thousand rounds through my Colt since and it works without fail. Although I am one of those shooters that likes to completely clean and lube after every range session.

If you fool around with the sear and disconnector without knowing what you are doing, you can inadvertently make a full auto pistol which will surprise the hades out of you if it goes off and may very well kill you or a by stander. Don't fool around with things beyond your abilities. If you put a new barrell in your 1911, have a smith fit it because between the barrel link and the battery lugs there are things that you simply can not do properly without the right tools. And doing them wrong is dangerous. You can also imagine that fitting a barrel to a barrel guide requires some fitting. And to re machine the slide rails or to adjust the slide rails is somthing a smith should do.

The things I needed to adjust I was able to do with a couple of very small files and some emory cloth. The toughest of all of these was the extended beaver tail.

But, before you do anything. Take your 1911 completely apart and put it together. Do this several times. You will develop an understanding for how the gun is built and how it operates. Do your homework and really study what others do so that you can decide what is within your capabilities. List out everything you want to do and decide what things you will do and what things you will have a smith do. Find a smith in advance that is willing to let you add what are, for the most part, drop in parts and who will then do the tricky stuff on top of your work.

The things that are done to make a 1911 really accurate and to bring the trigger into the smoothest, lighest acceptable pull are all in the domain of the smith.

Then start by adding easy parts and forget about adding up the cost because you will get well over a grand in the gun before you know it. But, as a learning experience, and a rewarding one at that, whats a grand to a true gun nut, er enthusiast?

jp27
November 9, 2001, 07:54 AM
I have no problems fitting parts, the only concern i have is->are the Wilson parts finished and considered ready to use. I really don't want to buy anything that i have to finished the manufacturing process such as milling or machining.