PDA

View Full Version : Freezer as a safe?

Tanglefoot
November 5, 2001, 02:05 PM
Here’s a thought – we’ve got an old upright locking freezer in our basement. We don’t use it at all, but would like to have the option of doing that later. I am thinking of using it to store my firearms until I can scratch up some cash for a real safe.

As the freezer is airtight, I’m a concerned about storing firearms in there without desiccant or something similar.

Your thoughts please?

Coronach
November 5, 2001, 02:17 PM
1. Use dessicant

2. It will only be secure against (very) casual attempts to get at the guns. It would serve to keep them out of the hands of your kids, but not anyone who really wanted to get at them.

3. It would probably be pretty good concealment. I can't imagine frozen broccoli or hamburger having a big resale value, so I imagine any burglars might not even think to look in it.

4. Its probably better than nothing.

Mike

3dcool
November 5, 2001, 06:08 PM
Freezer will work -- With modifications.

Since the freezer is close to airtight, you'll want some circulation in there. Drill a few 1/2" holes on the side or back so that good clean air gets inside still.

-Ben

bastiat
November 5, 2001, 08:29 PM
Thought about using an old freezer, but lining the inside with 1/4" steel and adding a locking door. Put an blanket over it, lock the freezer door (if it has a lock), and no one is going to get in.

But then I realized it would be cheaper to buy a safe than too buy steel and a welder :(

TheBluesMan
November 5, 2001, 10:06 PM
If you do end up using the freezer and driling the holes, be sure to drill them near the top and the bottom. You'll get better air circulation that way as the ambient temperature in the room changes in relation to the temperature inside the freezer/safe.

slickpuppy
November 5, 2001, 10:17 PM
The bastard that ripped me off had the nerve to go to my freezer and cook a damn steak before leaving with my toys a few years ago.

Just hope the sob isn't hungry and looking for food, too.

Bogie
November 6, 2001, 12:35 PM
Stick a hasp and a padlock on the sucker, and a hazmat sticker on the door...

Billy Sparks
November 6, 2001, 01:58 PM
Slickpuppy I have you beat. Not only did the SOB raid my
freezer but took a shower and stole my socks and underwear.

And drank my tequila.....I think that pi**ed me off almost
as much as the him stealing my H&K USP9.....almost

Tanglefoot
November 6, 2001, 10:58 PM
Egad's there are some frigging bastegees out there! Stole your undies and drank your Tequila? :mad:

I hate the thought of drilling the freezer as that will limit its use as a well ..... a freezer later in life. I may just get a Knaack box and fasten it to my garage floor. Yes I recognize that is not nearly as secure as a true safe, but that's a gamble I'll take.

gyp_c2
November 7, 2001, 03:25 AM
I kinda' like the airtight idea...Put some dessicant in it and you're good to go and no moisture or bugs or anything else can get at it... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/bandit.gif

Bowser
November 7, 2001, 07:21 AM
The egg trays make excellent grenade holders.

don't shoot it's me
November 7, 2001, 12:05 PM
I got you all beat...my intruder left urine samples in my freezer then reprogrammed my VCR which I had set for Law and Order. I came back from vacation and had the complete Fact of Life marathon on Nick at Night instead....

And you should have seen what he (or she) did to these three poor bears next door....

Indy
November 7, 2001, 04:17 PM
Instead fo using a dessicant you can easily rewire the light in the freezer so it stays on all the time. That way you will have a cheap "Golden Rod" and you won't have to constantly be changing out the dessicant. I think that those lights are around 40 watts and that would be plenty to dry out the fridge and protect your guns. I've heard of old timers (no offense to you old guys out there :D ) storing there guns in non operational freezers with great success. Drilling a hole is not a bad idea since if you have a fire and you don't have a breather you might blow the door off.
-Indy