PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911, Springfield or Colt?

sundance43.5
November 4, 2001, 10:15 PM
I'm stuck between buying a new Mil-Spec Springfield, or a plain-jane Colt 1991A1. What do you think?

Thanks

TimC
November 4, 2001, 10:31 PM
I have a similiar situation. My dad had a RemRand 1911 which I shot occasionally for years (now inherited). Earlier this year I purchased a parkerized Springfield (mostly mil spec). It's a good gun, but I do like the more rounded front strap of the Remington. The 1991 has this same rounded front. The grip feels better to my hand than the squared strap of the Springfield. Quality wise, I don't think one is any better than the other, though I've not had any experience with a 1991. Soon, I plan on examining one and maybe trading...? Not sure if I'll trade, or just buy the Colt. Don't really see a need to have both, but plenty of guys have huge collections. Okay, I'm done yapping...

Shmackey
November 5, 2001, 12:43 AM
I was all set to buy a Mil-Spec springfield but then I found a Kimber Custom Classic for $100 more. The difference is night and day.

Tamara
November 5, 2001, 12:46 AM
As an investment? Go with the one that has the prancing pony on it.

To shoot or customize? Springfield.

glockdoc
November 5, 2001, 08:52 AM
This is an odd twist. Usually the question is Springfield vs. Kimber. There have been countless threads on that question. Think about Kimber, then think about Colt.

Wild Romanian
November 5, 2001, 09:14 AM
For your information:
I recently had a conversation and also some work done on a 1911 by a local gun-smith that specializes in work on 1911's.

This is what he told me. When he accurizes a persons Springfield Armory gun he immediately throws the barrel away and replaces it with a Kart.

When he works on a colt he does no such thing. The Colt barrel in his opinion is more than up to the task of extreme accuracy on the target range.

This is his opinion not mine. By the way the gun I had worked on was a Colt Series 70 and I had a trigger job done on it by the smith. He did not recommend tightening the slide. He said it was plenty tight enough right from Colt. He said go out and try it and see if you don't agree. I did try it and the Colt shot almost one hole groups at 25 yards.

I have also seen a gun that he worked on that was a Springfield Armory but it had the slide tightened and a Kart barrel installed. It to shot one hole groups at 25 yards. The Kart barrel was not cheap but quality never is.

You may get a cheaper deal on a stock Springfield but I feel the Colt is still the better gun. W.R.

AC's & 45's
November 5, 2001, 09:42 AM
I say Colt but don't rule out Kimber.;)

tonyz
November 5, 2001, 09:43 AM
Go with the springfield Trophy Match. But then there is always kimber if you don't want to customize.

Tony

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/trophymatch-a.jpg

CastleBravo
November 5, 2001, 09:47 AM
Get a new Colt Government Model (the new ones don't say "1991A1" on them anymore).

KITT
November 5, 2001, 11:18 PM
I have a Springfield Arms "Loaded" model that I bought last year. I paid $505 for it and it has never missed a beat. A very accurate pistol...I did change the trigger to a long adj. one, but that was my preference. I traded a $525 Para Ordnance P-12 for a satin series 70 Colt Combat Commander. I have done some work on it and replaced all the springs and I really like it a lot. Don't buy what I like.... you need to shoot both guns if possible and you will know which one YOU like best.

IanS
November 6, 2001, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure what you meant by "stuck". If...

a. you're on a budget
b. you want one to customize from the ground up
c. you want a WWI era "mil-spec" model

For any of those reasons I'd go Colt. I think all bare bones 1911's are basically the same if they're from a Name company. More importantly how nice your 1911 come out will depend on who works on it and how much you're willing to spend. And last but not least it'll be a Colt. When you decide to sell it, keep it as an heirloom, or as a collector piece a Colt will maintain its value better.

Despite all its past problems and tribulations with the company I'll always have a soft spot for a gun with Sam Colt's name on it.
I myself am lusting after the new Colt 1911 they've re-released.

Rovert
November 6, 2001, 01:03 AM
Sundance, this poll I posted not too long ago might help.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85445

Tamara
November 6, 2001, 01:14 AM
...I am shocked, shocked that the Wild One would recommend a gun with a plastic trigger and mainspring housing over the all-metal Springfield. ;)

Truthfully, on average, the 1991A1's barrel probably has better accuracy potential than the Springfield's two-piece unit. However, I've seen many Springfield "Loaded" guns recently that delivered phenominal accuracy and reliability right from the box. My roomie's Stainless "Loaded" is a tackdriver and has been 100% reliable thus far with ball, Gold Dots and MagTech Gold 185gr +P JHP's. (The latter round being a JHP with a very agressive profile that is a notorious choker of stock 1911's on par with CCI's venerable 200gr "Flying Ashtray")

7th Fleet
November 6, 2001, 08:03 PM
Get the Colt, anything else is a clone and I have seen lots of posts on the gun boards where Springfield Armory 1911 owners have been having problems. But if this is your first 1911 get the real thing for your first one. I own 19 different variations of the 1911, everything from Springfield Armory, ODI Viking, Randall, Paraordnance, Caspian, Kimber and Colt including GI and commercial models. If it was buying my first 1911 it would be the Colt and then later I would shop around and buy something different for the collection.

7th

bfj2
November 7, 2001, 02:13 PM
If you can go with a kimber.

John

Bottom Gun
November 7, 2001, 03:04 PM
I have both Kimbers and Colts. I prefer the Kimbers.

another point to consider:
I have no experience with Kimber service, but I can tell you first hand that Colt's repair service is absolutely terrible.

Kermit
November 7, 2001, 03:16 PM
For a gun you wanted to turn into a project, the Springfield. If you want something with some true mystique, the Colt. But you really won't go wrong with either :)

Mithirium
November 7, 2001, 03:21 PM
Consider a Colt, as the new 1991's I have seen actually have Government Model slides with the prancing pony and a stainless barrell. It makes my old 1991 seem less adequate :(