PDA

View Full Version : 700 BDL problem?

slick slidestop
November 1, 2001, 10:02 PM
I bought a new 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. Had the trigger reduced to 4lbs and BBL freefloated by a Gunsmith. Put a Leuopold 4.5 X14 on it. It shoots less than MOA groups on a rest. (This is the new model 700BDL with the locking mechanism in the bolt)

Here's the problem: (I had this problem before I had the work done to it)

After the 2nd or 3rd shot without allowing time to cool off, sometimes it is hard to cycle the bolt and eject the spent round. The bolt handle pulls up easily but is very hard to pull back. If you wait a few, it will allow you to cycle it.

I am using factory 165 gr Federal Sierra Game King BTSP. This is my first Belted Magnum, but I wouldn't think this is normal.

Could it be that goofy locking mechanism? Are the cases expanding due to the heat, and just need to cool off ? Will Remington consider my Warranty voided because of the trigger job and free floating?

I am without a clue. Any help is appreciated. :confused:

James K
November 2, 2001, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a tight chamber; they probably used an old reamer on yours. I suggest calling or writing Remington and see what they say. Alternatively, you might get by with polishing the chamber or having a gunsmith run in another reamer.

I doubt the problem is due to the locking mechanism or it wouldn't go away.

Jim

colorado
November 2, 2001, 10:15 PM
Have you checked your cases after they have been fired? Are the primers cratered. Are there shiny spots on the head of the case (bottom). If the answer to one or both of these questions is yes, you may have a tight chamber or a batch of "hot" ammo. Try shooting some good old $10.00 box 150 g. Remington Core Lokts. If you have the same problem, don't go to a gunsmith, call Remington and they will fix it for free....