PDA

View Full Version : Urinating at the stand

nedfig
October 29, 2001, 05:58 PM
What do yall do when the 5 cups of coffee you drank on the way to the lease has finally made it to your bladder?:)

CD1
October 29, 2001, 07:04 PM
I carry a 32 oz GatorAid bottle with me. Its the perfect size for my treestand (Old Man Vision stand). Its the perfect size for getting everything in the bottle and it holds a lot. Its rare that I go more than 32 oz in a morning, it happens, but its rare. I've heard people say that urinating doesn't spook the deer, but its easy enough to carry the bottle and not have to worry about it either way.

M1911
October 29, 2001, 07:46 PM
I've started carrying a bottle. Of course, since I've started carrying a bottle, I haven't had to use it :rolleyes:

M1911

biganimal
October 29, 2001, 08:06 PM
I just let it rip. I do it where I don't have to stand or walk in it. I shoot a deer every year. Two years ago I shot a 4 pt buck while he was sniffing my puddle.

C.R.Sam
October 29, 2001, 08:42 PM
And to think, some folks pay good money for store bought buck bait.

Sam

Kingcreek
October 29, 2001, 11:24 PM
My stand is directly over a creek. It gets diluted and eventually reaches the ocean.

Poodleshooter
October 30, 2001, 12:04 AM
Why, I bring along a Mountain Dew aka "Panther Piss" bottle. Doesn't everyone else? :D
What a topic.....

nedfig
October 30, 2001, 09:01 AM
What about "solid" waste?:)

Paul B.
October 30, 2001, 09:28 AM
It is my understanding that solid waste will not spook and animal, but urine will. Kind of like a dog marking it's territory.:D
Paul B.

Robert the41MagFan
October 30, 2001, 12:50 PM
Bed wetter! Run out of Depends diapers! :)

Been doing the tree stand deal for over 20 years. And if there is one thing that I have learned is that if your quarry has not come within the 5 or so hours that you are sitting, it ain't coming and you're in the wrong spot. Think that any grown man can pinch off his pecker (squeeze the cheeks for the ladies) for 5 hours. And it is not the pee that's the problem, it's the noise. Supposedly, your animal is coming from upwind. So if the location is a one time deal, pee smell is not going to matter. But if you do pee, like Paul said, you just marked the territory. Strong foreign smells and game animals don't mix well.

Robert

Spectre
October 30, 2001, 02:19 PM
I take a 32 oz Gator Aid bottle. Sometimes I take more than one...

I drink A LOT of water!

dZ
October 30, 2001, 05:41 PM
i go on a little still hunt expedition and mark someone elses territory

with enough terrain knowledge you can scent mark a drive line that forces the deer right into your truck
;)
one of the prefered deer stands at camp is the outhouse

aerod1
October 30, 2001, 10:15 PM
I whiz right there. I harvest at least 3 deer a year. The deer seem to pay no attention to it.
Jim

Seronac
October 31, 2001, 12:12 AM
To those with Mountain Dew or Gatorade bottles:

Be careful not to drink from the wrong bottle! :eek: :barf:

;)

KYE-OAT
November 2, 2001, 12:14 PM
...........I have used the same tactic to spoil a competitors' trapline before, as well.....

Kobra
November 2, 2001, 01:39 PM
I drank 19 beers the night before a big deer hunt on my uncle's farm and needless to say the sun chased the deer sausage out of me after about 3 hours in the stand with some decent ralphing...oops

Saw three deer and then the next weekend, my uncle shot a big buck out of that same stand.

He asked if I would come up there sometime and "bait" all of his stands...smarta$$..

JosephBoeckner
November 2, 2001, 08:30 PM
kobra-sounds like u know what ur doing :-p
:rolleyes:

cnimrod
January 6, 2010, 12:29 PM
with my own urine, haven't shot a deer over one yet but have found deer tracks in them.
It is easy enough to do.

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/10-05/10-30-05/e09sp717.htm

Brian Pfleuger
January 6, 2010, 12:34 PM
I've heard before that deer pay no attention to human urine. There was a website/blog that I saw a couple/few years ago where the guy actually studied it out and he claimed that the deer reacted to his human urine scraps just the same as they did to the real ones. Ever since then, when I'm on stand I just "let it fly".

johnwilliamson062
January 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't even climb down. Of course I have only been deer hunting two years and my only deer was a fluke buck we woke up/startled while chatting on our way back to deer camp on a very very cold day. Three guns, 15 yards and 5 slugs. Poor thing. At least they were all boiler room and forward.

Tamara
January 6, 2010, 01:02 PM
Deer were hunted to near-extinction east of the Mississippi by guys with muzzle loaders and iron-sighted leverguns who stank of coffee and lye and pee'ed wherever they wanted.

Y'all guys are lucky.

I just make sure I take care of business before I go out, and silently thank my dad for all those long roadtrips with no stops when I was little that taught me the bladder control of a Spartan. :o

troy_mclure
January 6, 2010, 02:10 PM
i used to haul a 32oz bottle, but i had a doe walk up to within 5' of me while i was takin a leak on the logging road.

i dont much still hunt anymore tho.

Old Grump
January 6, 2010, 02:58 PM
Possible kidney infection and pain or let loose, easy decision. Don't drop your load in the creek though, laws against it and we have enough pollution problems. Just don't dribble where you stand, I hate muddy feet and it won't smell right when your boots warm up at home.

22-rimfire
January 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
Bottle comes in handy. I honestly don't think it matters if you urinate by your stand but I would prefer to error on the conservative side. Anything thing that reduces the amount of movement is a good thing on a stand.

fisherman66
January 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
I used to carry a big Gatorade bottle, but still waters run deep so I switched to a 4 deep tennis ball can.

ZeroJunk
January 6, 2010, 10:07 PM
I just stand up and let it fly. I have had deer walk right by it and never make any indication that they even knew it was there.

Sometimes deer smell you from 75 yards away, blow their guts out and get out of town. And, sometimes they walk in your tracks and stand right under you munching on something.

Who knows.

LateNightFlight
January 6, 2010, 10:33 PM
I don't worry about it. If I have to pee, I pee. Usually I go for distance. If there's snow on the ground, I try for art. Mix it up a little... be creative. Use your camera phone to document your skills any time your initials or a peace sign is almost perfect.

I've tried both ways... bottled relief and fully uncorked, and it doesn't seem to matter. Either the deer scent you and are reactive or they're not, pee or no pee. I've watched deer move into my "cone of scent" downwind and take immediate notice, even though everything about me and my stand was pristine. Other times I've had deer bed down under the stand where I’ve used no caution at all. Go figure.

For certain, deer can be conditioned. When I put up my stands, I immediately bless the site. By the time the season opener comes around, my scent isn’t peculiar and deer that frequent the area have learned my scent is harmless. (Or so they think.)

jdscholer
January 7, 2010, 12:45 AM
We hunt elk with bow and rifle, and have always spent a lot of time and money keeping our clothes and gear as scent free as is practical and possible.

That being said, a couple of years ago, in the middle of the night, we had a small herd of elk walk right through our camp (where a lot of pee has been pee'd) and about 20 feet from our toilet TP (deep pit latrine). Go figure.

It seems like the longer that we are camped in one spot, the less worried the animals are by us. I imagine it's the same for a stand. They get used to your smells, even urine, and just go about their business. jd

Willie Lowman
January 7, 2010, 12:50 AM
Peeing by the stand... I would think the Judge wouldn't like that.

I don't pee where I sit. I usually go where I park my quad. I ride to within 200-300 yards of my spot.

Sitting still for five hours is a bigger challenge for me than not peeing.

James R. Burke
January 7, 2010, 05:03 PM
I dont think it matters much, but I do take a bottle and since then have not used it. Just dont like getting in and out of the blind. Before I post up I try to just have alittle water way before I go, and most the time I wont have two.

rantingredneck
January 7, 2010, 05:11 PM
I used to worry about this kinda stuff. Now my procedure is:

1) stand up.
2) turn to right (my pull up rope and where I lower my gun is to the left :))
3) unzip
4) let fly
5) sit back down and hunt.

I kill 4 or 5 deer a year and so far none has complained about the smell of my urine.

rdmallory
January 7, 2010, 06:52 PM
I don't think it makes much difference. I go where ever I have to go. Never seen one act spooked smelling me or my Jeep. My dad used to laugh at me parking and walking to the stand. He would park under his stand and had a deer walk by and look in it. Dad said it was looking for the keys. It is all what they are used to seeing and smelling I guess.

Spooked more by clicking the safety off then by smell. Sound or movement will spook one for sure. Personally I don't have much faith in the attractants or smell blockers. The only thing the attractants seam to attract in hunters money.

This does not go for smoking in the stand. I can smell some one light up 1/2 mile away.

Doug

Catfish25p2000
January 7, 2010, 07:10 PM
I pee out of my stand and kill deer every year. Not saying it isn't bad, but if I can't hold it, I do it.

Fat White Boy
January 7, 2010, 11:38 PM
Mi problem with a Gatorade bottle is the top isn't big enough around...

22-rimfire
January 8, 2010, 12:34 AM
Guess you need a mason jar.

Uncle Buck
January 8, 2010, 07:43 AM
My experience has been if I am in the woods and I urinate, no big deal. The deer just walk on by (Actually, this year, now that we have a point restriction, they sauntered by, flaunting the fact their racks are too small).

If I am in a small stand of trees in a field, the deer seem to avoid getting to close to it if I have urinated anywhere near the small stand of trees.

The biggest problem I have is what to do with the cigarette butts? :rolleyes:

Fat White Boy
January 9, 2010, 12:23 AM
I am a legend in my own mind...

sc928porsche
January 9, 2010, 07:06 AM
I dont hunt from trees

N.H. Yankee
January 9, 2010, 10:21 AM
I don't worry about it, a few years back while I was archery hunting, I made the mistake of having a scrambled egg breakfast ( eggs act like draino on me ) and I climbed out of my stand and went about 80 yards ( as far as I could make it ) and the projectile evacuation began. I couldn't get away fast enough:eek:

Well I climbed back in my stand and 5 minutes later a large 8 point comes walking through the woods and right to my nuclear waste pile. He stood there checking it out for at least a full minute and left. I was surprised to say the least, if I had known that I would have done it within bow range.

ZeroJunk
January 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yankee, if you had topped it off with some chili beans he may have passed out and you could have gotten him.

Buzzard Bait
January 9, 2010, 01:18 PM
I haven't tried it but I have wondered if you were to pee in that old bucks scape if he would consider it a chalenge and react buy building more scapes and returning more often to cover your pee with his you now sort of a p-----g contest.
BB

warbirdlover
February 20, 2010, 01:10 AM
There are some famous hunters that make a mock scrap and pee in it and it supposedly draws deer in. I took this to new levels this year. I have a nice elevated box stand with windows and roof. I have been taking a bottle to do my deed in but end up emptying it out the window so this year I bought some hose, a funnel and rigged a "urinal" up in my stand that empties on a mock scrap on the ground. Didn't scare and deer and didn't draw any in but it's the only box stand in the woods with modern conveniences. Now I'm working on the "other" issue and that's a little tougher. :D

Edward429451
February 20, 2010, 02:08 PM
I dont stand hunt but I pee on all scrapes and beds. Dominant ego and I will kill them if I see them and make stir fry. :D

ky hunter
February 20, 2010, 07:30 PM
Please tell me that when you are facing the wind you don't pee out of your stan.Because I thougt you are suppose to face the wind when you get on stan.If you do I hope you have more presure then me.

waterfowler
February 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
Just let her fly.

Greybeard
February 22, 2010, 10:23 PM
I've done the extremes from standing up and letting 'er fly to putting funnels in blinds with hoses running to and buried underground. Like others have said, I have still got deer every year. For some reason, lady friend who loves coffee, seems to prefer being put in one of the stands by herself with the "female friendly" funnel arrangement. Patent Pending. ;)

Regolith
February 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
I dont hunt from trees

Same here. Mostly because where I hunt, there aren't any, and the power companies frown on using their poles...;)

Dr. Strangelove
February 22, 2010, 11:01 PM
Original post was October of 2001!:rolleyes:

That said, I just let 'er fly as needed!

benny7mmWSM
February 23, 2010, 10:30 PM
hey i will not lie about the solid waste i once walked outta the woods -2 gloves. l0l

Double Naught Spy
February 24, 2010, 07:45 AM
While I don't try peeing from elevation, I have peed near the stand on occasion and seemingly without harm or notice. Generally speaking, I try to stop consuming fluid at least an hour before going up and that way it isn't a problem. I am usually good for 3-4 hours.

This thread, as with others, reminds me of the near-religious beliefs people have about hunting practices and rituals with some many of them being conflicting. Do or don't go to the bathroom near the stand. Do or don't eat in the stand...smoke, wear camo, use special soap, scent cover, use a stand, etc. etc. etc.

About the only things folks agree on when it comes to hunting deer is that you should not make a lot of noise or movement, unless you are driving animals and then you want a lot of noise and movement. Beyond that, it all seems open for debate.

e-bear
February 28, 2010, 07:33 PM
My wife and I were hunting an invitational hunt in New Kent County, Virginia.
She was in an elevated box blind when she decided it was time for some relief. She always carries in her fanny pack a couple of those disposable pee packets that absorb the pee and kinda solidify it in a nice lil sealed up container. With the female anatomy the way it is and all the hunting clothes she had to deal with wasnt aint a perty picture, believe me.
Well anyway she was about midstream when she decided to peak over the rail. Lo and behold there was a nice doe just standing there at about 15 yards. My sweetheart kinda pinched her thighs together, picked up her ML and put a nice divot where the deers brains were sitting just a split second earlier. She put down her rifle and went back to the business at hand.

Just another day in the woods.

Thats a hunting story we will never forget. She'll be telling that one for years to come.

jammin1237
February 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
i love coffee, good stuff... there is a time and place for everything in this world, hammerin down a pot of joe before hunting just wont do it for me... i prefer to stay high and dry:D

dropthehammer
February 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
I try to hold it till I have a shot at a squirrel. Use caution on running shots.

TheNatureBoy
February 28, 2010, 08:42 PM
I've been whizzin' in the woods during hunts for years and trust me, the deer don't pay it any attention at all.

big bug
February 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
Gatorade bottle sounds about right because it has the larger opening to accomodate

87mustang
March 9, 2010, 07:51 PM
pee on the tree you are sitting in so it doesn't make a bunch of noise instead of straight below you onto dry leaves. with a little skill you can make a quiet little river right down the tree.

or if you have a video camera handy, pee on a doe when she walks under your stand, that would make for a good laugh:) i have never done that..................on video that is.

Kreyzhorse
March 9, 2010, 08:47 PM
I don't believe that deer are the slightest bit concerned about my urine. I ground hunt now days, and I usually walk a few feet away from my spot, but I've been doing it for years and the deer have continued to show up.