PDA

View Full Version : Defender range report and want to say thanks to the board!

windknot
October 21, 2001, 05:31 PM
First let me say thanks to all of you for all of your help and sharing of knowledge with a rookie like myself. I am really greatful for finding this board and it has definitely speeded my learning curve. Again, my sincere thanks.

Now to the range report. Got the new Defender 45 and not being a very good pistolero I am really pleased with the accuracy out of the box of a 3" barreled pistol. At 5 and 10 yards I was shooting groups of about 4" AT 15yards shooting probably 8"group. Like I said I'm not much of a pistol shot (not yet anyway) but I'm sure this will improve with practice. Ran 50 rounds of 185 gr. JHP and 50 230 gr. JHP and found the 185 more accurate for the factory sighting. The 230 consistantly shot lower.

Out of the 100 rounds had 1 feed jam where the round did not make it up the feed ramp. I've learned from the board that this is a somewhat common occurance with a new gun. So I'm going to run a few hundred through it before doing any polishing.

I found that the trigger was a little heavy to my liking and WILL be getting a trigger job soon. But all in all I am very please with the Defender so far.

If you have any suggestions to help me out on improving my shooting, constructive critism is welcome. If for that fact you have any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks again!

Bandit
October 21, 2001, 05:39 PM
Nice choice in pistols and pretty good shooting for a newbie.. Being able to hold an 8" group your first time out at 15 yards is GREAT! With time and practice you'll get those groups down to your 5-10 yard results with the Colt Defender. Shooting "center of mass", 8" groups will get the job done if needed to defend yourself..

Rick