PDA

View Full Version : First time out with an AR-15...

Marko Kloos
October 21, 2001, 12:34 AM
Today, myself, Tamara and kn4qb went out to burn some serious powder at our local rifle club. It was a perfect 70-degree day, and we spent over 4 hours shooting various rifles at 100 and 200 yards.

I brought my M1 Carbine, the Swedish Mauser, and the German "byf" Mauser. Tamara brought her new Ruger No.1 International in .243 Winchester to get the Leupold scope sighted in, and kn4qb supplied a neat bunch of rifles, among which were a Springfield M1A, a Colt AR-15 HBAR, and a Springfield M1 Garand.

We had some groundhog targets, as well as standard rifle targets, and several of the paper groundhogs went up at 100 and 200 yards. The first groundhog at 100 received some incoming fire from the M1 Carbine, using the iron sights, hitting him twice out of five rounds and bracketing him with the rest. (Remembering the "M1 Carbine Thread That Would Not Die", I still hold the opinion that a carbine which delivers hits on a groundhog at 100 yards off-hand is plenty combat accurate.)

Much excellent marksmanship was displayed, including quarter-inch groups out of the Ruger No.1 once the scope was dialed in properly. The second gorundhog at 200 yards was taken under fire by the Springfield M1A and never had a chance, a ten-round group clustering around his little cranium.

The surprise of the day, however, was my first experience with an AR-15. I picked the standard rifle target at 200 yards and popped away off-hand, standing. I didn't bother with the spotting scope, since it was in use at the time, and figured I'd check on the 200-yard target when we'd walk up to check on the other targets. We safe the line, walk up to check the holes in the rifle target...and I'll be damned if the entire magazine didn't land in the black, with five rounds clean in the 10-ring. Much ballyhoo ensues, I feel pretty good about my shooting skills with an unfamiliar rifle, and on the way back to the bench I get asked, "What kind of sights did you use?"

"Uh, I left it on battle sights."

kn4qb and Tamara do a double-take and look at each other funny.

"What?" I ask. "Should I have taken the other sight?" The battle aperture was, after all, marked 0-200, so I figured it'd be ok to use at 200.

After being politely informed that I made the job unnecessarily difficult on my self by using a sight aperture the diameter of a Ford Explorer at 200 yards, I decide that I do like the poodle shooters after all.

Great, now I have to get myself a Bushmaster. Anything that lets me pop the X-ring offhand and standing at 200 yards in such a fashion, is something I need in my gun closet.

Tamara
October 21, 2001, 01:19 AM
And I forgot my new Springfield Professional back at the shop! I'll never get to shoot the thing at this rate... razzinfrazzlquiptingrumble:mad:

On the other hand, I was very pleased with the Federal 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in the No. 1, and fired an AR again for the first time in years. Plus, I was given a magic lucky penny for scope adjustments! :D

kn4qb
October 21, 2001, 08:26 AM
What a perfect day! I thought I was off to another Saturday- morning-the-range-will-be-full day. Tamara was supposed to go with Lendringser & myself but, another employee came into the shop looking like DEATH on a cracker and Tamara offered to let him go back home. Not only did he stay and work while we went to have FUN, but he handed his Anschutz (Redneck translation: "ain-shoots") over the counter (with ammo) and said "Try this while you are there, have fun!"

We had the range to ourselves! Due to a couple of other events, we had the 200 yard range for several hours. Well, except for the deaf squirrel that paraded back and forth at the 50 yard target stand.

Not only was it cool to have that many firearms to enjoy, but my partners-in-fun were as safety minded as myself. I committed the only foul! When I took out the X with Tamara's new No. 1, I left the spent case in the chamber.

I really wish a couple of things:

1. We had eaten lunch before we went.
2. We had taken a camera.
3. I could tell how lendringser really feels about the AR.
4. My jaw didn't hurt from grinning so much.
5. My Jeep would haul more guns.
6. That lendringser would believe me when I say "If it is here, I brought it to shoot." (We had to twist his arm, load mags for him, and force him to shoot the AR)
7. I could tell how lendringser REALLY feels about the AR.
8. Everybody could appreciate how much fun safely throwing lead downrange can be.

p.s. Thanks Jay!!

Long Path
October 23, 2001, 11:37 AM
Hey Tams, whachoo gonna choot wit' dose 70g BT's?

Dey's some kinda accurate, but kinda puny for whitetail! You try'm 100 grainers, yet? Federal meksum mean Prem'um ammo in hunned grain.

( ;) No, really: whose ammo were you using to get such pretty 1/4" groups?)

--L.P.

Long Path
October 23, 2001, 11:39 AM
Uh oh. Lendringser knows about Practical Accuracy, and how to implement it.

Don't tick the man off. :)

--M.

dZ
October 23, 2001, 12:39 PM
the 5.56 round out of an AR is a joy to shoot.

heres a nifty "trick"

Try shooting with the tip of your nose on the charging handle,
you get a really repeatable cheek weld

On the AR15 list, Chuck Santose is writing about an experimental Quick kill AR training platform he shot in the Army.

an AR with no sights!

He claims that after a few cases of ammo, his squad was very adept at shooting COM of mansized targets at 200 yards.

:cool:

kinda like paintballing

Tamara
October 23, 2001, 08:12 PM
Dey's some kinda accurate, but kinda puny for whitetail! You try'm 100 grainers, yet? Federal meksum mean Prem'um ammo in hunned grain.

I figured I'd sight it in with the 70gr Noslers and then on my next range trip check POI with the 100gr Gamekings. (It's more likely to see varmint than deer use, but in E. Tenn, "varminting" is likely to be a 2-300 yard proposition and encounters with sub-Rottweiler-sized Appalachian whitetail are frequently nose-to-nose)

sigmund
October 23, 2001, 11:11 PM
lendringser

Stick with the big rear sight on the AR-15. I took a course from Mr. AR-15, Jim Crews, and he wouldn't let us use the smaller rear ring, period.

When you aim the AR-15, you have to let your eye subconsciously center the tip of the front sight in the middle of the rear sight. You should be doing this without giving it a lot of thought. Your body and your eye want to do this naturally, without you having to explain it to them. Because you can't focus on both sights at the same time anyway, the larger ring is less conspicuous in your conscious mind than the smaller one. Also, you can't hold the front sight perfectly motionless in the center of the rear ring, so if you use the smaller rear ring, you will be more aware of the movement, and more worried about it.

That was over a year ago; haven't used the small sight since.

Jeff Thomas
October 24, 2001, 12:11 AM
Very impressive. Sounds like a great day.

Curious about the AR. Was it the Shorty, Dissipator, 20", or ????? [Yeah ... I'm just trying to find a way to make myself feel better ... ;) ]

Regard sfrom AZ

mini14jac
October 24, 2001, 07:17 AM
Hey guys, (and gals),
I didn't know we had such a TFL presence in East Tenn.
I'm just down the highway in Cleveland.
I shoot at the Cleveland Hunting Rifle and Pistol Club.
What is the name of the club in the Knoxville area?

I bet I could get a TFL shoot together at CHRPC.

Ditto on the AR15.
I have a Bushmaster, A2, 16" M4 profile.
Love it!

JP

Marko Kloos
October 24, 2001, 09:19 PM
The AR was a Colt AR-15 HBAR, pre-ban. I'd love one of those, but pre-bans are a bit pricy these days. I might just spring for a Bushmaster Shorty instead.

Good advice on the battle sight...I didn't even try to focus on the rear ring, and that whole "natural centering" thing seemed to work just fine.

We shot at ORSA in Oak Ridge...they have the only 1,000-yard rifle range in this part of the country, I believe.

mini14jac
October 25, 2001, 11:36 AM
The OSRA was featured on American Shooter two weeks ago.
http://www.americanshooter.com

Got my interest up.
I'm thinking about heading up there for the service rifle qualifications.
It looks like a great club.

JP