PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions About Remington 710

The Silver Bullet 1719
October 20, 2001, 12:01 AM
Okay, I am getting into hunting, and I saw an article on Remington's New 710. The first ? is if anybody can recommend it? The 2nd ? is a hunting one, but should I got for a 270 or a 30-06, I will be doing deer hunting, and I don't want alot of recoil because it is my enemy:mad: Please Help me out!!!

Stephen Ewing
October 20, 2001, 12:09 AM
1st) No, you will not find anybody who recommends it. Unless you want to count people on Remington's payroll. If it was my money, I'd come back with a Howa, or a military bolt.

2nd) What kind of deer in what kind of country? Whitetail in relatively wooded areas calls for a .270. Mule Deer in relatively open country calls for a .30-06 or flatter. Either way, Pachmayr makes this wonderful pad called a Decelerator, which I'd suggest playing with.

Steve

Molon Labe!
October 20, 2001, 12:44 AM
Recoil trys to kill me, I manage to fight it off. A .270 creates alot of recoil IMHO, I have a Savage 110 .270 and it only has at the most 1/2 and inch of padding. It hurts after 20rnds of laying down resting on my Harris bi-pod. I have never shot a 30-06, so am kind of dry on that. Is it true that the larger the bullet more recoil, so doesn't seem so. My .303 brit has way less recoil than my .270.:( I origanally got a recoil pad for my .303 and found out I dont need it, but i still had it on but it slipped off at the range, don't know where it went:( I am a sad camper, in a way, I kind of like trying to have my shoulder broke(even though it's not truely possible, unless I were to shoot a .577 "T-Rex") Every one of my shooting buds runs from my .270, one of them fired Remington Core-Lokt 150grn High Vel and stays away from it:D It is one of the most recoiling(Next to a Rem870 with 3-inch mags, it almost breaks people's shoulders) Sorry for any "not important sentences"

Glock4ever
October 20, 2001, 01:23 AM
That in open flat areas the .270 is more desirable? The .270 is a much more flatter shooting cartridge than the 30.06 [being a necked down 30.06]. The only advantage that the 30.06 has over the the .270 is the better ballistic coefficient [retains energy better at longer distances]. The .270 recoils lighter, shoots at a faster velocity, and is flatter shooting cartridge.
The 710 looks crappy but I hear it is quite a decent shooter but to be honest I probably would take a Savage over a 710. Savage produces an economy model (the 111?) comparable to the 710 and contains more quality parts than the 710 but that is MHO.

rugerfreak
October 20, 2001, 01:42 AM
I have a 710 and it is a tackdriver with the cheap ammo even----its in .30-06 because that is what was offered at the time I bought it(.270 came out later)----something about the stock ---but recoil is hardly noticeable.

I'm happy with mine even though it's a little on the ugly side.

weagle
October 20, 2001, 09:28 AM
I'd stay away from the 710 mainly because you can buy a remington 700 ADL, model 70 winchester, Howa 1500 or Savage bolt rifle for only 20 to 30 dollars more. These rifles are time tested proven performers. If you are recoil sensitive, go for the .270 and shoot the 130 grain loads.

rugerfreak
October 20, 2001, 09:57 AM
$20 or $30 more------then you have to buy a scope and rings + base-------------that makes the actual difference more like $100.

That's if you were to get the 700 ADL at Wal-mart and compareable scope etc.

ENC
October 20, 2001, 12:01 PM
I think that I would give the 710 some time to work out any bugs that might show up.

Also I but guns for both their quality AND AND their appearance.

There is nothing wrong with the Savage.

As for the calibers its a toss up my choice is the 30.06 but it took me a year to be able to keep from recoil flinching. But it was a good teacher and now I can shoot it all day and not even notice.

Stephen Ewing
October 20, 2001, 03:52 PM
That .270 vs. .30-06 thing.... More a matter of size of critter than ballistics. I just like bigger bullets for bigger critters, although the .270 is certainly adequate for lots of game and can shoot flatter.

I also prefer the selection of both ammo and components in .30-06 for finding something the rifle likes at longer ranges. Much like the kind of deer in the kind of country, it depends how you want to weight variables.

Steve

weagle
October 20, 2001, 11:01 PM
Rugerfreak, actually I was being a bit generous on the difference. The Bass Pro shops here in atlanta had a package savage bolt with scope for $335.00 and a package model 70 pushfeed for $355.00 so there really is only about 30 bucks difference. Because the model 70 bolt locks directly into the barrel it may turn out to be a very accurate and strong design. I have not shot a 710, but several that I have handled had such tight actions that I would not want to start a beginner out with one. My local gunshop would not sell the first 3 they received because of the overly tight action. They sent them all back to be replaced. I have no doubt that wallmart will sell a good many of the 710's. Myself, I will hold out and buy one next year for about $150.00 to mess around with. Good shooting, weagle

Will Beararms
October 21, 2001, 12:27 AM
The bolt works loose in time to a managble level but I tell you they are extremely accurate for $318.00 + Tax.