PDA

View Full Version : Custom work via internet, need advice

windknot
October 19, 2001, 07:57 PM
I found an internet site that advertises custom packages on specific pistols. Company called Scott, McDougall & Associates. Anybody know anything about this company or ever used them? Take a look at this site for Defender work and let me know what you think. www.colt380.com/defender htm. Good deal? Better suggestions?

blades67
October 19, 2001, 08:03 PM
They have an excellent reputation. You might also look at Cylinder & Slide.

johnwill
October 19, 2001, 09:31 PM
I've sent three guns to SM&A, and they've always done excellent work. They're not cheap, but you do get what you pay for in this case.

CastleBravo
October 19, 2001, 09:57 PM
My personal experience with Burns Custom Pistols has been outstanding.

http://www.burnscustom.com

Dane Burns pretty much did all the work on the internals of my Delta Elite... Bar-Sto barrel, AFTEC extractor, Videcki trigger, etc. Great guy to deal with and the gun shoots like a champ.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1506960&a=12652528&p=55381245&Sequence=0&res=high

johnwill
October 20, 2001, 03:50 PM
In a discussion here or over at the 1911 forum, I can't really remember the venue, I made a comment, the exact content that I can't even recall, but it wasn't a hanging offense. Dane Burns took exception, and posted a rather nasty reply. This was OK, it's his right. However, he then stepped over the line, and sent me a scathing nasty email on the issue, telling me what an idiot he thought I was. IMO, that crosses the line, I would never do that to someone in a forum. If you aren't man enough to say it on-line, I suggest you don't say it at all.

With that in mind, I wouldn't send any business to him, or recommend him to anyone. If he flies off the handle for a casual comment in an on-line forum, what happens if you have a disagreement with him over the work on your gun? Maybe you get bandsawed pieces of gun back! :( No thanks, I'll stick to people that keep their cool.

WESHOOT2
October 21, 2001, 12:18 AM
Top-line outfit; spend in peace KNOWING you will be returned a custom work of art. If you pay.

CastleBravo
October 21, 2001, 02:33 AM
Johnwill,

Gee, that's quite a stretch... I don't remember anything about anything anyone said except so-and-so was an a-hole. :rolleyes:

To summarize: you know absolutely nothing about how he treats his customers or the quality of his work. In my experience both were outstanding. Other people's experience with him and others may vary, which is just as good/bad/what-have-you as my experience. All of it should be taken with a grain of salt. But, to recap, you have exactly zero knowledge of these things yet infer that he will spontaneously destroy your property. :p

BobR
October 21, 2001, 03:57 AM
boys, boys, boys....let not get that started again....play nice with each other or don't play at all.http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/ruinkai/peepwallA.gif

bob

johnwill
October 21, 2001, 10:25 AM
"To summarize: you know absolutely nothing about how he treats his customers or the quality of his work."

No, but I do know how he treats someone in a casual relationship. I have no desire to get up close and personal and find out the hard way!

As far as him destroying your property, you are correct. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen, that was more a "tongue in cheek" comment, which I probably shouldn't have made.

foghorn
October 21, 2001, 11:32 AM
SM&A did work on my Kahr P9. Excellent work. They were great to deal with.

Steve