PDA

View Full Version : Design flaw in Ruger P97?

Ed2000
October 19, 2001, 06:48 AM
On the Ruger board, some people have been discussing a problem with the slide release flying out of the gun during firing. My P97 slide release is rather loose, but has not caused any malfunctions. There is nothing to keep it in the gun except tension. When the slide is lined up with the disassembly notch, any pressure on the slide stop will push it out. I guess some other guns like the 1911 have nothing keeping the slide stop in the gun, but the ease of movement of this part on the P97 is a little disturbing. Have any of you had problems? Does this sound like a design flaw?

ojibweindian
October 19, 2001, 07:51 AM
I have the P95, and have never had a problem with the slide release sliding out at an inopportune moment.

Walt Sherrill
October 19, 2001, 08:28 AM
Design flaw?

No. Too many of them are working properly. It sounds, instead, like a small production run with some part out of spec. Perhaps the pin.

9mmLaw
October 19, 2001, 08:50 AM
I have had the problem of the slide stop coming out. In addition I have experienced the magazines falling out after every one or two shots and it is not me inadvertently hitting the release. That is the first thing I thought of. Anyway, it was sent bact to Ruger last week and we will see what they do. This is the second time in 5 months it has had to go back.:(

James K
October 19, 2001, 01:18 PM
The Model 1911 slide release is interlocked with the slide so it can come out only at one point. It will not come out in normal operation.

Jim

Tamara
October 19, 2001, 02:08 PM
...the only "design flaw" in any of the P-series Ruger centerfire semiautos I've seen is related to their size and aesthetics, not their accuracy, engineering or reliability... ;)

VictorLouis
October 19, 2001, 02:32 PM
What Jim said. If that little 'lip' which rides under the slide should shear off, that's the only way I could envision this.

STEVE M
October 19, 2001, 03:19 PM
I had that happen with mine once (starting to come out before I saw it). I was using the indoor range's ball ammo (don't know the brand, suspect it was local reloads). I haven't had it happen again though. I just figured they were reloaded on the long side and were bumping the slide stop.
Let us know what Ruger does/says I may need to send mine back or order a part.

NINE
October 19, 2001, 05:04 PM
I've looked at my P97 when I heard of this "problem". There is such a slim door of opportunity for this to happen because the slide stop has a guide on it, which rides behind(inside) the slide, that has to be lined up with the disassembly notch on the slide for it to come out. Simply pushing on it will remove it. So, the only way I can see this happening(my theory anyways) is that some part(s) are misaligned, causing a "torquing" action when the pistol is fired which pushes the slide stop against the slide, allowing it to "pop" out of the disassembly notch on the slide as it pushes over it.

I guess some people just had the bad luck to get some bum parts... my P97 has worked flawlessly.

CastleBravo
October 19, 2001, 10:43 PM
Well, the P97 is really large and really ugly. In guns as in girlfriends, I consider those pretty serious design flaws... :D

SamC
October 20, 2001, 08:27 PM
People that own Glucks call Ruger pistols ugly? That's a joke right? :D SamC

Dogjaw
October 20, 2001, 10:03 PM
My only concern is that if I ever have to use that Ruger in self defense, is hoping the sucker on the other end thinks it's the ugliest sight he's ever seen in his life.

Rebeldon
October 21, 2001, 12:09 PM
I read about that problem on the Ruger Forum also. I think, if I remember correctly, that the consensus was that it was an aberration and not a consistant flaw.

I had a Ruger P97 and never had that problem. In fact, I never had any problem other than I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Shok
October 22, 2001, 12:21 PM
I've never heard of this problem before. The mag falling out is an old problem, new spring and it will work flawless. I haven't had a problem with my P97 after two years and 2000+ rounds.

Shok

glock glockler
October 22, 2001, 12:27 PM
CastleBravo, in regards to the large and ugly ones, well, someone's gotta give em lovin:)

My only complaint about the P97 is that the ergonomics are not that great, maybe a Houge grip will solve that?

blades67
October 23, 2001, 01:52 AM
CastleBravo - What you said! :D

glock glockler - Better you than me! :p

edteach
October 19, 2008, 12:19 AM
I just bought a p97, took it to the range and it threw the slide pin every 5 shots. It threw it 6 feet away. I bought this gun from my brother who gave me the box of 50 rounds that he originaly purchased with the gun. there were 5 missing. So the gun was unused. I contacted ruger and they denied any design flaw. They pawned it off on a worn out cam block. They are sending me a new one on the house. But refused to take any blame for a problem that seems to be all over the web. I have talked with many owners of the early p97 who have had the same problem. This screams design flaw.

IdahoG36
October 19, 2008, 12:37 AM
Posted by Tamara

As far as I can tell...
...the only "design flaw" in any of the P-series Ruger centerfire semiautos I've seen is related to their size and aesthetics, not their accuracy, engineering or reliability...

So very true. They are built like a brick, but that is exactly why they are do durable, reliable, and accurate.

railroader
October 19, 2008, 12:50 AM
Wow old thread. Anyway my P97 runs like a top. I have nicer autos but the ruger is the one that stays loaded around the house. It just runs and runs. Mark

IdahoG36
October 19, 2008, 02:29 AM
Wow old thread

No kidding. I noticed that this thread is 7+ years old once you pointed that out.

Ivory Grips
October 19, 2008, 01:39 PM
Excuse me, but I believe the topic of this thread has to do with "The P-97."

IdahoG36
October 19, 2008, 01:41 PM
Ojibweindian
Excuse me, but I believe the topic of this thread has to do with "The P-97."

Cut the guy some slack. He posted that in 2001.:D:D