PDA

View Full Version : TAPCO M-16A2 kits

sharpsrifle
October 17, 2001, 10:35 PM
Hi all

Got mine today.
I've seen some widely varying reports as to the condition of these kits.
Here's what I got.

It was lathered in Cosmoline and wrapped in about 30 feet of plastic wrap.

All parts are Colt.

While the receiver finish 20-40% for color, though most of the anodizing "skin" is still intact. The high spots are worn through to the base metal. Just like you would expect from a weapon that had been carried at port arms or low ready for a long time.
The steel parts have some minor surface rust and the finish is worn thin on the high spots.

The bore, while not new, has not been abused. There is no obvious throat erosion. I will boroscope it tomorrow, if I get the chance.

Handguards and delta ring are worn. There are no crisp edges on any of the exposed surfaces. Heat shields are intact and undamaged.
The stock has plenty of wear and minor scratches. While not attractive, the stock is still serviceable. The upper buttplate screw is buggered up and rusted. The screw's drain hole is clogged. There is dirt, and rust particles from the screw, in the stock behind the buffer tube. The pistol grip is worn, with no points left on the checkering.

The buffer is in very good shape-no cracks or significant finish wear.

The bolt and carrier are also in very good condition. There is no pitting on the bolt face. The extractor and ejector look good. The carrier has that smooth oily finish that overly cleaned training weapons often have.

The fire control parts, pins, and springs are all there and appear serviceable.
Overall it is in good (as in serviceable) condition. It's not pretty. It looks like a plain vanilla, rack grade weapon that has been carried in the field for 5 or 6 years.

Hope this helps...