PDA

View Full Version : Customizing my G-26 Glock

Master Blaster
October 17, 2001, 08:53 AM
I really want to customize my favorite carry gun.

I had a thought about routing recesses gluing some inlays into the frame. Problem is that I am afraid I will ruin the structural integrity of the grip frame, and any machining will cause the plastic to melt.

Mother of pearl diamonds on both sides of the grips perhaps, or some little cupids.

1911's can be made more visually stimulating so why not a glock?

has anyone had this done or tried this?;)

Zundfolge
October 17, 2001, 09:00 AM
Robar does some cool stuff to Glocks
http://www.robarguns.com/glock1.asp

here's one of their grip reductions..but notice the finish on the slide
http://www.robarguns.com/images/glockgrip.gif

Marko Kloos
October 17, 2001, 09:03 AM
The only customization a Glock needs is a good set of night sights. The whole point behind the Glock is its utilitarian nature...it's the one gun in my safe that can take abuse without anyone cringing over nicking the finish.

But if you're so inclined (and you want to spiff your baby Glock up optically), you can install some stainless control elements, like an extended slide release and mag release button. I haven't heard of anyone doing grip inserts, but I guess you could do colored skateboard tape or something like that. I've also seen Glocks with professionally chromed slides.

ArmySon
October 17, 2001, 09:32 AM
Mother of pearl diamonds on both sides of the grips perhaps, or some little cupids.
ON A GLOCK??????

bfj2
October 17, 2001, 11:34 AM
Glocks are not ment to be fixed up all pretty. I agree with lendringser
The only customization a Glock needs is a good set of night sights. The whole point behind the Glock is its utilitarian nature...it's the one gun in my safe that can take abuse without anyone cringing over nicking the finish.
The only other thing I might do to a Glock is camo it.

Master Blaster
October 17, 2001, 12:01 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not looking to enchance function, it functions fine.
Night sites are definately a cosmetic enhancement.
I want mine to be different than anyone elses.

Maybe a couple of little american flags painted on the grips with some acrylic paint. There was a woman in my office who had them painted on her nails.

My neighbor does manicures at a beauty parlor, maybe I could get her to do the artwork.

Rainbow Six
October 18, 2001, 12:32 AM
Put the crack pipe down and back away from the Glock! :eek: :D

boing
October 18, 2001, 01:02 AM
Oh please...if a guy wants to spice up his pistol (Glock, Mak, HiPoint, whatever...) that's his choice.

The whole point of the 1911 was to provide a sidearm to the US military. Who ever said it's supposed to be pretty?

Screw conventional wisdom.

My only caveat is beware of experimenting with a carry gun, but you seem to be mindful of that already.

To each his own.

Ellery Holt
October 18, 2001, 01:21 AM
Am I the only one who can tell you are kidding?

CANIS
October 18, 2001, 09:29 AM
I am designing a doily attachment for the top of the slide (keeps dust off of it) and a pillow sham-like cover for the grip to keep those nasty fingerprints off of it. I also am working on a curtain attachment for models that have an accessory rail...

Don't even get me started on the best color of nailpolish for painting cute and colorful designs on bullets!

you big silly:p

have I mentioned how much I LOVE showtunes? Ethel Merman is just FABULOUS:p

leedesert
October 18, 2001, 09:40 AM
If a guy wants to make his Glock pretty then so be it. When he asks others about his silliness be prepared for the comments.

A Glock is a Combat Pistol. It is not meant to be dressed up and pretty. Any serious shooter that see's your pretty Glock is going to laugh his ass off, not be impressed.

You buy a Glock for it's purpose, not it's appearance.

Do what you want but you did ask.

Master Blaster
October 18, 2001, 09:59 AM
I'm really amazed at the responses here. Many folks own 1911s myself included, I see people having them hardcromed $175.00, front strap checkering 100-$300 rear of slide checkered $100, all kins of fancy wood grips including scrimmshawed ivory 60-$500, slide tops serrated. Folks even have the lettering and cocking serrations ground off and re finished.

All I want to do is add a medalion to the grip to personalize the glock.

So that makes me Gay???????? All the 1911 customizers must be flaming transexuals then huh. :rolleyes:

By the by I have been married to the same woman for the last 16 years, and I have two children, no interest in the same sex whatso ever.

I just want to customize my glock visually without damaging it.
I own 3 1911's and I have changed the grips on two of them to nice wood ones.. I cant change the grips on my glock.

I dont worry about scratches on my guns, my shoes or my automobile. All are to be used, driven, fired etc.

So how about those inlays?

Correia
October 18, 2001, 11:08 AM
Serious answer, I would probably send an E-mail to Robar or Arizona Response Systems. They are the 2 companies that I can think of that do grip reductions, they could probably tell/warn you about any dangers to cutting on your frame since they do that professionally. I would think that it would be perfectly safe to remove some material and then glue in some sort of inlay, but I have no idea what kind of glue would bond well to the polymer.

And I do like the little American flag idea.

But CANIS, man I laughed till I hurt. I just had visions of the Christopher Lowell show crossed with American Shooter. :D :D

CANIS
October 18, 2001, 11:17 AM
Also serious answer,

I would think that the flex in the plymer frame would make it very difficult to keep any kind of insert firmly attached. I would think they would have a tendancy to pop out. You could maybe paint something on a small area that had been relieved out though.

No, it does not make you gay! Just having a little fun!

canis;)

ArmySon
October 18, 2001, 12:55 PM
I'm really amazed at the responses here. Many folks own 1911s myself included, I see people having them hardcromed $175.00, front strap checkering 100-$300 rear of slide checkered $100
Thos customizations are functional enhancements. For the die hard shooter, it adds to his or her performance.

Hard Chrome - helps with rust, scratch resistance. Some people live in extremely humid environments where stainless even rusts. Hard chroming for them is a must. For others, they just want to have as little maintenance as possible or want their firearm to be close to scratch proof (within reason)

Front strap checkering - again, this is a performance enhancement. It adds a positive gripping surface. In a carry gun, it can be a lifesaver if an individual's hands get bloodied. A checkered front strap will provide a grip under bloody, oily or wet conditions. Some people prefer rubber wrap arounds. To each his own.

Rear of slide checkering and ivory grips are pointless in my humble opinion for a carry gun. I never cared for the look of ivory grips - especially on a whitish (hard chrome or stainless) gun. It looks too pimpy.

But like I stated before, to each his own! After all, it's your gun, your money, your tastes. :)

CWL
October 18, 2001, 05:12 PM
Do what you want. it's your money & tastes.

There are companies that will paint your frame whatever color you want in polymer paints. these'll probably stick better than acrylic paints.

Virgil Tripp does this at www. trippresearch.com, give it a look.