PDA

View Full Version : Sako 75 feedback.

Zak Smith
October 16, 2001, 05:10 PM
I have seen a various Sako 75 models and have been very impressed with the build quality. They also have a reputation for great out of the box accuracy. The short-action (.308, 7mm-08, .243) model weighs about 7lbs.

Does anyone have feedback on the standard wood-stock model vs. the stainless synthetic?

Is there a Sako 75 with a synthetic stock but blued, not stainless?

(I know there is a Tikka, but I am interested in the Sako.)

Are there any "Gotcha's" for this rifle?

thanks
-z

PJR
October 16, 2001, 07:14 PM
I own a Sako 75 in .223 Remington that does duty as my predator rifle. It's the third Sako I've owned and they are among the best production rifles being made. Mine is tackdriving accurate. 5 shots into an inch with just about anything and with properly made handloads .5" is regularly possible.

My choice was the blued model mostly because it came with a very nice figured walnut stock. The stainless wasn't as appealing. I'm not aware if the blued guns are available with the synthetic stock.

The only drawback are the Sako rings which are a little expensive as are the spare mags. Warne makes a very good Sako ring set but the Leupolds are not very good. But the low Sako rings unless you are shooting a 50mm scope.

I've been considering a .243 but would really like this rifle in .260. The 6.5x55 is only available in the longer action and in that event I would want at least a .270.

Marshall
October 17, 2001, 12:10 AM
I agree that the Sako 75 is the best production rifle I've seen. I own three. A .375H&H, .338WM, and a 30-06. I also agree the scope rings are over engineered and priced. Go with Warne. You can't get blued with syn stock. Be aware that all the belted magnum calibers use the long (.375) length actions. I don't care for this, but it does give you plenty of magazine length for those long bullets. And the Sako actions are so smooth and bind free that the long action is a dream to operate. The syn stocks are the best I've ever used. It may just be that they fit me to a tee. But the felt recoil is next to nothing in my .375 and .338. All three of my rifles are stainless.
I also own Rugers, Remingtons, and Winchesters. They just don't compare.
Marshall

Zak Smith
October 17, 2001, 12:24 AM
What is wrong with the Leupold mounts?

PJR
October 17, 2001, 09:16 AM
Sako rifles mount their scopes with a dovetailed reciever. The Leupold rings are a friction fit with a single screw clamping the ring to the receiver. I've found they come loose and are not as convenient to remove from the rifle as the Sako or Warne mounts.

RobCon
October 17, 2001, 10:27 AM
I would second the above comments on the Leupold rings for the SAKO. The ones on my SAKO .375 failed during my African hunt last month nearly flinging a Zeiss scope into the weeds. I had packed a spare 1.5-5 Leupold in SAKO mounts so all was well but Leupold hasn't responded to my email regarding the failure. I have a set on my wife's .308 and they WILL be replaced with original SAKO mounts. I also agree that these are some of the finest rifles made. Best, Rob

Zak Smith
October 17, 2001, 03:15 PM
Do the Sako mounts screw together from both sides, i.e. you can tighted both sides of the dovetail, or from just one side? How hard is it to align them correctly?

Secondly, has anyone replaced the wood stock with an aftermarket synthetic, like a McMillan?

thanks
-z

PJR
October 17, 2001, 04:01 PM
The Sako rings tighten from one side but they cover most of the dovetail. They also have a pin in the rear ring that prevents entire package from moving forward or rearward. They align well in my experience and have plastic inserts to protect the scope body.