PDA

View Full Version : Releasing the Slide on an Empty Chamber?

sundance43.5
October 16, 2001, 07:17 AM
Since Glocktalk is the most useless forum I've ever been to, perhaps you folks could answer my question. I have a Glock 17, and I pull back the slide and release it every time I dry-fire. Now I hear this is bad. But nobody will tell me how else I'm supposed to dry-fire the gun.

Any Help? I've now realized how superior this forum is to Glocktalk, which is next to useless, unless you're praising the wonder's of Gaston's little creation.

Chris

Handy
October 16, 2001, 07:37 AM
You only have to pull the slide back about half an inch to reset the striker.

Walt Sherrill
October 16, 2001, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure if it will affect the extractor on a Glock...

but you really DON'T have to pull the slide all the way back on that series of guns.

Just pull it back a fraction of an inch or so. That will reset the striker. You can even just catch the sights on your trouser leg and reset it, making a two-hand cycle unnecessary.

One competitive shooter that I know has a long interstate drive to work each day. He is constantly working on his trigger pull. As he drives, he takes his Glock, dry fires it [way below window level, so nobody sees what he's doing], snags the sights on his pants leg, and does it again, hundreds of times each day on his way to and from work.

This guy is VERY good, very fast, and very accurate. He was one of the top shooters in last year's IDPA National Championship. It works for him.

milcaztra
October 16, 2001, 07:51 AM
If you're only bringing the slide back 1/2 inch or so, or just enough to set the striker, I don't think that you'll have a problem. At least I've never heard of a problem from cocking the weapon. I have done this with Glocks thousands of times in dry fire practice, and I know others who have done the same. No one I know has ever suggested that this controlled action would damage the weapon.

What you might be referring to is locking the slide back, disengaging the slide stop, and letting the slide close on an empty chamber without anything to slow it down -- or sling-shotting the slide back with an empty weapon -- that's not good. I definitely wouldn't let the slide drop on an empty chamber with a finely tuned or expensive firearm, and I wouldn't purposefully do it with a Glock, but Glocks are pretty tuff so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Sometimes, the slide will drop during your malfunction drills anyway. Even with regular abuse, most Glocks will probably long outlast us.

leedesert
October 16, 2001, 08:46 AM
Since many of the GT members and moderators are also members and mods here, your whining probably isn't going to go very far.

In your GT thread
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42214&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
You interupted a thread that was already rolling to ask your own question. Don't get your panties in a wad because the thread didn't stop in it's tracks to answer your question.

To answer your question:
No it will not hurt your Glock. If your worried just pull your slide back about a 1/4" to reset the trigger. That is the usual drill when dry firing.

Cavè Canem
October 16, 2001, 03:38 PM
The only thing I have ever head that would hurt a glock is if you slam the slide onto a round in the champer instead of stripping it from the clip. As in, you drop a round in the barrel, let the slide go. I hear this can damage your extractor.

Fred
October 16, 2001, 05:19 PM
What leedesert said...

M1911
October 16, 2001, 08:04 PM
It is my understanding that it can hurt an M1911, particularly if it has a very light trigger (e.g., a bullseye gun). As a result, a lot of folks think it is bad for all guns. But realistically, it won't hurt your Glock.

M1911

WESHOOT2
October 16, 2001, 09:29 PM
I like bunched-up panties; hobby, you know..........

7th Fleet
October 16, 2001, 09:34 PM
On a 1911 with a tuned trigger, if you allow the slide to slam forward, it can batter the sear, which is not a good thing. The way to let the slide down on such a gun, is to pull the trigger to the rear and hold it back and then let the slide go forward and then release the trigger....7th

Shake
October 16, 2001, 10:25 PM
sundance43.5,

You're supposed to have a handgun with second strike capabilities so that you can practice your DA dry firing without having to rack the slide each time. . . Just kidding.

I don't think you're going to hurt your GLOCK by doing that. Especially if, as others have mentioned, you just rack it enough to reset the trigger.

I don't like to drop the slide with the slide all the way to the rear unless chambering a round (on empty). Don't see any reason to subject it to more battering than necessary.

Shake

Redlg155
October 16, 2001, 11:38 PM
Whether or not it hurts a weapon to do so, I won't subject any of my weapons to that kind of treatment. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. Even during the normal firing cycle the movement of the slide of cushioned somewhat by the slide returning and stripping a round from the magazine.

As previously stated, it only takes a relatively small movement of the slide to reset the weapon for dry firing.

I do believe that GT'ers are a tight bunch when it comes to Glocks, but I have always found the folks over there useful as well as entertaining. Sometimes when you don't get what you consider as a "timely" response to your question, try using the search feature. Many times the same question will be asked and answered continually. Needless to say this can even make the most seasoned posters a bit weary.

I applaud you for wanting to know more about your weapon. Any question is a valid question if someone doesn't know the answer, especially concerning use of a weapon. I also believe you should give GT another try and approach it from a new perspective and with a new attitude. Never burn a bridge you may have to cross again some day.

Good Shooting
RED

KP95DAO
October 17, 2001, 01:38 AM
Like everyone else 1/4 to 1/2" to reset. And don't drop the slide on empty gun more than you need to.

Every once in a while I'll run by GlockTalk to see what I am missing. Let me see now, I am missing Jeeps, Slamfire, and everyone else in that clique. No, I am not missing much.

Getting banned from GT was kinda helpful.

James K
October 17, 2001, 10:17 AM
Gee, guys, if you are concerned about being a bit rough on a gun when handling it, for heaven's sake don't ever fire it! That is really hard on a gun, and we all know guns are made from spun sugar and cake frosting and can't take even the slightest stress or strain.

(Damage to the sear when the hammer drops on it when the slide is released? What do you think happens in firing, or do you believe little green men let the hammer down easy?)

Jim

Handy
October 17, 2001, 11:55 AM
Jim,

On the 1911, when you fire it you're holding back the trigger which prevents the problem. Those owning tuned 1911's will avoid the problem by holding down the trigger when they release the slide. A match 1911 is made from spun sugar and crystal and priced accordingly.

dawg23
October 17, 2001, 05:39 PM
sundance43.5:

Dude - does this mean that you are refusing to post on Glock talk anymore ??

If so, you are in violation of FCC regulation 56(L)318.22(a3) which clearly specifies the procedure that you must follow when when electing to permanently discontinue the utilization of a user name on an internet forum.

Normally I would never report someone to any agency of the Federal government. However, I am offended by your extremely negative, inflamatory comments about Glock Talk, and have decided that if you have not complied with the above-referenced regulation by 0600 hr. on 22 October, 2001 I will personally report you to the FCC. As you will find in Appendix "C" of subsection (a3), the maximum fine is $500 per day, plus administrative costs (Of course your legal bills may well exceed the fine).

Dawg23

leedesert
October 18, 2001, 06:28 AM
LOL:D