PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPKS: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Nifer
October 16, 2001, 12:51 AM
I have read a few threads where people were beating down the Walther severly. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago at the local gun shop when they had a big sale. I would really like honest feed back on the qaulity of these firearms. I am in a serious state of confusion right now as to trade it off at the huge gun show this weekend before I get a chance to shoot it, or just roll the dice and hope I got a good one.
I would like to hear from people who have experience with these guns. If you didn't like it, why was it a problem? I'm really not looking for "my friend says they suck" type stories. I am really looking for some information here to make my decision.

JR

vanfunk
October 16, 2001, 05:24 AM
I had a stainless PPK manufactured in the USA circa 1994. Its visual appeal was totally eclipsed by its inability to feed more than 5 rounds in a row without a failure. :( . It was accurate, had a great single action trigger and a passable double action, but it just didn't work. Overall, reports indicate far higher reliability with the German-made pistols, althogh you will certainly find those who swear by their American counterparts. Unfortunately, there's no way to know whether your particular piece will work or not without firing it. I'd say go ahead and fire it; if it works, it's a nice gun. If it doesn't, get rid of it. Walthers (USA and German) seem to hold their value well, comparatively.
vanfunk

Raider
October 16, 2001, 07:28 AM
I have a Walther PPK/S in 22LR cal made under license from Walther in Manhurin, France (its rollmarked with the Walther logo and all but down on the butt in tiny letters its marked made in France).

Now, what di I think about it.... I love it. Fit and finish is equal with the German guns and I've fired probably more than 2000 rounds through it with no jams. Its amazingly accurate too for its size.

Sorry I can't address experience with the 32 and 380 cals or with the US made guns but I'd think that if you're getting either a Manhurin made or German made Walther, you will be extremely pleased with it.

BTW if you're looking for a carry gun, why don't you look at the stainless Kahr in 40 cal. They're really nice.

Raider

Nifer
October 16, 2001, 09:06 AM
Raider,

I have looked at Khar's, they are nice. I already have a Sig P239 .40 at this point, and I will stick with it for now.

I don't have my Walther in front of me, but it is duo-tone and was on sale for $390. So i guess it is American made. I have also heard bad things about these firearms for people with larger hands. That is frustrating to hear as well, because I am a fairly huge individual. I will probably keep the gun and shoot it. If it has terrible problems, I will use the warrenty. I do plan on buying a Makarov or PA-63 at the local gun show this weekend., if I can find a good deal on one.

JR

HS2000
October 16, 2001, 09:39 AM
Nifer:

Vanfunk's post sums up my .380 PPK/S experience exactly. I too had the American version and couldn't get it to reliably feed (big understatement) hollow points --- even after a trip back to the factory and two to the gunsmith. A real shame, since it was an elegantly crafted firearm.

On the other hand, my Makarovs have only had three failures to feed in almost 20,000 rounds --- and all three were with an aftermarket mag in a hi-cap Russian Mak. I dumped the mag for a factory version and the pistol never choked again. If you're looking for a pistol that's roughly the same size and caliber as a PPK/S, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Makarov (regardless of price). There are prettier pistols, but there's not a small-caliber pocket pistol out there that is more reliable.

Take care. Marko

Lionheart
October 16, 2001, 10:14 AM
Fred Rexer's "USA: The Urban Survival Arsenal" has a section on the PPK/S, if you can find a copy floating around.

don't shoot it's me
October 16, 2001, 10:15 AM
Even my 1966 geman made was a jam-o-matic....

October 16, 2001, 11:03 AM
I played around with an American PPK/S for awhile. I don't remember it being unreliable, but it sliced the crap out of the web of my right hand every time I shot it. The slide would have to have blood cleaned off it every time I shot it. I currently own a PP in .32 ACP and it is wonderful. Very accurate and the small increase in size made a big difference in comfort.
The bottom line was already stated. Forget about what other people think. Don't buy guns to keep up with the Jone's. Don't worry about whether or not your gun was on the magazine covers this month. Take it out and shoot it. Give it a good workout. Try to put 500 rounds through it so that you have a decent sample size and also have given it a ligitimate break-in. Remember firgures lie and liars figure. You could never fire the gun and say it has never jammed once. You could fire the gun once and get a jam and say it jammed every single time you ever fired it. There are good and bad examples of every gun ever made. Find out what you have before you talk about getting rid of it. You liked it enough to buy it in the first place, give it a chance.

FScott
October 16, 2001, 11:04 AM
I'll agree with HS2000 and Vanfunk. My experience with the PPK was not positive regarding feeding even FMJ rounds. Tried factory and reloads to no avail. This is out of the box, no trip to the gunsmith at this point, merely languishing in the safe.

It is, however, an elegant firearm from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Oleg Volk
October 16, 2001, 12:07 PM
Unreliable in 32 and painful to shoot in 380. I'd pick something else, given a choice.

sigmund
October 16, 2001, 12:33 PM
I have not fired my PPK/S very much, maybe 500 rounds, a hundred of those JHP. Not a single jam of any kind. I have large hands, and did get nipped on my hand a few times until I figured out how to hold it. Just got Farrar grips (actually a single sleeve that replaces the original grips) that makes the gun fit my hand much better, and I automatically grip the gun so that it doesn't bite my hand.

MR. TIBBS
October 16, 2001, 12:57 PM
My wife uses the stainless American PPK in .380 as her carry gun.
She trust no other, it has never malfunctioned in six years of constant use. I have suffered Walther bite after about 50 rounds fired but the wife has never been bothered by this and it is easy to fix. If yours is as good as hers you will have a firearm to treasure for the rest of your life and pass on to your heirs. I would give it a good try you will regret it if you don't. Good Luck.

Pappy John
October 16, 2001, 01:04 PM
Gee, I love my American PPK/S. Apparently I got the only one they made that doesn't jam with hollow points. I did polish the feed ramp before I put any rounds through it after buying it used (actually AB-used by the previous owner...took hours to clean it up to my satisfaction), but all my slide guns get that treatment before they're fired. It does give a light hammer strike for some reason every hundred rounds or so and I haven't yet decided if thats often enough to warrent a trip to the 'smith yet. Most accurate pocket gun I've ever shot.....real actual groups at 25 yds instead of a peppered backer board. Great SA trigger.

Bottom Gun
October 16, 2001, 02:46 PM
I had an American made stainless PPK for about 8 years or so. It was a very well made accurate pistol. It never malfunctioned with any kind of ammo and fed every hollow point I ever stuck into it. It was a fine pistol.
A few years ago, I started carrying a S&W 640 instead of the Walther because I wanted a more powerful cartridge and I sold the Walther. I regret getting rid of the PPK now. Wish I’d kept it.
Like all Walthers though, it did drag the bottom edge of the slide over the web of my hand when I fired it. My TPH does the same thing, but I’ll never part with it.

James K
October 16, 2001, 03:30 PM
My stainless, American made PPK/S jammed consistently. I rolled the recoil spring on a belt sander and no more problems. That may not be the only problem, but it solved my troubles.

Jim

Curley
October 16, 2001, 05:32 PM
I owned an American-made PPK/S briefly last year. It was a beautiful pistol, but just flat did not work.

As others here have mentioned, it would not fire five rounds in a row without a jam. Also, the decocker would stick with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked, the rear sight came loose the first time I fired it, and it had frequent failures to fire.

I couldn't even get 100 rounds through it. Rather than deal with the hassle of sending it back to the factory several times, I sold it.

I now have a Bersa Thunder 380, which is a PPK clone, except that it's 100% reliable and cost less than half what the PPK did.

harbinger
October 16, 2001, 05:51 PM
Don't let this forum put your brain on overload, Nifer. I know how it is to fall in love with a gun one day, and then after doing a search on the forum, you find out how everybody hates that particular model, and you start looking for another. PPK/S fans on on side, Makarov fans on the other. Throw in a bunch of raves for the FEG, and HEAVENS TO MURGATROID, WHAT DO I DO???!!!!!!!! You bought the Walther for a reason. Shoot it. Ya don't like it, trade it in later for something else. You won't know until you try it out. You did say you got a good deal.
Now that I've said that, it's time to confuse you some more. :D My Dad had the American PPK in .380 and it was very reliable for him. Not very accurate, but it went bang when he pulled the trigger. He later sold it and got a TPH. Thousands of rounds through it without a hitch. Search the forum, and you'll hear how much of a jam-o-matic the TPH is. Every gun is different. I recently picked up a PPK/S .380 in mint condition, put out by Manurhin, licensed by Walther. Paperwork said it was assembled in 1960. Absolutely beautiful gun. MUCH better craftsmanship than the American version, IMO. 200 rounds without a hitch.
Shoot the gun, Nifer. You know you want to. Listen to the dark side. If it shoots like sh**, then you can join the PPK bashing, Makarov side, and post your own opinions. ;)

9mmepiphany
October 16, 2001, 06:06 PM
had a german ppk (not /s) in .380 that worked everytime but it left with an ex-wife

had a american ppk/s .380 (ppk slide over pp frame) that might get through two mags without a jam.

still have a german pp in .22lr that has never had a bobble (really) with the infamous rimmed round.

the only downside common to pp/ppk family is the horrendous trigger pull and the razor sharp bottom of the slide.

Cactus
October 16, 2001, 07:54 PM
I have a American PPK/S that works just great. My wife used to carry it and shoot it alot with Cor-bon ammo and it fed just fine. After about 1000 rounds of the hot stuff it needed the recoil spring replaced and it has worked fine since.

I trust this little pistol completely. Try it, you may like it!

Herr Walther
October 16, 2001, 08:09 PM
German or French Walther: Good.

American Walther: Generally bad, but not always.

None are ugly.

Herr Walther
October 16, 2001, 08:45 PM
The Good

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/HerrWalther/ppk.jpg

harbinger
October 16, 2001, 08:57 PM
Now you're talkin', Herr Walther. Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous.

Herr Walther
October 16, 2001, 09:00 PM
Also the Good

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/HerrWalther/ppsuper.jpg

That's NOT a scratch on the slide. Must be junk on my flat-bed.

HS2000
October 16, 2001, 09:04 PM
Actually, Harbinger makes a good point. You already own the pistol, so go ahead and shoot it. You might be fortunate and have a reliable PPK/S. It's not as though keeping it unfired will gain you all that much should you decide to sell it.

As for your getting either a Makarov or a PA-63, if you're only going to get one (speaking from personal experience), get the Mak. The 63 is a neat pistol, but its alloy frame lends itself to noticeably increased recoil. And like the Walther, the 63 is known to bite the hand that feeds it. Also, the 63 is not as durable as the Mak and parts are significantly harder to come by.

On the other hand, PA-63s are so inexpensive right now, that it really is feasible for most folks to afford both the 63 and the Makarov. I liked my 63 well enough, but if I could only choose one of the two it would be the Mak, hands down.

Take care. Marko

HS2000
October 16, 2001, 09:12 PM
Herr Walther:

Nice pics, especially the bottom one. I can't tell from the pic, but is it chambered for 9x18 Police Super? I had a chance at a very nice one for $175 a while back, but I passed (not knowing what it was). Neat pistol. Looks like a scaled down P-5.

Take care. Marko

Herr Walther
October 16, 2001, 09:19 PM
It is a Walther PP Super. Chambered in 9mm Police. (9x18).

This one was a former Baden Wurtemburg Polizei Pistole.
Stamps are on the other side on the frame.

7th Fleet
October 16, 2001, 09:37 PM
West German Walther PPK's are excellent, the American made clones are a crap shoot. I had a stainless steel Walther PPKs made by Ranger Arms in Gadsden Alabama for Interarms and it was a POS. I sold it and bought a blued West German PPKS and there is a world of difference in the two guns.

7th

flusher
October 17, 2001, 05:52 PM
I have a German made PPK/S (1974) It is by far the best feeding and handling of any pocket pistol I have ever owned.