PDA

View Full Version : Is the .260 Rem considered an accurate cartridge??

rugerfreak
October 15, 2001, 08:07 PM
After spending last Saturday at the range---I dumped my .270 and put a stainless Model 7 in .260 on lay-a-way. The .270's accuracy was respectable enough----it's just that I've been spoiled by my other rifles that will put em in one hole or touching if I do my part. I also have plenty of other rifles for deer hunting---so getting rid of the .270 this time of year isn't really a big deal.

With all that being said:

Since I haven't gone through and actually bought this rifle---am I making a mistake getting a Model 7 and/or a .260??

I didn't want a .243 and the 7-08 wasn't exactly a good experience when I had one years ago (only 2 factory loads available at the time----I think things are better now)-----the .308 was what I was really looking for---but .308's are scarce around here for some reason. So I settled on the .260.

Is the .260 considered an "accurate" caliber? and has it caught on--or is it a dying cartridge??

Thanks for all your help.

JohnKSa
October 15, 2001, 09:57 PM
I don't know how well it's caught on, but it is extremely accurate.

One of the most popular high-power match calibers in Europe is the 6.5x55 Swede. Probably one of the best time-proven high-power match calibers in the States is the .308.

So, take a .308 case and neck it down to 6.5mm (.264') and you have a .260 Rem. It's the best of both worlds.

I know a guy who's had two--a Ruger and a Browning. Both were tackdrivers.

IMO, it will be around for a long time. 6.5x55 has been popular for years, and the .260 is pretty similar in performance--but in a short action.

PJR
October 16, 2001, 04:37 AM
In theory this should be an accurate round. I say "in theory" because I don't know anyone who owns one. There is a lot to recommend this cartridge on paper and it has intrigued me as well.

IMHO, inherent cartridge accuracy is pretty low on the list of factors contributing to accuracy and only becomes a factor in rarefied competition. Load development, case preparation and the quality of the rifle are more important factors.

Whether this cartridges catches on is another issue. In a world were bigger and better sells rifles as witnessed by the explosion of short magnums and when there are two more established cartridges a half millimeter on either side of the .260, it's a crapshoot at best. But if you reload what difference does it make how successful the cartridge is?

There are no flies on the Model 7. I've owned a couple of them, a blued and a stainless. I liked the blue gun better but that's strictly a personal preference.

Poodleshooter
October 16, 2001, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't expect a lot of great 5-10rd groups with the Mdl 7, but expect good consistent first shots. The light barrel makes it a great carrying rifle for hunting, but as a benchrester, it tends to string a bit. The .260 should be a great cartridge, similar to the venerable 6.5x55. Probably more of a reloaders cartridge, as I doubt you'll find it on the shelves at WalMart.
(BTW, my experience is with a SS Mdl 7 in 7mm-08)

Bruegger
October 17, 2001, 03:53 PM
I don't own a 260 Rem, but I have a Swede, which is chambered in the the granddaddy cartridge from which the 260 Rem descended (6.5x55 Swede). Some day I'll get a rifle in 260 Rem, too. The primary difference is the .260 goes into a short action and probably has a shorter leade than the 6.5x55 (so the OAL must be shorter).

You should have no problem working up good accuracy and hunting loads with the .260. Sierra makes some great 6.5 bullets, both Match King (up to 155 gr) and Game king (up to 160 gr) that should be plenty accruate out of a decent barrel. Make sure the barrel twist is at least 1 in 8 if you want to stabilize the big boys. Actually, the 155 gr Mk may require a 1 in 7.5 twist - that's what the military Swedes have. The .270, on the other hand, doesn't have the selection of match-quality bullets that the 6.5 has.

I think with your Model 7, you'll be hunting as opposed to entering high power competitions; the 260 should be ideal in this role.

The very high BC of the 6.5 bullets for their weight gives them good wind-bucking ability and makes them flat-shooting. The high SD of the bullets makes them more effective on game than their nominal diameter suggests. The 160 grain BTSPT will clobber anything in North America.

Don't worry about the cartridge dying out if you reload. You can always neck down from a .308 or up from a .243. If you neck down from 308, you may have to turn the necks if you have a tight chamber.

On the other hand, if you don't reload and never will, then you'll have to take your chances that the cartridge won't catch on and will get dropped for poor sales...

Hemicuda
October 17, 2001, 04:02 PM
My dad has a Model 7 in stainless and in .260... it is a flippin TACK DRIVER... I'm a model 70 Winchester man... and it was good enough that I ordered one myself this last monday...

that thing is 1/4 MOA at 100 yds... he has taken 3 Elk with it in Colorado too... (he's an excellent shot)