PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about IWB holsters

Hotboy
October 11, 2001, 03:37 PM
I don't plan to carry right now because the current odds of me getting a CCW is slim to none.....and Slim just left Kalifornia...:D

However.....if I were to run up against some situation where I felt it was necessary to break the law and carry, I would want to be prepared with a proper holster.

I've seen many of you talk about IWB. I know what it stands for, but does it mean that the holster sits inside your pants next to your underwear? If so, does that mean that you have to buy pants with stretch waists or extra large waists? (I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs.)

For my first handgun, I am leaning toward purchasing a .357 with 4-inch barrel. Can this kind of handgun be carried IWB? Who makes good IWB holsters for a Ruger GP-100?

Thanks for the info....

Monkeyleg
October 11, 2001, 04:06 PM
Yes, Hotboy, the bulk of the holster goes between pants and shorts. The IWB holsters have one or two loops that the belt goes through, and then the butt end and hammer end of the gun are exposed above the belt line. You should have no problem finding a holster for your gun, but you will have to buy pants that are one or two sizes larger in the waist (unless you're used to holding your breath for a long time).

There's lots of good manufacturers, and everyone here seems to have a favorite. Milt Sparks, Galco, Mitch Rosen are just a few.

Good luck.

Inspector Callahan
October 11, 2001, 04:10 PM
I've never advocated breaking the law, and I'm not about to start now. However, there may be times/places that you ARE authorized to carry concealed - even in Kalifornika. Your personally owned business, for example. Anyhoo, when it comes to IWB holsters - Milt Sparks (http://www.miltsparks.com/) wrote the book. Check the Versa Max II out.

Callahan

garrettwc
October 11, 2001, 04:16 PM
Yes it sits between pant and underwear. For best comfort you should go one size larger on the waistband. Especially with a thicker pistol like the GP100. In a typical IWB rig the cylinder will be right about belt level.

My personal favorite for holsters is Alessi, but several of the leather shops will make you a good one. I think a couple of the Kydex makers do as well and the thinner kydex will help things out a bit.

One comment on violating your states CCW. Make sure it is worth it. The old judged by 12 vs. carried by 6. Depending on your states laws getting caught could keep you from buying in the future (convicted felon) not to mention the legal nightmare if you had to use it.

I really feel for shooters in Kali. I have turned down a couple of better paying transfers to my company's corporate office in No. Cali for because of the laws. The extra $$ wasn't worth the loss of constitutional freedoms.

I live in a pro gun state that has allowed CCW since Lincoln was in diapers and I guess I'll grow old here.

don't shoot it's me
October 11, 2001, 06:56 PM
If you're not carrying everyday, don't waste your money on the higher end makers....great stuff but priced at 70-150 bucks. I carry a P7 everyday in a delfatti IWB. Cost me 80 bucks but very few makers know how to do it right for this gun with it's short slide and heavy butt. Yours is a little more generic and easier to find. Check out don hume or even an unle mike's 15 dollar jobbie if you are only taking it out on blue moons.....also, look for one with a clip on it, not belt loops...since W/O a permit, you may find yourself wanting to get it off your person as soon as possible, like when I pull you over....;) if all is in order with your vehicle and license, you won't be searched anyway....something to think about....

LIProgun
October 12, 2001, 08:51 AM
Between the pants and underwear?

Am I the only one left who tucks his shirt into his pants? :D

vluc
October 12, 2001, 08:54 AM
IWB can be quite comfortable depending on teh holster. if leather, look at HighNoon holsters (www.highnoonholsters.com) and talk with Michael.

For Kydex...check out the Ky-Tac line of holsters carried by SKD Tactical (www.skdtac.com). Joe is a great guy to work with.

Excellent holsters along both lines.

garrettwc
October 12, 2001, 09:16 AM
Between the pants and underwear?

Am I the only one left who tucks his shirt into his pants?

Don't know about Long Island, but in the midwest during summer an untucked polo shirt is about all I can stand. Occasionally, I can get away with one of those photo vests but not often. I can tuck my shirt in during the winter though because the coat will cover my gun.