PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Value: Rock-Ola & Inland

Art Eatman
October 6, 2001, 01:09 PM
Anybody know the real-world value? I've looked them up in the new Fjestad's Blue Book, but there's book $ and real-world $...

The Rock-Ola is all original. Dunno how to grade it--maybe 80%-85%?, other than it surely isn't beat up. Most of the visible wear is on the top of the bolt, toward the rear. The Parkerizing is not particularly worn. No dings, rust or scratches.

The Inland has a civilian (I guess) after-market stock. The main gun is original and in good shape, but the retainer and such is add-on.

Any help is appreciated.

:), Art

dinosaur
October 6, 2001, 02:42 PM
It`s supposed to be pretty rare and it`s in nice shape. His prices are good on just about everything he sells though. Whether this helps or not???

yankytrash
October 6, 2001, 03:07 PM
The Inland, unfortunately, is damned for it's civilian clothing. Ask about $300 and you'll probably get it after awhile (Noting, of course, it's WWII origins). In reality, a quick sell, where you'd still be getting the going rate, would be more like $250-275.

The Rockola should go for a little more. If it's 80%, expect to sell it for $450-500. Be willing to sit on it awhile, M1 Carbine fans love the Rockola for whatever reason.

Those are online prices. If you're going to sell it local instate (like with advertisements in your local paper and toting the guns to gunshows, one at a time), charge about $200 more each. People pay more for see, touch, feel.

$2000+ ?!? Does he know that's the going rate for preban HK's? Hell, I think I could buy Patton's issued M1 for that price. Maybe he's right though, I don't know. I don't have a book and I am not an M1 Carbine guru.

Good Luck.

Art Eatman
October 6, 2001, 03:38 PM
Thanx. I've a buddy who's lusting for a "shooter', so the Inland will do him just fine. I'll throw in some mags and ammo and keep it fair.

Art

johnwill
October 6, 2001, 05:51 PM
FWIW, you should be able to equal or exceed prices you find in the Blue Book, they're normally lower than I see at gunshows or on-line.

The best deals I get are at local gunshops lately, I've found a really cool place that gets quite a few collectable pistols. I've bought six guns there in the last two weeks! My credit card is smokin!!! :)

Marko Kloos
October 6, 2001, 07:13 PM
I paid $500 for my Rock-Ola with homeboy discount from a nice local dealer a few gun shows ago. He had it on his table for $595, and he tends to keep his prices fair.

BTW, Rock-Olas are mostly Rock-Ola marked barrels on receivers made by other companies. Mine's a Rock-Ola barrel on a Quality Hardware receiver, which seems to be the most common combination for the Rock-Olas. Rock-Ola made barrels and small parts, and assembled their carbines with receivers which were made by other manufacturers.

Kernel
October 6, 2001, 07:13 PM
Carbine prices are definitely in an inflationary phase. If you haven’t check the market in the last couple of months I think you’d be surprised. Seems every week they go up $20.

Gunshow prices on Carbines have nearly doubled in the last two years in the upper Midwest. As long as it’s got a USGI receiver asking price on rough condition, mixmaster, import stamped, replacement stocked Carbines is $500 plus. Carbines anywhere close to matching are around $750. Well worn and rusted 30 round GI clips are typically $15-$20. New in the wrapper 15rd mags $7-$12. Butt stock magazine pouches in good condition $30. Don’t know of dealers are getting it but that’s what their asking.

Rockolas are popular for two reasons. 1) Rockola had the lowest production of all the Carbine manufacturers, and 2) GIs liked them best because of the nostalgia associated with Rockola jukeboxes. I can't agree with what lendringser said about Rockola not making their own receiver. I've skimmed a number of books on Carbines and have never seen that in print.

Haven‘t seen a IMI commercial Carbine since sometime last Fall. With the metal handguard they were priced around $475 then. -- Kernel

bernie
October 6, 2001, 09:41 PM
Just to let you guys that might not know, Rockola did produce receivers. As I am pulling this from memory, they were the second smallest producer. But I have had a Rockola, and I like it primaril for the reason listed of nostalgia tied to the juke boxes. Thanks for listening.

Art Eatman
October 7, 2001, 01:21 AM
Good info; good to know. "'Preshumate it."

Nighty-bye,

Art

JNewell
October 7, 2001, 04:59 AM
I agree with Kernel -- I went to the biggest gunshow in the state yesterday and the prices have gone way up in a year. As someone said, though, prices are somewhat local.

johnwill
October 7, 2001, 09:42 AM
I have also actually seen a Rockola receiver on a carbine, so I know they made them. I have a DCM gun that's an Inland with an IBM barrel, and it's a very accurate shooter. I think I may actually believe that the IBM barrels were some of the best. :) I also have an all Winchester carbine. I still can't understand why they fetch a premium, they're quite common...

Fatelvis
October 7, 2001, 09:54 AM
I may be interested in either of your carbines. Could you send me a pic of both of them, and I`ll get right back to ya?

johnwill
October 7, 2001, 04:47 PM
Fatelvis,

I think you misunderstood my post, I'm not selling my guns, just talking about them! :)

Kernel
October 7, 2001, 11:31 PM
M-1 CARBINE PRODUCTION NUMBERS

(The name on the receiver is in all caps)

Rock-Ola Music Corporation (ROCK-OLA)..........228,500
Standard Products (STANDARD PRODUCTS)..........247,160
International Business Machines (IBM)..........346,500
Quality Hardware (QUALITY HARDWARE)............359,666
National Postal Meter (NATIONAL POSTER METER)..413,017
Saginaw (SAGINAW DIVISION,GENERAL MOTORS)S.G...293,592
Saginaw (Grand Rapids) S'G'....................223,620
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher (UNDERWOOD)............545,616
Winchester (WINCHESTER)........................818,059
Inland (INLAND DIVISION, GENERAL MOTORS......2,642,097