PDA

View Full Version : new handi-rifle

VTR996
October 4, 2001, 11:09 AM
I just bought a N.E.A. handi rifle in .223 and am wondering what I've done wrong. I put a simmons 3-9x40 scope on it and bore sighted w/a simmons boresighter. The rings I used were the weaver brand but I had to use the ones that are about 1"tall so the hammer would clear the end of the scope,well this put the scope so tall that I had to kinda guess w/the crosshairs and thought it would be good enough to get it on paper. Well it shot about 8" high @100 yds. so I tried to adjust accordingly,it shot all over the paper no matter how many clicks which way I turned it. It would put 2 side by side only high and to the right so I'd adjust in 1" increments and it never would come to the bullseye. We were shooting rested from bench,is it me,the gun,scope,rings,or ammo,tried 2 kinds wolf and winchester both have same results w/55gr.bullet 1 in 12 twist barrell. I read an article in G&A about the little rifle and it shot 1/2" groups w/winchester and federal supreme so I can't hardly blame the gun. Any suggestions on what to try? Could the scope be loosing zero or am expecting too much?

Edward429451
October 4, 2001, 11:27 AM
You're expecting too much from the gun. My friend had a NEF in .308 and had the same results. Their shotguns are OK but the rifles seem to leave one wanting.

Sorry dude, buy a better rifle. Something name brand.

Big88foot
October 4, 2001, 02:45 PM
You're right, as Guns & Ammo reported, and I personally learned, the .223 handi-rifle is easily capable of sub-one minute results. You must be doing something wrong with your set-up.

Go to the handi-rifle discussion group and pose your question; those guys should be able to give you some tips.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nef-singleshot

Good luck

nedfig
October 4, 2001, 03:39 PM
Yeah, mine sucks too. I hate it when it keeps shooting .5" groups at the range and the guy with the $1000 Remchester is getting the same size groups. I would check the scope and make sure that the scope rail is screwed down tight. Loc-Tite the screws on the scope rail. You also have to put the front sand bags under the receiver just in front of the trigger guard.

scouter27
October 4, 2001, 03:57 PM
Once I get my ultra rifle fouled in, so to speak, I can almost cover 3 shots with the .223 brass. For some reason the first several shots from a clan barrel shoot about 6" high :( I plan on fixing it next summer, when I might have more time.

Brian Williams
October 4, 2001, 08:04 PM
I have a NEF in .243 that is a tack driver. check all of your screws and grind off some of the hammer for lower rings.

weagle
October 4, 2001, 08:23 PM
As nedfig said, in order to get really tight groups you must be very careful with the handi rifle not to put uneven pressure on the barrel when you are shooting it. If your gun is shooting bigger than 2" groups there is probably something wrong with the scope. Check the rings and bases carefully. Let someone else shoot it to make sure it is not your shooting style. I.ve owned three different Nef handi rifles and none were tack drivers but all of them would shoot at least into 1&1/2 inches at 100 yds with inexpensive Bushnell scopes . Good luck, weagle

Edward429451
October 4, 2001, 11:16 PM
Anybody here had experience with NEF's 45/70?

plateshooter
October 5, 2001, 06:04 AM
Sure sounds like a scope problem to me. Have you tried a different scope? Also try resting the rifle on the action rather than the forearm when you test it. That made a difference on several 2 pc stocked rifles that I owned over the years.

Tom Matiska
October 5, 2001, 07:18 AM
This isn't by any chance a twist problem? Any evidence of keyholing? Your H&R a 1-12" twist, which is slow by .233 standards. If the 55's you tried were boat tails you may be pushing the limit of your twist. Try flat bases or boat tails in the 40's and see if your results improve.

Tom

nedfig
October 5, 2001, 09:53 AM
That's one thing I didn't think about. Bullet weight WILL make a difference. 1 in 12 twist needs 55-60ish and under to stabilize.

I haven't fired the NEF 45/70, but I have NEVER heard a bad thing about he NEF in 45/70. Though I have heard that the light weight rifle will kick you pretty hard in that caliber.

scouter27
October 5, 2001, 10:01 AM
I doubt it is the twist. I have shot 55 gr V-Max with out problem, and I think they are BT.

Fred
October 5, 2001, 11:00 AM
as mine will handle 55 grainers (boat tail and flat) just fine. Look elsewhere, like what was already suggested about scope and mounting, etc.

VTR996
October 5, 2001, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try a couple different things this weekend.I've changed the scope,and will try a 40gr hornady v-max although it don't show any sign of keyholeing.I had it rested on the forearm so that might help also if I move back a little toward the trigger guard.

Long Path
October 5, 2001, 09:51 PM
Try a different scope. My Simmons went bad on my Sendero, and nothing would fix it. (shame, as it had been giving lovely small groups before.) Also look into remounting your scope rings and mount, as wide as you can get them with the scope you have. If this doesn't work, send it back to NEA-- their Handi-Rifles are known for showing accuracy far exceeding value of the money put into it. While I do not own one, I've never met an owner of one who was not beaming about them. I suggest that those who say otherwise may well be ill-informed.

-L.P.

Art Eatman
October 5, 2001, 11:31 PM
The satisfaction rate for sub-MOA with the Handi-Rifle must be running in the high-90% range. That's here at TFL, over at Varminter.com, and all the gunzines. The only thing I've read about them as to being "picky" is the location of the front sandbag when shooting for groups.

Let us know how you make out with the new scope.

Best luck,

Art

aerod1
October 6, 2001, 10:43 PM
Edward,
I own and have shot my NEF Hadi-Rifle chambered in 45/70. I have an old K-6 Weaver scope on it and it shoots great. All I have ever shot through it is the 300 grain Remington brand.
I also have 2 more NEF rifles, one a .243 and the other a .223 Ultra Varmit. I think NEF makes a great product.
I deer hunt with the .243 regularly.
Jim Hall

Edward429451
October 6, 2001, 11:53 PM
How far can you make hits with the 45/70?

I've been kinda tossing it around getting one since I still cant afford a Ruger#1S.

Does it come with iron sights or scope mount?

rlgarman
October 7, 2001, 12:48 AM
I bet its the scope, I have had good luck with inexpensive scopes, but once in awhile you'll get one that won't shoot to the same spot regardless of what you do. I have a 4x16x50 BSA that I got for $75 and it works great and never needs adjusted and I keep it in a unheated garage for the last 2 years down to -15 and up to 110 degrees and it will shoot .5 in. at 50 yds on my 10/22. How do you spell dependable? I also have a 3x9 Tasco that shoots good for 2 months then goes south(or north or east orwest) for no reason.

scouter27
October 7, 2001, 11:44 AM
Edward, In the catalog I got yesterday the 45-70 comes with iron sights and is tapped for a scope mount.

grimel
October 7, 2001, 08:13 PM
BEFORE fooling with a new scope, take the scope out of the mounts and remount the mount. Bed the thing, weld it to the barrel, loc-tite the screws, torque them down and re-torque them. They (NEF's) are insanely hard to get a good permanent non-moving mount. Then mount the scope. I would give you the URL of a man with a step by step guid to mounting the scope mount and free floating the barrel, but he has switched ISP's and hasn't yet reposted his pages (at last word he was making everything easier to follow).

I hope you the best, my 243 NEF won't shoot better than 0.75" at 100yds with 100gr Winchester factory ammo. Someday I might have time to work up an accurate load.

VTR996
October 9, 2001, 02:45 PM
Well, I don't know if I figured it out but the thing shoots straight now. I tried a combination of things so I don't know which "one" thing it was but I changed scopes,slid the rest back to the trigger guard and WHALAAHH,,it took about 10 rounds but it is about 1" to 1-1/2" grouping now in the bullseye, or close to it, no fault of the gun.....Now I'm reloading for it and that opens a whole nuther door.....Thanks for the ideas and help.......

nedfig
October 9, 2001, 02:54 PM
Glad to hear it worked out. Now you'll find yourself collecting them :)

biganimal
October 9, 2001, 07:19 PM
vtr
buy a hammer spur so you can lower the scope in med ht rings. I have 6 nef's in varios calibers and all will shoot moa or better. all have bsa contender scopes mounted in medium rings.