PDA

View Full Version : C&R rifle advice needed

BigTim
October 2, 2001, 09:13 PM
I've been thinking about getting a rifle for deer hunting and 200 yard target shooting for some time and after watching "Enemy at the Gates" the other night, I've developed an interest in getting an old military rifle. After a little research, I'm thinking about an M96 6.5 Swede. I've downloaded a copy of the C&R license application and would like to buy online. Any thoughts of this gun or others? Where is a good source for buying online?

dwesson445
October 3, 2001, 07:08 AM
I don't know much about this, but my understanding is that the BATF was taking about 6 months to approve applications, and that was before 9-11.

JKeith
October 3, 2001, 07:21 AM
Get your C&R license...it only costs $30 for a 3 year license and you can get some great deals on rifles and handguns. Nice to have them delivered to your door. Check Aim Surplus (www.aimsurplus.com). Others include SOG (Southern Ohio Gun Works), Century Arms, etc.

You might want to consider a Yugo M48 Mauser. Great bolt action, 8mm round (lots of ammo around), and you can get new, rearsenaled ones for around $150. Great shooters.

You may want to check out www.cruffler.com for more info on applications, etc.

The downside of getting the C&R is the "gotta buy another one" syndrome.:)

maxinquaye
October 3, 2001, 10:53 AM
I was gonna get a C&R - then I read the fine print. Realize that by getting one, you are allowing your home to be searched by the BATF at any time. They don't even need probable cause. Not worth it to me...

Zeebrahed
October 3, 2001, 03:04 PM
I have never read or heard about a single time that the BATF performed a search on a Curios and Relics collector. And the inspections, that never happen, can take place at the address on your license or at the local BATF office. Your choice. And yup, they notify you ahead of time. I guess reading the fine print means different things to different folk.

El Rojo
October 3, 2001, 03:38 PM
I am not even worried about the BATF raiding my home. If they really wanted to check me out they would easily get a warrant. I know their priorities do not lie on a meager C&R holder.

My license came in a mere 1-2 months. I think it was right in the middle actually. My friend applied for his over the summer and had it at the end of the summer. It really doesn't take long. My CCW permit took much longer (7 months).

I bought a Yugo M48 and a Swedish M96 from http://www.ellisonsmilitaryrifles.com . They are really competitively priced and as Curt will say on his website, he will take care of you! My rifles are great! I even put a bold trigger on my M96 and oh is it ever sweet. I mean that trigger is really light and crisp.

I understand Brownells also offers dealer pricing to C&R holders. I just sent my C&R to them and am waiting to see what kind of pricing I get. I know regular Brownells pricing is outrageous so I am curious to see what I get on discount. I will let you know.

JKeith
October 4, 2001, 07:21 AM
Yes, Brownell's gives discounts to ffl holders, even C&R ffl holders, simply send them your ffl and they will keep it on file. After you send it, register on their web site. When you look up products, it will tell you the regular price and your price as an ffl. In addition, the catalog is free to ffl holders.

cwalker3
October 5, 2001, 05:44 AM
My C & R came in about 3 months. Sent in the app in Sept and got it the week before Christmas. Heckuva Christmas present! And it does get habit forming, having rifles delivered right to your door, that is. Regarding the BATF, they do have the right to conduct an inspection, but as has benn said already, it's your choice whether it's at your home or their offices.

I bought my M48 Swede from http://www.samcoglobal.com They're a little pricey, but at least my rifle was more than than I could have hoped for. Be warned though, that unless you reload, 6.5 ammo is expensive.

I've also purchased C & R weapons from http://www.aimsurplus.com and http://www.empirearms.com I have no complaints about either one.

craigz
October 5, 2001, 08:17 AM
Brownells, Midway, and Grafs all offer dealer pricing to C&L holders. This has been the number one benefit of the license for me.