PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight M1A?

JasonReed
September 26, 2001, 06:38 PM
I posted this to the Art of the Rifle and didn't get a lot of response (maybe because there isn't much to say).

If one had the money and inclination, what modifications could be done to the M1A/M14, or more likely M1A Scout, to make it a lighter rifle? I've been thinking of getting one because it's a beautiful rifle, great caliber, accurate as anything, but it's awful heavy. Even the Scout weighs over 9 lbs.

Has anyone ever tried this? Some things I can think of:
- Synthetic stock, maybe even skeletonize it.
- Lighter contour barrel. Maybe even fluted? Remove the flash hider I guess.
- How about drilling lightening holes in the operating rod? I dunno about stresses, might just break it. I'm just thinking out loud.
- Could metal be taken off the receiver?

I sort of assume that if anything substantial could be done someone would aready be doing it so this may be a dumb question. Figured I'd ask anyway.

I mean, imagine how cool it would be if you could get the M1A Scout down to 7-7.5 lbs scoped...is it just me or would that be the greatest thing going? Carry it with a 5rd mag, a couple high caps in the pack. Man, that would be the best!

George Stringer
September 27, 2001, 07:12 AM
Jason, I think about all you could do would be to skeletonize the stock. If you start changing the weight of parts like the op rod you might change the timing. George