PDA

View Full Version : Sistema reliability concern.

CSAY
September 15, 2001, 06:37 PM
I got my Sistema 45 this week. It came from CDNN through a dealer I use. Upon seeing it, I was a little disappointed. The finish was not as good as I expected. Also, the magazine that came with it was useless. So, I grab the magazines from my Springfield and take it out to see how well it shoots. It did fine with the 1st magazine,except for the hammer bite. After the 1st round from the 2nd magazine,the firing pin stop came out causing a jam. I boxed it up and took it to my dealer. They are being good enough to fix it for me. What I'm wondering is, are these Sistemas inherently unreliable? Are they prone to things like this happening? Should I ditch it and stick with my Springfield?

Walt Sherrill
September 15, 2001, 07:26 PM
No, they are no inherently unreliable.

I've talked with and exchanged messages with many people who have bought and shot them, and your message is maybe the third were someone has had a real problem. (Most of the problems I've read about have to do with magazines -- the ones that come with the gun are POS -- but that's easily fixed by buying some of the cheap Governtmetn Issue mags.)

You've got a fundamentally solid, basic gun. You can return it to CDNN and get another -- probably your best bet -- or get it fixed locally (quicker.)

Jim V
September 15, 2001, 07:54 PM
The firing pin stop is inexpensive and easy to replace. Replace the FP spring, it may be just plain "tired" after 50 some years of use.

Apeach
September 15, 2001, 08:08 PM
The word that I hear on these Sistemas are that they're great guns and they're cheap too. They're great since they're built to Colt specs. and on actual Colt machinery, but they're cheap since they're not actually Colt. So, like Jim V. said, the part may need replacing, but otherwise these are high quality guns. But keep in mind, this is just the word that I hear.

CSAY
September 15, 2001, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys. I have heard good things about these but, when this happened,my 1st reaction was,oh s---! I thought maybe I had wasted my money. I'm not a smith so,I wasn't sure how big of a deal this was. I really like the no frills 1911. If this turns out to be the only trouble with this one,then I may get another one. Gotta do something about that hammer bite though!

James K
September 15, 2001, 11:37 PM
Hi, guys,

The firing pin stop can pop out on far newer and more costly guns than the Sistema. I would agree with replacing the firing pin spring and maybe the firing pin stop itself. The stop can even be peened to tighten it up if you want.

It would take too long to explain how the stop can come out, but it all starts with Mr. Newton.

The hammer bite can be corrected by replacing the hammer with a short spur one, but keep the original.

Jim

KPS
September 16, 2001, 07:51 AM
Depending on what condition Systema you got.From the sounds of it you must have purchased the condition 2 or 3.The Systema I bought through Cruffler looked like a brand new gun.Aside from hammer bite, it performs flawlessly.I did order a Wilson mag conversion kit for the stock magazine though.I've put a little over 400 rds through it and it runs great.

For great info on the Systema go to: http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/home.htm

old_yout
September 16, 2001, 02:06 PM
I purchased a Sistema a while ago and had a wonderful 600 some odd round run without a glitch until the barrel had a bit of a problem. Now I'm having a Wilson barrel put in (or, at least, the barrel should have been put in some time ago, but is probably sitting on a desk somewhere, forgotten. ) and I eagerly anticipate its return.
I never doubted the weapon when I had it and even carried it as my CCW until the barrel broke. I try to remind myself that the barrel was probably around 50 years old, so it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise. Once I get it back, I suspect I shall have quite a weapon indeed.

CSAY
September 16, 2001, 05:34 PM
I'm hoping mine turns out to be a winner. It shoots great. I guess it just needs a "tune up".

TonyPoulos
September 18, 2001, 06:17 AM
How does hammer bite occur with the beavertail protecting the hand?

Tony

Brian Busch
September 18, 2001, 06:32 AM
Higher grip on a military 1911 (no beavertail grip safety) will cause hammer bite. If you want to keep the gun stock and fix the bite problem, a Kings drop-in extended grip safety is a good choice.

Look at the difference between these two grip safeties:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/natmatchhardball.GIF
Standard military grip safety.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/stdmatch.gif
Beavertail grip safety for high hold.

KPS
September 18, 2001, 04:24 PM
Just put in a Wilson drop-in beavertail on mine last night along with a Nowlin trigger job and flat mainspring housing.She looks great and don't bite no more.