PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 30-06

zauer
September 12, 2001, 08:51 PM
Hello,

I saw a Savage 110 30-06 brand new at my local shop for $345. This price includes a Simmons scope.

I have a few questions.

First, is that a good price?

Second, this will be my first rifle and I'm wondering if the recoil of the 30-06 is manageable as I have a small frame.

Next, is Simmons a quality scope?

Thank you for your help everyone...again, this is my first rifle purchase.

PATH
September 12, 2001, 09:23 PM
All depends on what you think of as manageable. The Savage is a meat and potatos gun. Take the package. I think you'll be surprised with just how accurate it is! Tain't as fancy as some others but it will serve you well.

Art Eatman
September 12, 2001, 10:20 PM
When I got my first '06, I could stand sideways, stick out my tongue, and imitate a zipper. About 5'-10" and around 120 pounds. Lordy! Back at age 16, I had to spin around three times just to throw a shadow!

The steel butt plate on that "sorta sporterized" Enfield liked to beat my shoulder to death!

So, the next step was a Bishop stock and a Pachmyr buttpad. End of problem.

After buying that fairly good-deal gun, modify the stock as necessary to get the proper length of pull. Make sure that as the cheekpiece moves rearward in recoil, it slides AWAY from your cheek and not into it. Sandpaper as necessary.

Also, back in the May or June (or maybe July?) issue of Guns & Ammo, there was a short article on a new kind of buttpad. Some new type of material which is better than that commonly used by Pachmyr, et al. You might hunt that up and try it.

FWIW, I have a Simmons 44Mag 3X10, 3.5X10, whatever, on my pet '06, since 1997. Works just fine. No problems with jeep trails in a 4X4 PU, or from the recoil of some 200 or so rounds...

Art

JAMES L.SMITH
September 12, 2001, 10:35 PM
I bought one for my son when he got out of the Marine Corps/DEPT.U.S.NAVY,he loves it.I'v got a Mod.11-.223 like it to,good guns for the money.

ToddW
September 13, 2001, 01:03 PM
My brother just bought the same setup. $345 is a good price. He paid just under $400 (but we're in Calif. where just about everything is more expensive). I don't think they put real high quality scopes on these packages (not at that price). Simmons makes some decent scopes, but my brother's Simmons is definitely not top of the line. If you have a similar Simmons (3x9), it should get you started though. The trigger has a little creep, but that's to be expected on a moderately priced rifle sold today. Good luck!

Hemicuda
September 13, 2001, 01:08 PM
I own a 110, in '06...

FINE gun... good lock time... REASONABLE recoil for an '06...

you can hardly go wrong with this gun...

the scope is likelyof "moderate" quality... built sturdy...

you won't get the "light gathering" of a good high-end scope, for early or late day shooting... so you'll lose 5 mins of hynt time a day... big deal...

I have a Simmons 44-mag scope on mine...

at that price, I'd buy it, if I were you...

johnAK
September 13, 2001, 01:31 PM
dang, I just paid 399$ for savage 10FP .308 not even with 5$ scope and it was ON SALE,
if I saw that price here, I would have bought it right away,
:confused:

Point Blank
September 13, 2001, 03:43 PM
Wal Mart has the Savage "Package Deals" in various calibers for $362. I have the 110 Savage (package deal) that i bought used for $299. Mine will shoot around 1" groups. I seen that Rem. has came out with a package deal also, its a model 710 with 3x9x40 Bushnell on top for a few dollars cheaper than the Savage. Dont let anyone fool ya though....the 30-06 does carry a nice little recoil :p . If you are concerned try to find someone who will let you shoot a box or so. For strickly range work i would consider a .243 or .270 as they are more pleasant to shoot.

Cain R
September 13, 2001, 09:58 PM
Bought a combo about three years ago, the scope, a cheap Bushnell got replaced by a good B&L 3x9, bedded with good handloads shoots 3/4" all day. My cheapest rifle but one of my favorite shooters.

JAMES L.SMITH
September 14, 2001, 12:50 AM
The gun I bought for my son(prev post) came with hard case,sling,mounted scope and trigger lock.Bought it new for $26+tax,was not HOT.