PDA

View Full Version : recoil spring replacement

E.T.
August 29, 2001, 05:44 AM
While attending a practical shooting training lately, the instructor told us that one should replace the recoil spring of his semiauto at regular intervals. This should avoid damage to the frame (receiver) as a result of a weakening recoil spring. Although he was generally speaking (I have a Walther P99, my fellow shooters had a GLOCK 19, SIG P226 and a Tanfoglio) I wonder if his statement is correct and if so, after how many rounds should I consider recoil spring replacement ? I found nothing on this topic in the Walther P99 manual or at the Walther web site. Also I believe that in the US Walthers are sometimes sold with two recoil springs (?). I bought mine here in Belgium and it's an original German made Walther P99 Military (9 x 19 mm) which has all the necessary proof marks. Thanks for your comments.

Pampers
August 29, 2001, 07:33 AM
should be a part of your maintainance schedule. Especially if you are shooting regular competations. If you're like most people, and your pistol just sets in the safe, forget it!

When to change? Get a replacement spring (About $8 from Wolff.) and lay it beside your old spring when you clean it. On a full size 1911, I'd replace it when it's about 1" shorter than the new spring. On lesser guns, I'd tend toward replacement when the original spring is about 1/2" shorter.

Yes, and old, flacid recoil spring can contribute to malfunctions and will allow the slide to batter the frame. Why beat your gun to death to save $8?

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

P99
August 29, 2001, 08:27 AM
E.T.

The reason some U.S. Walther P99's (especially 9mm ones) come with two springs is that the P99 was made to shoot "hot" NATO ammo. Some U.S. made ammo, especially the lighter bullet weight, is packed with much powder, so the P99's were experiencing malfunctions. So the extra spring is actually a reduced force spring, so these lesser powered rounds can be fired reliably. Also, the majority of P99's in the U.S. are all German made. There were 3000 or so .40 auto P99's that had a slide and barrel made by S&W. None in 9mm. We also have the bastardised SW99 from S&W. Which is inferior to the P99 IMHO.

As to your original question. I would change your spring maybe once a year if you shoot a lot. I think they're only an $8 part here in the U.S. If your not a frequent shooter, then change it out based on how much you shoot. You may never need to change it. I've been shooting IDPA for 3 years now and haven't changed any of mine out yet. I may be looking into a recoil reducer spring from Sprinco. I've heard some good thing about these.

P99

taco
August 29, 2001, 01:29 PM
I change the recoil spring on all my centerfire pistols every 3,000-4,000 rounds. For rimfire pistols I change them every 5,000-8,000 rounds. These numbers are not based on any scientific data but just wild ass guess. Springs are cheap... slides and frames are not.

blades67
August 29, 2001, 04:19 PM
I change the recoil springs around every 3,000 rounds. It is just a preventative measure rather than an exact science. Well, for me it is.