PDA

View Full Version : My fifty is coming - soon

August 23, 2001, 08:06 AM
Just got word from Mike at Anzioironworks that they have finished the initial assembly of my .50cal SS rifle. They are waiting to get a window from Walt Birdsong(Black-T finish). He said when it's altogeather he will email me some pictures. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post them here. OOORAH!!!

Tropical Z
August 23, 2001, 01:45 PM
Your'e a danger to society! I hope Senator Feinstein knows where you live!:D

Kaylee
August 23, 2001, 05:59 PM
gee, and here I was hoping he knew where Senator Feinstein lived. small world. :D

-K

ckurts
August 24, 2001, 05:59 PM
You know, nobody likes another person who brags about their toys....you lucky guy!

HankL
August 24, 2001, 07:03 PM
How is Walter doing? He was once my back door neighbor but I moved North of Jackson and he moved South. You will love the Black T finish.

Target Shooter
August 24, 2001, 11:02 PM
You'll love the big 50!
I've had my ArmaLite AR-50 since October of 2000. I only have a few hundred rounds through it but with reloaded ammo accuracy is in the sub-moa at 550 yards.

TS

Edward429451
August 25, 2001, 12:09 AM
Hey Target Shooter, you reload for your 50 on a Rockchucker by chance? Hows it holding up? Any problems at all?

August 25, 2001, 05:57 AM
TropicalZ/Kaylee - When yoiu work for the government you know here Everybody is... and they know where you are, too.

HankL - Walt is a real hoot to talk to. The last time I talked to him was about three or four months ago. We talked about F-16 undercarriage and other things. He has done two pistols for me and the finish is everything I could want. I'm going to get it done to everything I plan to keep as soon as I can afford to do it, one at a time.

Target Shooter - I'm looking to invest in a reloader. Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Target Shooter
August 25, 2001, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure if the Rockchucker press is big enough. I've read stories from web pages that someone has used the Rockchucker but I've also heard the threading was different? Not sure never tried it but I do have a Rockchucker.

I bought the RCBS AmmoMaster Reloading kit for the .50 BMG.
It has everything you need to get started and is a BIG sturdy press specifically designed for the 50.

There are a few places that carry the RCBS and Hornady press so as long as you get the price you're comfortable with you did good.
I bought mine from Natchez Shooter Supplies back in February when they were offering 50 BMG shooters a special price if you hung out at the biggerhammer board.
Price was $325.00 for the kit.
Kit includes: Press, F.L sizing die, Seating die, trim die, and primer seater, I think it even comes with some lube.
Either way it's a good entry-level kit that loads accurate ammunition.
I purchased a Hornady Neck Sizing die to get better accuracy.
My best groups to date are 3 consecutive 5 shot groups at 550 yards measuring. 5 1/2", 5 1/8" and 4 7/8".

It's a fun hobby / sport and the people that shoot the 50's are more than willing to share information and help out.
We have a monthly shoot / match where I live and usually 7 to 9 shooters show up each month. You get to see different 50's and shoot everybody else’s rifle. Always a good time.

TS

August 28, 2001, 03:17 AM
TargetShooter - Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the kit from Weiner's(sp) for a little while now. It's was $325 last time I checked my catalog and included the press and dies. I'll check to be certain which press it is, and also check out Natchez at the same time. Best source for primers? I ordered some from "Dan" in Indiana for $14.00/ 100. Sorry for the sometimes delay in replys. I travel all over the Middle-East and sometimes have trouble accessing a computer.

Target Shooter
August 28, 2001, 08:43 PM
$325.00 is a good price for the RCBS AmmoMaster Reloading Kit, along with $14.00 per 100 on the primers. (CCI-35) If you can avoid shipping and hazmat on the primers that $14.00 price tag would be a great price!
We normally go in as a club and purchase a large quantity to get the price down. I recently purchased 1,800 Hornady A-MAX bullets on a group purchase for us 50 shooters at our club.
It's fun but expensive also.

TS

VonFatman
August 28, 2001, 09:40 PM
Congrats! Geesh I want one so bad I can't stand it.
Have fun...and don't forget to post photos!
Bob

Gino
August 29, 2001, 08:50 AM
Why would anyone NEED a rifle like that? <big grin>

Yanus
August 29, 2001, 09:23 AM
Gino,
To take out that pesky neighborhood cat that keeps howling at night,.........from 1,500 yrds! LOL!

August 29, 2001, 11:55 AM
Naw - As the pseudo-psychologists would say it's to compensate for my undersized male organ or some such hooey-flop... Actually it's to make big holes in beer cans at ridiculous distances and to keep the KW and PB trucks from herding up into my yard.

Bogie
August 30, 2001, 03:00 PM
Just curious - what sort of accuracy do you get, using reasonable components, at "point blank" ranges of 100 and 200 yards?