PDA

View Full Version : Kahr Elite trigger upgrade?

jmstr
August 14, 2001, 03:57 PM
Hello,

I have a Kahr K9 and I decided to replace the standard trigger with the Elite version, as I had heard such good things about the improvement of the trigger action. When I got the 'trigger kit' from Kahr it came with the trigger, spring, washer and pin. I had been told to replace the washer as they are plastic and crack often. I finally took the time to replace the parts this weekend, tested it, and it felt GREAT! The trigger broke just where it felt it should, instead of a 1/4 inch farther on the stroke. However, I have a couple questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me.

When I popped the pin out and swapped the parts, I actually only swapped the trigger. I reused the pin, the original spring and the washer that came stock. Is there any reason NOT to do this from a safety perspective?

Just so you know, I did this for a couple reasons. I am about to send my pistol in to be refinished and I'll send the new pin with it. I don't know if they pop it out or not. However, I reused the washer because the new one was plastic [and hence, liable to cracking] but the original one felt like metal. It sounded like metal also. I figured a metal washer would 'wear' less than a plastic one.

On the spring, I did notice that the original one was two 'windings', while the new one was three. I don't know if that makes the new one stiffer or not. What I did notice was that I couldn't get the new spring to stay in the proper location when the trigger was reinstalled. I took both springs out and compared them side-to-side. At that point I realized the old spring was just a little longer on both ends. When I put the old one in, it worked like a charm. In fact, I would rate the trigger pull as being somewhere between the DA and SA stiffness of my Ruger GP100. It isn't "extremely light", or even very light. It is just crisp and smooth. Is there any reason I should get a new spring from Kahr and replace it for the one I just re-used?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give me.

jason s.

Dfariswheel
August 14, 2001, 08:35 PM
You might want to get back to Kahr about the differences in springs and bushings.
I kept breaking springs in mine and kahr sent me the wrong spring a couple of times. My gun won't accept the 3 coil spring. with the metal bushing.
They changed to a thinner, plastic bushing and the 3 coil spring since I got mine, and I'm not sure which spring is proper for you're gun.
By switching back to the 2 coil spring you might get the metal bushing to work, but I don't know if that's Ok with kahr.

Check with Kahr, better safe than sorry.