PDA

View Full Version : Savage Safari Rifle 458 Win Mag

GI Joe
August 11, 2001, 07:58 PM
At this point, my collection of firearms fills most needs (and wants) that I can possibly envision. The only thing left is a good elephant gun. Something that would kill any living creature on the planet with power to spare. The gun that catches my eye is the Savage Safari 116 SE in 458 Win Mag. The big attraction to me is the adjustable muzzle break which should reduce recoil significantly and the heavy recoil pad. So, has anyone fired this particular gun in this particular caliber and what do you think of it? Being of slight build, I always worry about firing big bore long guns. For a point of reference, the most powerful rifles I have shot are Marlin Guide Guns in 45-70 and 450 Marlin. I consider the recoil to be noticeable but not unbearable or agonizing. How would the 458 Win Mag in the Savage compare? Or is there another at least .40 caliber rifle that might be a better choice?

suckersrus
October 14, 2005, 06:51 PM
Did it take long enough to get get an answer?

I owned a Savage exactly like the one you described. I had a low power Leupold on it and it shot great. The muzzle break really worked on recoil but it still was a kicker. A guy I worked with wanted it so bad he offered me several hundred dollars more than I paid so I sold it to him.

Even living in Alaska I couldn't justify hanging on to it. (I hunt everything with a 338 mag).

I recently bought a 458 mag barrel for my Encore so I will get to shoot up my ammo. I will then download to hot 45-70.

By the way, a hot load in my Marlin 45-70 hurts more because the lever-action is not designed as well as the 116 for heavy recoil.

I firmly believe a much better cartridge is the 416 Remington mag. Just as much power but less recoil. That is what I would have liked to had on my Encore but...

BUSTER51
October 14, 2005, 07:03 PM
I looked at them too and decided to get a CZ in .458 lott and have been very happy with it .

dgludwig
October 17, 2005, 12:08 AM
I have the 116SE but in .338 cal. so I can't be much help on your .458 question, except to say that the adjustable muzzle brake works as advertised. I like to sight-in with the brake "on" and hunt with it "off" (I don't notice recoil so much when I'm shooting at elk:) ). The point of impact on my rifle does not change when I change the brake setting.

One last observation: I have not found the "express" sights to be very useful...hope I never need them!