PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable M-1 Garand

Starsfan
August 3, 2001, 11:25 PM
Need some help guys. I bought my Garand a month ago, and am still having several stoppages while shooting it.

I've switched op rods, bullet guides, and followers with a friends rifle, but the problem still persist. I replaced the op rod spring with a new one, but that didn't help either.

When I go to the range, I can fire maybe one full clip with no malfunctions. The rest of the time, a round will strip from the clip, and jam halfway into the chamber. Funny thing is, it's ALWAYS the rounds being stripped from the LEFT side of the clip! Any ideas? I've tried all that I know to try, and I sure could use some help! Please!

Thanks,

*starsfan*

clem
August 4, 2001, 12:18 PM
Try this, field strip the rifle and clean ALL metal parts with "Break Free". Wipe the metal parts down. As you are re-assembling the rifle, where ever you see "wear marks" (metal to metal) apply a thin coat of weapon grease (lubber plate). Make sure that any part that touches the ammunition is FREE of any and all lub/oil. Make sure the chamber and bore are dry. Make sure the gas port hole (in the barrel) is clean and dry.
Also, what kind of ammo are you using?
Clem

Starsfan
August 4, 2001, 01:21 PM
First off, thanks for the reply Clem.

I have cleaned and lubed the rifle very good before three trips to the range. I grease all worn areas with Tetra gun grease. I just found the Tetra at a show, and decided to use it since Fulton Armory recommends it so highly. Would something work better in your opinion?

I've been shooting surplus Lake City ammo. Mostly 1952 and 1962 production. My friends Garand eats this stuff up! I thought my trouble might be the bullet guide, but my rifle still malfunctioned after switching with the one from my friends rifle. Both our rifles are Springfield Armory. His is a WWII rifle, mine is Korean War era.

It looks to me like the side of the case is dragging on the follower's rail that is milled in the side of the receiver. It just strikes me as odd that every single malfunction comes from the rounds on the left side of the clip. Have you ever seen or heard of an M-1 doing this? Or, is my rifle just an odd ball??

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it. I love this piece of history, and I just want it to function reliably like it's famous for.

Safe shootin' to ya'.

*starsfan*

Rottweiler
August 4, 2001, 03:26 PM
I've never heard of a garand doing this but it sounds like there's a burr or rough spot on the left inner side of the receiver probably just in front of the clip. Look there to see if there's any brass "rubs" or shavings

Starsfan
August 4, 2001, 03:38 PM
Rottweiler,

I looked for burrs or rough spots around that area, but found nothing. You can't even feel any when rubbing your finger over the area. The inside of my receiver looks almost new, as compared to my buddies, so we thought that maybe my rifle just has tighter tolerances. Maybe the problem will work itself out with a lot more shooting. :)

Someone suggested that I take a wet stone and go over that area to file down the metal a few thousandths. I don't want to do that and end up ruining the receiver as I'm not a gunsmith. I just hate that every time it malfunctions, I waste a good round because the case gets bent too bad to shoot safely!

Thanks for the tip though. Got any other ideas? I've even thought that my op rod might be bent out of spec, and it's just enough to hender it's forward movement.

*starsfan*

Rottweiler
August 4, 2001, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't take a stone to in unless you can see where the brass is dragging or can feel a rough spot. Another thought, Have you tried a different clip. Yeah I know it may sound dumb but I've overlooked the obvious myself a few times too

Starsfan
August 4, 2001, 04:39 PM
Actually, there is nothing dumb about that idea! I've thought about it, but didn't give the idea much merit, since all of the clips look new. But, since you mention it, there have been four of five occasions when the rifle would empty a full clip! I never thought about reloading that SAME clip, and giving it another try to see if it would function flawlessly again.

Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's amazing how you can overlook the little things, while looking at the bigger picture.

Thanks again for the help.

*starsfan*

James K
August 4, 2001, 09:59 PM
Hi, Starsfan,

You say "Garand" but you don't say where you got it. If it is one of the rifles built from a parts kit on a Century Arms receiver, anything could be wrong, as those guns have a very poor reputation across the board. The guns from which the parts were taken were often hard used and worn, plus there was no effort to keep parts together. The receivers themselves are often out of spec and there are reports of headspace and other problems in assembly.

If you have a CMP M1 or a U.S. GI rifle that has not been messed with (cut and weld for example), then things can't be too bad and should be correctable.

Jim

Starsfan
August 4, 2001, 10:15 PM
Hey Jim,

I did mention a couple of posts ago that I have a USGI Garand built by Springfield Armory.

It's a Korean War era rifle, serial number 4,255,xxx. ALL of the parts are SA, and all serial numbers match a manufactured date of 1953. The right side of the receiver has been etched with a rebuild date of 4/66.

I did some research on the M-1 rifle before considering buying one. I bought mine from a dealer at a gun show in Dallas, Texas for $600. I could have gone the CMP route, but decided that I wanted to see what I was buying, instead of receiving "pot luck" from the CMP. Well, from what I here, at least the CMP rifles are reliable! :( No way was I going to buy one of those crappy Century Garands!

Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing the malfunctions in my rifle?

*starsfan*

clem
August 5, 2001, 12:42 AM
Starsfan,
Well, your ammo sounds okay. I like the suggestion to re-use the clips that have worked once. It's been a long time for me messing with an M1, but the problem could be as simple as it being new (re-built) & tight. When it does fire, how is the ejection of the brass? Consistant distance & location?
Anyway, keep us posted.
Clem

Starsfan
August 5, 2001, 09:27 AM
Clem,

The brass is ejected to the right, and behind me a few feet. All of the cases land in the same area.

I can't go to the range this weekend, but I'll try the clip idea next week, and see if that works.

Thanks for all of the help! I hope to be able to return the favor some day.

Safe shootin' to ya'!