PDA

View Full Version : Herters U-9 .223

ATeaM
July 29, 2001, 06:28 AM
Herters U-9 .223

Can anyone give me the history of this gun ? I found one for auction at www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...ItemNum=1602925 . All I can tell so far is that it is "vintage" and made in England. What would you think of this as a first "real" rifle ? Looks pretty snazzy to me. Can't tell how she runs though :(.

http://www.buckhornestates.com/hctp/hu9.jpg

ATeaM
July 29, 2001, 07:13 PM
btt

Q-Man
July 29, 2001, 07:27 PM
I know absolutely nothing about this firearm. The most I can do for you is:

BTT. :)

DougB
July 29, 2001, 08:28 PM
I don't know about this specific rifle, but Herters was a large mail order company that sold all types of hunting, fishing, camping, and other outdoor equipment. I used to order a lot from them when I was a teenager back in the 1970s (mostly fishing and fly-tying stuff). My dad ordered a single-action .22 revolver from them back in the 60's that I still have. I think he paid $26 or so for it. It is german made and works okay (though it isn't a single-six). I suspect Herters rifles were made by some other company for them. I wouldn't expect them to be especially high-end, although they may be good rifles. I remember that the catalog (much of which was written by George Leonard Hearter I believe) layed it on pretty thick - often discribing ordinary K-mart quality products as "unique, field tested under the roughest conditions by Alaskan guides," etc. That said, the rifle may very well have been made by a famous maker and be of good quality. Good luck.

Doug

RugerNo3
July 29, 2001, 08:31 PM
BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) was the manufacturer. Quality in its day, but suffered from marketing guidelines. It was equal to any Rem or Win factory rifle and maybe slightly better. A good first rifle for sure today. Price may be a good subject for debate. I'd buy it if bore and function was OK. Get a three day approval agreement and shoot it. Your call.

C.R.Sam
July 30, 2001, 01:00 AM
From Ruhr American catalog #69, transition, all Herters between the covers.

"The Future's Rifle Here Today. The famous Herter Mark U9 bolt actions are made in England by her finest old double rifle gunsmiths. No actions are made of more expensive steel, finished better, or as well designed. Entire action is made of weapon steel identical to that used in double rifles that sell for $2,000 and up. All parts are precisely fitted and lapped. The design of the action, like a Rolls Royce car, is far ahead, surpassing by a tremendous margin any rifle actions made today. "

Three grades, several varients. Some available with Douglas barrels. New then from 94.00 to 138.00.

I cant open the auction site to see if any more info for matching it to a grade description in my catalog.

I would hope the seller takes better care of his guns than his Graco airless rig.

Sam

ATeaM
July 30, 2001, 01:55 AM
Thanks for all the information. Neat looking rifle but with the information provided I think I'll pass at that price. So Herter's was more or less the Cabellas of its day ? Too bad, I was hoping it might of been some fancy schmancy rifle that had fallen through the cracks.

By the way, the auction is #1602925 at www.auctionarms.com

DougB
July 30, 2001, 01:39 PM
Per C.R. Sam's post:

"The Future's Rifle Here Today. The famous Herter Mark U9 bolt actions are made in England by her finest old double rifle gunsmiths. No actions are made of more expensive steel, finished better, or as well designed. Entire action is made of weapon steel identical to that used in double rifles that sell for $2,000 and up. All parts are precisely fitted and lapped. The design of the action, like a Rolls Royce car, is far ahead, surpassing by a tremendous margin any rifle actions made today. "

See what I mean about the Herter's catalogs laying it on thick? This is typical of what I remember. They sold some good stuff at good prices, but the catalog descriptions were over the top. As a kid I was taken in a time or two by them (once ordered a "Fish Caller" that ws supposed to be fantastic - and turned out to be a tin can with a bell mounted inside). I do, however, wish I'd kept one of their old catalogs for the entertainment value.

Doug

yorec
July 30, 2001, 02:58 PM
Yeah, Herters was kind of a cross between today's Cabela's and The Sportsman's Guide, but they did have some neat stuff!

My dad has a Herter's .401 Powermag (a 6 shot single action pistol of .40 cal at about .41 mag levels) that I'll have one day - as soon as he doesn't think he can hunt with a handgun anymore.

And the next time you see some reloading company braggin up the toughness of thier press, know that it could only be second best at best. Herter's press was way, way, tougher. Some folk would call them a boat anchor, but they would sink most boats if you tied a line to them and dropped them over the side! :D

Jay Baker
July 30, 2001, 04:35 PM
My 1972 Herter's catalogue has 653 pages of Herter's goodies, all "the best and finest" in the world.

The Herter's U9 (BSA action) rifle is listed, "Herter's Mark U9 Custom Hunter's Grade Completed Rifle in .223 Rem., at $109.00, plus shipping.

I wish I'd not thrown out my Herter's catalogue, previous to the 1968 (eventual) Gun Confiscation Act passed by the Communistnazis in the District of Criminals. There were even more goodies sold by Herter's then.

I haven't the faintest idea how much stuff I bought from them, and much of it I still use today.

The U9 (BSA) rifle was a good one. I have two friends who still use theirs with no complaints.

FWIW. J.B.

Chad Young
July 30, 2001, 05:03 PM
Dumb question: what does BTT stand for?

C.R.Sam
July 30, 2001, 08:35 PM
Chad....BTT = back to the top. used when a thread is gettin lost without response. Some use BUMP.....same thing.

Check the itty bitty menu at the top of each page for link to web acronyms. Lots of fun sutf n gns²

Sam