PDA

View Full Version : SKS: Chinese or Russian?

JRiggs
July 28, 2001, 03:16 PM
Is one superior to the other? Im concerned about reliablity and ruggedness. Thanks!

Tshoes
July 28, 2001, 04:53 PM
Have )past tense, owned Both............as far as which is the best...I would go with the Ruskie............
It's going to be a much MORE collectible arm in the future, and can legally have the bayo attached,,,,,,,,,
A feature which none of the SKS's can boast.
You can OWN the Chinese bayo, but not install it.
Violation of Sec 922r.
The Ruskies, were ALL brought in under a "Curios & Relics", agreement.....so this DNA to them.
Plus, the workmanship quality is very obvious.
fwiw

ATeaM
July 28, 2001, 07:13 PM
All SKS's are equally rugged and reliable, regardless of country.

PDshooter
July 28, 2001, 07:54 PM
I agree! if you can. Buy both. I do:) Some day there going to get real hard to find, for the right $$$. Just wait to see what the price will be , when the "Dem" control the House&Sen,:(

zouave
July 28, 2001, 08:22 PM
I have owned a Chinese and a Romanian SKS, I liked them both.
I sold the Chinese one recently (pre-ban) for more than twice what I paid for it (and after about 2000 rounds of pure pleasure).

You can still pick up a Romanian fairly cheap, and they also have a legally installed bayonet.

Zouave

7th Fleet
July 28, 2001, 08:57 PM
The Russian would be the hands down choice and I own four SKS rifles, three of which are Chinese with bayonets and one Russian.

You most certainly can own Chinese SKS rifles with bayonets, if they are preban guns. Mine date back to the 80s and came with bayonets installed when I bought them.

7th

Tshoes
July 28, 2001, 10:38 PM
Sorry, but if I were you I would call atf, AND GET AN UPDATE ON THAT........Last word heard...was even though the Chinese SKS's were originally ALLOWED into the U.S., with the bayo's..they were in fact NOT legal.
This came from the ATF.
I may be wrong, but for your sake,...............double check.....
As I understand it, there are NO LEGAL PRE BAN SKS CHINESE, with an allowed bayo.
fwiw:)

4V50 Gary
July 29, 2001, 06:23 AM
Go Russian. The metallurgy is superior on the Russian model. Both George & I had found some Chinese ones had the gas tube peened by the piston such that the gun was not easily reassembled. Don't think this will happen on the Russian one.

JohnB
August 1, 2001, 11:44 PM
I don't know much about SKS's but when you guys say it can't have a Bayonet if it's Chinese, is that for the fixed mag, detachable mag or both?

KilgorII
August 2, 2001, 12:00 AM
JohnB,

Both.

Kilgor

JohnB
August 2, 2001, 10:37 PM
When you say "both", when I go to the gun show or show and see many examples of Chinese SKS, all with bayonets, some blade, some cruciform, what am I looking at? Dozens of illegal weapons!

KilgorII
August 2, 2001, 10:45 PM
That's exactly what you're looking at. Remember hearing about how Clinton wasn't enforcing current gun laws, there you go. Personally, it's a dumb law. But, that's the law these days. :barf: If you do have a bayonette on a Chinese SKS, you are simply relying on either officer descretion or officer ignorance of this law. Either one might bite you in the ass one day.

Kilgor

swatman
August 3, 2001, 04:16 PM
I have owned both I once had a chinese version (eventually sold it for a profit) and now own a russian model 1954.
Both are very reliable but as far as looks and quality finish, the Russian wins hands down. and the blade bayonet looks really sweet ;)
I am not sure, but I think for a chinese model to have a spike bayonet, the tip of the blade must be cut off..Every time I see a pre ban Chinese that has one, the tip has been snipped off, I figured they do this to somehow make it "legal":rolleyes:

PerfectGlock
August 3, 2001, 08:56 PM
What is a good price for a Chinese SKS? I have found one that appears to be unfired or restored for around $75. It seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

KilgorII
August 3, 2001, 10:04 PM
If it is as you describe... then that is a GREAT price. Run, don't walk, and get it NOW!

You can learn a lot about the SKS at Survivor's SKS board, here:

http://pub7.ezboard.com/bsurvivorssksboards

Kilgor

ATeaM
August 3, 2001, 10:33 PM
Whether or not it has a bayonet doesn't really matter. You can buy the spike and blade bayonets for a few dollars from TAPCO. But use at your discretion ! (don't poke anybody, you might go to jail).

Tshoes
August 4, 2001, 03:18 PM
Forgot the gentleman's name who said he had some "mid 80's, SKS's", and the bayo's were LEGAL...............
I said, I didn't think ANY were..................
I was wrong.............
Checked with a FFL dealer, and shop owner..........
He said, ''IF the rifle came in PRIOR to '89, then it would be legal".
With this caveat................The ONLY way to tell, is One, you have the recipt when and where purchased, and Two,
by serial #................
So, IF you can prove it with a recipt, you should be ok.
With a serial #, you are still treading on thin ice................as MOST record keeping on WHEN these came in is poor at best................thus, leaving you with "The burden of proof".
My apologies to the person I was abrupt with, no offense intended...............:)

Just trying to keep folks outa' trouble...............

KilgorII
August 4, 2001, 04:56 PM
I believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

Thus, I would reckon that the burden of proof would fall on the prosecution.

Kilgor

Tshoes
August 4, 2001, 05:09 PM
Kilgor, yeah..................in the REAL world.
They have got yer burden.................
And do YOU wanna go there............first?.
Not me, thanks,,,,,,,,,,