PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing bolt-action rifle???

AMHsix
July 24, 2001, 02:49 PM
I'd like to get a bolt-action rifle in .308Win with synthetic stock with scope. I have a budget of about $1000(maybe a couple hundred more).

I'd prefer a blued(not a steel color) 24" barrel with iron sights and if possible would like a removable magazine with more then 4-5 rounds.

I've looked at Remingtons, Savages, Brownings, Winchesters and Rugers so far. What else is there?

Thanks! :)

BigG
July 24, 2001, 03:16 PM
There is CZ, who makes a REALLY nice Mauser, with the long extractor, etc. I don't know if they come in synthetic but I bought one in 375 Mag and it promises to be more accurate than I can hold - 2" at 100 yds with iron sights. The quality is heartwarming to behold and the price is quite reasonable compared to Rem Win Ruger. Blued steel and European walnut with handcheckering. HTH:D

rugerfreak
July 24, 2001, 04:00 PM
Get a Steyr-----CDNN has them for $539 right now. My buddy has 2 and they are some of the most accurate rifles I ever seen--regardless of caliber. Stay away from the Remington garbage(see previous rant).

labgrade
July 24, 2001, 06:43 PM
Personally, I'd stay away from garbage - period. Comes in all shapes & sizes, makes & models.

So, AMHsix (somehow that's hard to type ;) ), what's the plans for this rifle? Makes a difference for any kinda recommendation.

Lightweight "scout-type," standard sporter/plinker, high-end accuracy job .... ? inquiring minds ....

700PSS Shooter
July 24, 2001, 07:34 PM
From your criteria, the Enfield Ishapore 2A (blued .308 w/10 rounds in removable magazine and open sights) with an aftermarket synthetic stock and B-Square scope mount is the winner for under $300. :) Ugly? YES! but meet the criteria...

Look at Tikka. Cheaper Sako. Real nice looking rifles. I agree on Steyr, too. I believe both have 5+ mags available. That is a real limiting requirement in a bolt gun.

Normally, I would have mentioned a used Remington 700 ADL, especially knowing rugerfreak would launch on his oft repeated rant on his Remington PoS's. ;)

700PSS Shooter
July 24, 2001, 07:47 PM
Remington 788. These are accurate in varmint calibers. I do not know about .308. There "USED" to be aftermarket 10 rounders, or an aftermarket that could be fitted, but I have not seen them in many years.

I did read once about a bolt handle coming loose and they are out of production, so replacement is problematic. I have no relationship with the seller. Just thought I'd call your attention to the ad.

AMHsix
July 25, 2001, 07:08 AM
So, AMHsix (somehow that's hard to type ),

I'm used to it and I know NOBODY will have this name ANYWHERE. ;)

...what's the plans for this rifle? Makes a difference for any kinda recommendation.

Lightweight "scout-type," standard sporter/plinker, high-end accuracy job .... ? inquiring minds ....

I'm into military guns, so this will be my "sniper" rifle for the collection. It'll be my M24/M40 but it doesn't have to be a Remington, if there is something better for my price range.

It should be able to work in a war, but it'll just kill paper.

RiverRider
July 25, 2001, 12:03 PM
The Remington 788 recommendation is good advice! I don't have one in .308, but I do have one in .222 Remington and it is definitely a tackdriver. I got MOA groups out of it with the very first batch of trial handloads I cooked up for it. I have seen a few in .308, so I know they are available.

-RR-

DAVID NANCARROW
July 25, 2001, 12:58 PM
If you are interested in a heavy barreled bolt action in 308, take another look at the Remington's, specifically the VS and the PSS. The barrel is 26 inches instead of 24, but unless this measurement is an absolute for you, I doubt you're going to find an off the shelf rifle with more accuracy for the price. I bought a VS a long time ago, and some of my friends have since bought one or the other, as well as a VLS, and every one of these will group 1/2" or better with any half way decent handload, plus a lot of the factory stuff.

AMHsix
July 25, 2001, 04:28 PM
If you are interested in a heavy barreled bolt action in 308, take another look at the Remington's, specifically the VS and the PSS

I like the PSS, but isn't it only sold to LEO now? I've seen them advertised on the internet, but if I go to my gun store will they be able to order one for me?

700PSS Shooter
July 25, 2001, 07:34 PM
This question surfaces often. Remington sells PSS's only to LE distributers or suppliers. They in turn are independent businessmen who can sell to whom they choose. You dealer could get one from Hoplite. Remington (so far, and hopefully not in their plans) has not limited them to letterhead purchases. The current VS and PSS use the SAME barrelled action in .308. In .223, the PSS is 1-9" and the VS is 1-12" twists. Only the stock is different. Very early Police rifles used a wood stock and 24" barrel and some, very, very rare (almost mythical) PSS had the legendary 24" Rock 5R barrels.

I have a .308 which I love. Very accurate. Have had it for 2 years. It will keep 40 rounds in under an hour into under 1 inch. From an ice cold to hot barrel and no point of impact change. I just traded a Remington 700 LTR in .223 for a .223 PSS last weekend. Just waiting on the scope rings from Sinclair.

Do NOT buy the removable mag version! Remington discontinued them in the PSS series due to unreliable feeding.

These heavy barreled rifles (PSS or VS) do NOT come with iron sights. However, older Model 700s (pre-1981) had the receivers tapped on the left side for a good peep sight. 700's pre-1982 also had the bolt lock feature some attribute to being "unsafe." (See other long rant thread on this) An older .308 Varmint could be fitted with the HS Precision PSS stock (which is relieved for a peep as the military specifies iron backups) and presto! a 24" barreled PSS. There are match sight manufacturers who make front sights that clamp on the barrel. On a newer PSS, if using Weaver or Picatinny bases, there are emergency rear peep sights that can mount on that type of base.

Lastly, for the Savage fans, take a look at the Savage 110 or 10FP Tactical. Rough trigger, passable pillar bedded stock, but darn accurate at aroung $400.

FN also is selliing the Winchester Model 70-actioned Tactical. It has a chrome lined bore. Sacrilege to accuracy shooters, but they are supposed to be decent. I, however would get the Remington. The US Military and many benchrest shooters start with Model 700 actions.

Bob Locke
July 26, 2001, 12:21 AM
I've been told by some guys in the know that for the rig you're talking about you'll want to spend about as much for the scope as you do for the rifle itself. That means about $500 or so for each, though you can do pretty well for $300-350 in the glass department.

I own a Savage 10FP in .308 Win., and I have been nothing but happy with it. I didn't go high dollar on anything (rifle, scope, bipod all for about $550), but it'll make three touching holes at 100 yards for me with factory ammo. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot longer than that as of yet, but I suspect I'll be just fine out to three or four hundred yards.

If you're up for spending a grand, then I think you can get yourself a mighty fine and mighty accurate rig.

ArmySon
July 26, 2001, 12:49 AM
Wanna know the differences between a Rem VS vs. PSS

http://www.snipercountry.com/rem-700.htm

http://www.snipercountry.com/700pss.htm

You can't go wrong with either. A good scope will take you a long ways ;)

AMHsix
August 18, 2001, 02:44 PM
Whoops...

Al Thompson
August 18, 2001, 06:45 PM
Just handled the FN precision rifle today, looks great. Chrome lined bore and the CRF action.

AMHsix, if you are into the military lookalikes, the 700PSS is a short actioned M24 w/o the Redfield sights if that's important.

Giz

Swamp Yankee
August 18, 2001, 07:43 PM
Highly recommend a Tikka Whitetail Hunter. If you want the heavy barrel version look for a Whitetail Continental or Sporter. These rifles all come with detachable magazine, adjustable trigger, butter smooth bolt, and a free floating match grade barrel. I paid a little over $420 for my Whitetail Hunter in .308. The Tikka rings were about $40. This still leaves over $500 for some really good optics.
My opinion, Tikka rifles are among the best kept secrets and values when it comes to rifles.
Another option is a Sig STR 970. I have not shot one but did spot for a shooter at the range who was making making lots of little groups with his off the bench. I believe these rifles run about $475.
Take Care

skoonz
August 18, 2001, 09:33 PM
Have you seen the Howa 1500? I know custom builders here who wont use anything else, even sakos.

The 1500 is a copy of an old sako action (I forget which one, maybe TRG) and it will outshoot nearly everything. Barrels are pull-button rifled and the synthetic stock will take all the abuse you can give it and beg for more. The mag is internal but that is infinitely more reliable the a DM. I recommend the stainless version for durability and then go hard out with the camo tape.

I have the 270 SS and although I dont shoot anything I can't eat, a mate who does gets 3/4 MOA all day with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold and Rem 130gr corelokts. God knows what he could do with handloads and a better scope.

scouter27
August 19, 2001, 10:09 AM
The PSS doesn't have adjustable LOP stock, which is the only difference. Thr PSS is no longer the PSS, it is now the 700P, according to the website, but I've heard that it may have changed to 700PSP(precision shooting platform?). 700P should run about $600-700.

You can get a copy of an M40A1-4 or an M24 fom http://texasbrigadearmory.com for about 2x your price limit.