PDA

View Full Version : Armalite and Eagle Arma the same?

Fatelvis
July 18, 2001, 07:17 PM
Why are some rifles marked Eagle Arms, and some Armalite, if they`re the same company? Or are they? Is one inferior in quality to the other? I would appreciate any help, I`m looking to buy one, or the other. The Eagle Arms rifles seem to be less expensive.

AR-10
July 18, 2001, 07:45 PM
It's less expensive for a reason. I'm not sure what that reason is, because I've never seen an example of Eagle Arms.

Armalite is very diplomatic about skirting the issue. They want to sell both. I assume (here we go) Eagle Arms to be of lesser quality, because they are cheaper. I wouldn't buy one, because I am a contractor and I see the difference between brand A and brand B all the time. I want to spend my money on the best and be happy. Not save two hundred bucks and regret it.

Not very informative regarding your question, but I suggest brand A.

Actually, if you are shopping for an AR-15, I recommend a Bushmaster.:)

jrp
July 18, 2001, 09:14 PM
Eagle Arms bought the Armalite name a few years
back. Prior to that, all their products were "Eagle Arms".
I have a match grade AR-15 with a two-stage trigger
and air-gauged Douglas SS heavy match barrel - very sweet
and certainly not a "budget" gun.

Since the name change, it's possible they have come
out with a lower-priced product line using the Eagle
name, but that was not the case in the past.

Willy
July 18, 2001, 10:49 PM
Armalite sells the Eagle arms brand and it is their "lower priced" line. They seem to give a lower price by not offering the lifetime warranty on the Eagle stuff and usually have some different components.

That said, the Eagle Arms stuff is in no way inferior. Take a look at the new Eagle Arms AR10. The fit and finish is first rate. The range reports have been good from the few that I have heard. Armalite doesn't make a cheap product.

For me, arguing Bushmaster over Armalite over Colt is just asking for someones opinion. They are all close in product quality.

Destructo6
July 18, 2001, 11:24 PM
My pre-ban Eagle Arms CAR-15 is about as tight and well put together as you can imagine. The upper and lower receivers have absolutely zero play (no need for one of those Accu-Wedge thingies), and was reportedly hand picked as such.

The Armalites are probably like the Eagles were then, handpicked and matched. Now the Eagles are more assembly line.

swampy
July 20, 2001, 09:57 AM
I put your question to a gunsmith friend (who owns 2 Armalite AR10s) recently. As to the current production rifles, he said the Eagle rifles were the company's way of selling to those that found the Armalites out of reach for whatever reason. The Eagle Arms rifles are not inferior or cheaply done. Some components differ--Armalite offers chrome lined barrels while Eagle Arms doesn't, for example. He said they were the same gun (quality wise). The warranty does differ between Armalite and Eagle Arms.

Icopy
July 20, 2001, 10:32 AM
I bought my Eagle Arms M15 just after the name change. The only difference in warranty is that the Armalite name has a lifetime warranty whereas the Ealge Arms name has a year warranty. And that the Armalite brand does have chrome-line barrels and the Eagle Arms do not. My Eagle Arms shoot very well. A couple of years ago, Armalite did beef up a couple of their components. I'm not sure if they did with the Eagle Arms brand. You can have a Armalite barrel fitted to a Eagle Arms receiver, if you want. I've been thinking of that upgrade somewhere down the line. But right now, my Eagle Arms shoots to well to mess with it.