PDA

View Full Version : The "hot water" thing

Romulus
July 17, 2001, 03:52 AM
I heard that back in the old days, hot water was used to clean the crap from firearms. I have a pistol and a couple of shotguns, all parkerized, and they are quickly accumulating loads of crap, gummed up solvents, even phosphor-bronze particles from scrubbing regimens. Can I run these items under hot water, maybe some dishsoap, scrub them down, then douse in wd40, some fresh CLP or whatever? I just want the crap to go away...

Thanks

Jim V
July 17, 2001, 06:07 AM
Hot, soapy water will not harm yor Parkerized(tm) firearms. Dry well and relube.

BigG
July 17, 2001, 07:31 AM
Hot water was used on guns before noncorrosive priming was developed. The salts deposited by the old primers would attract water from the air and rust holes in the bores even under an oil coat. Also Black Powder residue is extremely filthy and water is prolly the ultimate solvent for that too. Hot because it helps to dry itself by heating up the metal. Go ahead, give your guns a bath. They'll thank you for it. If you can remove the wood, so much the better. HTH:D

Ledbetter
July 17, 2001, 12:55 PM
A very good product to use in conjunction with your hot water is Simple Green, an organic degreaser. Use the hottest water you can so that most of it evaporates quickly off the metal.

Romulus
July 17, 2001, 11:52 PM
Thank you all, and I'll give Simple Green a try as well.

Romulus
July 18, 2001, 12:10 AM
Thank you all, and I'll give Simple Green a try as well.

Paul B.
July 21, 2001, 03:26 PM
:D Romulus. I don't know it hot water will do the trick, but I'll bet Mpro's MP-7 will. (1-800 yes 4mp7) Really good stuff. Clean your guns thoroughly with it in the same manner as you normally would. Then, use a good copper remover like Sweet's 7.62 to remove all copper fouling. Use the MP-7 to remove all the Sweet's and oil the bore well. (MP-7 will remove all oils and solvents. Oiling after MP-7 is a must.) After any shooting session, run a patch soaked with MP-7 through your bore first, then your regular solvent. MP-7 will remove powder residue faster than regular solvents.
No, I don't own any stock in the company. I'm just one hell of a satisfied user.
Paul B.

LIProgun
July 25, 2001, 09:04 AM
For several years I used hot soapy water to clean black powder guns, with great success. I picked up using Simple Green and water for heavy cleaning and degreasing from the American Gunsmithing Institute video series. Works very well; easy on the hands and nose; safe for the sink and sewer.

MPro7 is excellent, IMO. But Simple Green and water is much cheaper. However, I've never compared them side-by-side as nitro powder and carbon fouling solvents.

Romulus
July 25, 2001, 10:12 PM
Thank you all, once again...