PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Disassemble a Springfield ported 1911A1 V-12

IMtheNRA
July 11, 2001, 12:58 AM
Hello, I bought my first 1911-type: a stainless, ported V-12 version and it looks and feels great! Can't wait to get it to the range this weekend! Here is my embarassing problem:

I've been trying to strip it and I'm having trouble with the very first step - unscrewing the guide rod! It seems very tight. I tried a screwdriver, then a penny since it fits the slot perfecty, but the rod won't budge no matter what. Naturally, I scratched up the front of the rod already :( so I'll be ordering a replacement from SA.

How much force should I be using on it? I don't want to bend anything inside. I'm new to 1911s, so any tips would be appreciated.

PreserveFreedom
July 11, 2001, 02:00 AM
I haven't played with a 1911 that has a guide rod yet, but the ones that don't have one have two ways of disassembling. One is from the front and one is from the top. Starting with the barrel bushing or guide rod would be from the front. You should also be able to pull the slide back far enough so a notch lines up with the mag release. Push it through from the other side and remove it. The slide should then pull forward and off. I am not 100% sure if your pistol is like that, but the 1911's I am used to are. Hope that helps.

AR-10
July 11, 2001, 06:25 AM
To remove the spring, barrel, etc., the guide rod must be unsrewed. I'm not 100% sure this is true. I do know that you cannot re-assemble a V-12 or a V-16 by pushing the assembled guide rod and spring in from the back.

Try this. Lock the slide back. Take a pair of pliars and a small piece of leather and, using the leather to protect the guide rod, unscrew it (turn counter-clockwise while looking at exposed end of rod). If anything in the gun is going to break, it will be the threaded shaft that holds the two pieces of the guide rod together. That would be a bummer, but unlikely. I don't know if this is the best method or not, but it is what I would do.

Is this pistol new or used? Makes me wonder if maybe the two halves are joined togther with the help of a little loc-tite.

norielX
July 11, 2001, 08:06 AM
I have a loaded model, and can't remember what kind of rod the V-12 uses, but I know that I hate mine. It always manages to shoot itself loose. I got a two piece rod that uses a hex wrench, but now I'm thinking I should've gotten a one piece or just gone with the standard plug. I've since gone with the standard plug, but haven't been to the range to see the difference. My 70 series shoots just fine, and I figure, if Les Baers don't come with them, then it's probably not that big of a deal. OTOH, my Dad bought a used 80 series Gold Cup, and that recoil spring was pretty kinked. I managed to find a V-12 stainless at the same show my dad picked up the GC, and it was priced the same as the stainless loaded model I had picked up a few weeks earlier!
:mad:
I think I would have preferred that just because I have other 1911's.

Good luck...

IMtheNRA
July 11, 2001, 09:01 AM
It is slightly used and I suspect that loctite was applied to the guide rod - there is no way it was meant to be that tight. I'll use the pliars method tonight, unless someone has a more "elegant" solution. I took the slide off, but there is no way to remove the spring and rod without uscrewing the rod first.

Anyone else want to bounce some ideas off me?

Halffast
July 11, 2001, 10:25 AM
Since you got the slide off, a little judicious use of heat on the guide rod might help. Hope you get it off. I have a V-16 and if you think taking it apart is hard, wait until you try to put it back together!

David

dawg23
July 11, 2001, 10:56 AM
NRA:

1. Place 1911 in vat of boiling water to remove excess oil.

2. Heat with torch until metal parts assume a reddish color.

3. Place in vise and strike sharply 6 times with 10 lb. sledge.

4. Buy a Glock.

Always glad to be of help,
Dawg23

norielX
July 11, 2001, 11:42 AM
I love 1911's, and I've seen the glock vs 1911 battles on here, but this was a sucker punch... I used to want to carry a 1911 for ccw, but if you consider the fact that your gun will probably be kept for evidence and never return to you, I'm considering getting a glock, or an HS2000. I'd miss my 1911's so much that I wouldn't want to risk them getting taken up. I can deal with a Glock give away.

high_caliber
July 11, 2001, 12:08 PM
So that's the magic of Glocks. :D

IMtheNRA
July 11, 2001, 03:39 PM
I'm a Glock armorer, so I'm very familiar with their product.

I bought a 1911 because I enjoyed shooting my friend's Kimber at the range: I liked the accuracy, ergonomics, and the aesthetic properties of the gun, not because one is better than the other. I know less than zero about these guns, however, so I'd like to get some maintenance advise from the collective wisdom of TFL.

Let's keep this technical, ok? :)

PreserveFreedom
July 11, 2001, 05:54 PM
Let's keep this technical, ok?
That has to be the best advice I have heard today.

sandcrab
July 11, 2001, 06:09 PM
Lighten up guys.

Women, as a group, aren't known for having a highly developed sense of humor or wit. Apparently this may also be true for 1911 owners. What are y'all - a bunch of engineers ??????

Loosen up, take a deep breath, and relaxxxxxxxxxxx. Sounded like dawg was only joking.

norielX
July 12, 2001, 05:21 PM
and he's got a great sense of humor:D

So do I -- I tell my friends lead bullets are the best ammo to shoot aout of their Glocks! J/K I'd never do that...

NRA, does the V-12 take down like a regular 1911? I was wondering because SA likes to use the old "paper clip" tool with their bull barrel models. Have you fired it yet? How much louder is it that your friend's 1911's? I'd shoot it at night, just to show off the flames. ;)

AR-10
July 12, 2001, 06:57 PM
norielX

The V-12 and the V-16 have no need for a paper clip, unless you want to use one to clean out the ports.;)

These pistols use a reverse recoil spring plug and a two piece guide rod. The plug, spring, and half the guide rod are inserted into the slide before the slide is installed on the frame.

I hope he hasn't fired it before he has cleaned and lubed it. Metal shavings, grease, grunge.....