PDA

View Full Version : CZ 527 American

Swamp Yankee
July 6, 2001, 08:14 PM
Been drooling over a CZ 527 American in .223. Broke down and bought it yesterday. Installed a Leupold 3-9 Compact scope and am headed for the gravel pit on Sunday.
I love the looks, the size, and the weight of this rifle. The fit and finish are top notch.

Have a couple of questions if anyone knows off the top of their head.
1- What is the rate of twist of the rifling on these bad boys? I checked the Owner's Manual, and website with no luck. If worse comes to worse I'll use the cleaning rod approach.
2- Anybody have one and care to comment?
3-Anybody not have one and care to comment?
4- I'd be most appreciative of any loads you would care to recommend.
5- Any thoughts on what I should have paid for this set up?
As always thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care

Gino
July 7, 2001, 02:31 PM
IIRC, most american made .223 bolt action rifles are 1/10 twist or maybe 1/12 twist? My guess is that this rifle would be the same. I would stick with 55 grain ammo (at the most) for now unless you found out it was a faster twist.

PJR
July 7, 2001, 04:27 PM
I owned one of these during my rifle buying, selling and trading phase. Mine had a killer piece of blonde walnut wood and two magazines. It was accurate for a light barreled rifle putting three shots of 55 grain ammo into .75" at 100 yards. Handloads would bring that down to half an inch. The Czechs make good barrels and IIRC the twist was 1 in 12. It was light and handy and a good walking around varminter.

Downsides: The magazine lips were very sharp and scored the brass until I had a gunsmith smooth them. Mine had a single set trigger that I never could get adjusted to my liking.

Paul