PDA

View Full Version : 7mm/08, .308 big enough for elk

Futo Inu
July 5, 2001, 02:12 PM
Just curious as to whether you experienced hunters think these calibers are big enough to do the job on North Am. elk? I understand that most people use .30-06, 7RM, .300 WM, or .338 for elk, but it seems that a well-placed shot with 7mm-08 or .308 would do the job just fine, but I could be wrong, as I have never hunted elk (though I want to someday). BTW, I'm talking about shots <200 yds, since I wouldn't be skilled enough to take a shot farther than that anyway.

Dave R
July 5, 2001, 02:45 PM
You will probably get conflicting answers on whether .308 is big enough for elk. But there are quite a few hunters who take elk with .308. It can do the job if you don't "push the envelope" too far.

Art Eatman
July 5, 2001, 09:41 PM
Not first-hand knowledge, but some things to consider: First off, I'd limit myself to distances within my competence for shot placement. I'd be picky about a neck shot or heart shot on a standing elk, and not try for a running elk. And last, I'd choose a load with one of the better bullets for controlled expansion. Oh, yeah, I'd do a whole bunch of practicing with the rifle, until it was mostly reflex.

Now I'll let the experts tell me if my opinionatin' is somewhere in the ballpark.

:), Art

swsurgeon
July 5, 2001, 10:17 PM
I've hunted with several guys who have taken elk with 308 rifles, top quality bullets, and good shot placement. However, I've always thought that if you can tolerate the additional recoil of a 30-06, it would give you a little more range/power. Wearing a heavy hunting jacket in cold weather, and with the excitement of the moment, I'm not bothered by the recoil from my 338 Stainless Stalker. Of course, shooting from the bench, even with a strap-on shoulder recoil pad, is definitely no fun!

swsurgeon.