PDA

View Full Version : TFL Purchases S.W.A.T. Magazine!!

Rich Lucibella
July 4, 2001, 02:26 PM
The Fourth of July is an appropriate date for this message. Group One Enterprises, parent corporation of The Firing Line proudly announces the purchase of S.W.A.T. Magazine. That's right, a TFL print publication is now on the newsstand!

For the past 20 years S.W.A.T. has enjoyed a reputation for substantive and brutally honest features and columns. Readership is divided 50/50 between LEO's and private citizens. Editorial direction will remain in the capable hands
of Denny Hansen (who has already joined us on TFL). We will continue to demand the highest integrity in reporting about training techniques and gear that works in the real world....and some that doesn't. TFL has been an outstanding crucible for learning what interests real shooters. Expect this to be reflected in our content. We have great plans for S.W.A.T. Building on it's stellar writing Staff, we'll be adding some surprising names to the lineup....and some very familiar ones!

S.W.A.T. Magazine is also now online, thanks to the Herculean efforts of our own ArmySon! Click Here (http://www.swatmagazine.com) to see what were about and to review our July issue. For the month of July only, we are offering a special one year Subscription to Internet subscribers. Normally $26.95 per year, we're offering a limited Publishers Discount at only $19.95 for a one year subscription. For those who demand the best in firearms training, tactics and gear, this is an outstanding opportunity.

We are often asked how our TFL Members might contribute to our ongoing success. This is your chance: Subscribe to S.W.A.T. now and help us to do for the firearms print media what we've done for Firearms Discussion Sites. If you believe our efforts at TFL have been worthwhile, you're going to love the new S.W.A.T. Heads up Peterson; Look alive Harris.....we're about to Raise the Bar!

Best Regards to All-
The Staff of TFL and S.W.A.T. Magazine

George Hill
July 4, 2001, 03:57 PM
A gun magazine that you can read cover to cover. :D
SWAT mag is good stuff.

OF
July 4, 2001, 04:25 PM
Outstanding! My subscription is a done deal.

- Gabe

Bud Helms
July 4, 2001, 04:27 PM
I'll bet we see a mag that maintains the high road. Yep, cover-to-cover.

Congratulations, Rich, and best of luck!

Damn, Son! That is one fine job, buddy! I like the moving SWAT LINEUP menu on the left side of the page. Very cool.

Uh, I'm waiting for the online subscription capability ... :p

amalgam
July 4, 2001, 04:50 PM
congratulations! the TFL empire is growing.

do you plan on having the same articles in both formats (hardcopy and website)?

MAD DOG
July 4, 2001, 04:57 PM
Congratulations, Rich!
About time someone took SWAT away from Larry Flint and made an honest woman of her. :D
But seriously, folks:
SWAT has always been the one Gun related rag that I could bear to read, and not feel dirty afterwards.
American Handgunner, Guns&Ammo, and the others tend to be so...well... WHORED OUT TO THEIR ADVERTISERS. :barf:
There, I said it. :D

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't some stellar new writers being added to the stable at SWAT??
(No, I have NO insider information to this effect...)

TELL US MORE!

BTW: The latest issue of SWAT has a feature on my MD Labs GunGrips on page 68, and I didn't even buy an ad!

Jeff Thomas
July 4, 2001, 05:14 PM
Rich, congratulations! I've just printed out my subscription form, and I'll drop it in the mail box today.

To my friends on TFL - Rich and his team have given us so much with TFL. Here's a concrete chance to say "thank you", and to benefit to boot. I hope thousands of TFL members will take him up on his offer.

Rich Lucibella has done terrific things for the RKBA, individual freedom and personal responsibility. Businessmen like Rick deserve strong support.

Regards from AZ

Don Gwinn
July 4, 2001, 05:36 PM
Dude, that's a secret! Rich is going to make......oh, wait. Never mind.

PJ11B3VF7
July 4, 2001, 05:53 PM
Congrats Rich, best of luck with the new business. I'm going to get a subscription ASAP. Thanks again for all your hard work.

JoshM75
July 4, 2001, 06:17 PM
Awesome Rich!!
Considering how impressive TFL is, I'm sure SWAT will be a great success.

TFL has basically weaned me off Gun publications such as Guns & Ammo, etc and I would not be suprised if this is the same for other TFL'ers.

I'll have to arrange a subscription down here in NZ.

Kia Kaha Josh.

Mal H
July 4, 2001, 06:55 PM
I got the July issue and not surprisingly it is an exceptional magazine. You can already see Rich's touch in it and Denny Hansen has the background and expertise to help carry it off in style.

Simply put folks, this is not just another gun ragazine, it is first class.

Ed Brunner
July 4, 2001, 07:11 PM
Will SWAT include Tales of the LawDog ?

ArmySon
July 4, 2001, 08:22 PM
The shopping cart/credit card option should be up and running by the beginning of next week. Just a few more kinks to work out.

5pins
July 4, 2001, 08:45 PM
Now that Larry Flint is out I will have to take a look at it again.

bookkie
July 4, 2001, 10:24 PM
Rich:

My check is in the mail..... Well it is!

PJ11B3VF7
July 4, 2001, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I second the notion of SWAT carrying Tales Of The Lawdog. :D

Rich Lucibella
July 4, 2001, 10:37 PM
Dudes, this warms my heart...thanks so much.

Mad Dog-
As if you didn't know...
- Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch joins us next issue with an exclusive column.
- Colonel Dave Grossman, author of On Killing, has already submitted one exclusive with more to come
- Harry Humphries has joined the lineup.

...and we're just warmin' up!

Jeff-
We know we can always count on your support.

Amalgam-
Articles from S.W.A.T. will only be available on a pay basis. The magazine is not cheap to produce...it's gonna have to pay it's own way. But we do hope to provide previous copies to Subscribers via the web.
Rich

amalgam
July 5, 2001, 12:59 AM
I considered the possibility that the web articles wouldn't be the same as the current issue's. No problem. :)

Just an idea, but the website version could have a section for "short stories", or "new authors", where folks who haven't been nationally published could have a chance to present a one-page or two-page article or evaluation.

good luck!

scud
July 5, 2001, 09:42 AM
Good going on your venture, may have to scrape the bank myself. Nice job on the site too Son. Congratulations you all.

Bogie
July 5, 2001, 10:16 AM
So, y'all taking resumes?

B.A. in public relations. Writer/photographer for Army National Guard. Graphic Designer in corporate 'merica...

Precision shooter and handloader - Benchrest, etc.

Long Path
July 5, 2001, 10:18 AM
Not to sound like a shill for the Boss-Man (I ain't makin' a dime off this stuff!), but the first S.W.A.T. I've read in years was this July issue... and I was VERY impressed.

Folks, this ain't the pulpy lurid magazine of the past. The writing's good, the photography is good and actually portrays images that I can make sense out of.

I'm L.E.O., so of course I'm a sucker for this stuff. But there's a lot of things that the regular gunowner who's interested in tactics and weaponry will find interesting. The range is incredibly broad, in one issue alone! Perfect split between weapons reviews and tactics discussion. Even a significant nod to those who choose to carry antique arms.

I was impressed to learn that, in the quest for objectivity, S.W.A.T. refuses to accept free test specimens.

So the current stuff is easily as good and mostly better than what's out there... but Rich (oh, I'm sorry-- "Group One" :rolleyes: ) steps in as Publisher, and says: "Make it better!" I have it on very good authority that Rich is focused on the future image of that magazine as being the benchmark in the field. He has a vision of how he wants it, and will continue to subtley mould it until he achieves that vision-- just as he did The Firing Line.

Impressed, I look forward to the NEXT issues!

--L.P.

Ledbetter
July 5, 2001, 12:39 PM
Rich,

Congratulations on the acquisition. I'm sure you'll continue to do your outstanding work. I look forward to reading the magazine.

Regards,

Mike Ledbetter

Dr.Rob
July 5, 2001, 12:59 PM
I have to admit, I haven't read SWAT in years. You guys need a new art director? i always thought of SWAT as a cop's magazine.

Seriously I'll have to take a look.

Any chances of publishing some TFL humor?

Correia
July 5, 2001, 01:04 PM
Sweet. :D I will be subscribing soon.

B9mmHP
July 5, 2001, 01:37 PM
Thanks Rich:cool:

I also will wait for the on line option.

RWK
July 5, 2001, 05:22 PM
Rich: Signing up right now.

Son: As usual, superb computer-base animatronics and graphics.

Jeff White
July 5, 2001, 06:35 PM
Rich,
I'll sign on as soon as the online option becomes available. In the meantime I am asking the local newstand to start carrying it again.

Jeff

blades67
July 5, 2001, 09:44 PM
Finally, a magazine for gun owners! (One I won't mind my friends seeing in my home.:D)

Rich,

Thank you.

I am taking you up on your July Special and I will hold S.W.A.T. magazine to a much higher standard. :cool:

Shawn Dodson
July 5, 2001, 11:45 PM
I'm subscribing! After a couple of e-mails with Rich, I'm convinced the new S.W.A.T. is gonna be a winner. Woo-hoo!!!

My next mission is to find a local newsstand that has a copy of the July issue so I don't miss out.

Sport
July 6, 2001, 03:05 AM
Does anyone remember SWAT from the mid eighties
when it was basically a Chuck Taylor publication?
I still have every copy during the period leading up
to his test of the much anticipated Bren Ten.

He ripped the gun apart. A few issues later, Chuck
Taylor's association with SWAT was summarily ended.

As it turns out, Taylor's assessment of the Colonel
Cooper, Dornaus-Dixon disaster was right on target.

duck hunt
July 6, 2001, 11:37 AM
You guys did good. Lovely web site, ArmySon!

Really looking forward to it.

dj1540
July 6, 2001, 04:22 PM
Congrats on the mag, keep up the good work

Point Blank
July 6, 2001, 05:01 PM
Checks (M.O.) in the mail...keep up the good work,and thanks for everything!!!!! And if you ever want me and my tactical Mini 14 posing in one your magazines,just let me know,ok?? Hey....i can see it now,me and my Mini 14 kickin down a door,CZ 75B swingin from my side, rescuing a pretty lady from a big fat bad man.Maybe a 5-6 page layout as i kick him in his groin,then.....aw,forget it..................Can't wait to see magazine !!!:p P.S. I got trigger happy and subscribed by phone. Joked with guy taking the order saying the thread on TFL said a one year subscription came with an offical S.W.A.T. teeshirt and cap!!!He about [email protected] would definitly be interested in a S.W.A.T. teeshirt and/or cap...(hint-hint). In Black!!!!

Spectre
July 6, 2001, 05:25 PM
(sorry- picturing t-shirt)
Great news, Rich. I'll subscribe online...if I can wait that long! :D

Silver Bullet
July 6, 2001, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Rich! I'm in.

Nightcrawler
July 8, 2001, 08:13 AM
I'll be subscribing before too long, and will try to get my friends to do the same. :D

Miss Demeanors
July 8, 2001, 04:47 PM
Congrats Rich! I'll be sure to pick it up :D

AAshooter
July 9, 2001, 03:06 PM
Are multi-year subscriptions available at a discounted rate?

Congrats on magazine!

Rich Lucibella
July 9, 2001, 05:23 PM
AA-
Nope....one year only...it's called a "Suck you in promotion"!!! ;) Of course, if we get you and can't keep you, we must be doing something wrong!
Rich

AAshooter
July 9, 2001, 08:00 PM
Thanks Rich! It sounds like a fair deal to me . . . I just thought you might want to suck me in longer!

;)

ArmySon
July 10, 2001, 09:37 AM
Online ordering is now available. However, this option is currently available just for Visa and Mastercard. Discover and American Express are coming soon.

www.swatmagazine.com/order.htm

Spectre
July 10, 2001, 01:56 PM
Thank you! I find it so much easier to order stuff online.

Jessica Wellman
July 10, 2001, 02:08 PM
It was an honor to subscribe to S.W.A.T. Congratulations on your venture Rich. I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to my first magazine.

Jessica

Gorthaur
July 10, 2001, 04:38 PM
Coupla nitpicks on the order form:

tab order is wrong
there's only one address line for shipping, but two for billing
I don't see a place for card-holder's name (and/or a place for middle initial in the billing info)

Jeff White
July 10, 2001, 07:36 PM
Son,
I just subscribed on line and got an error message that the encryption certificte had expired.

Rich,
Looking forward to getting my first issue. I had stopped reading it when I found out Larry Flint was involved.

Jeff

Rich Lucibella
July 10, 2001, 11:16 PM
Jeff-
Thanks....minor housekeeping. Your order came thru.
Rich

ArmySon
July 11, 2001, 01:40 AM
Gorthaur

The issues you have are all correlated with our merchant software. My hands are tied. However, I can add a custom field for an 'address2' but not much else beyond that.

The software we're using requires the customer to input their name exactly the way it's registered on your credit card. Wish I could be more help but my hands are tied.

Thanks!

Son

Jessica Wellman
July 11, 2001, 08:19 AM
hmmm...wonder if my order went through. Can you check on it Son?

Thanks

Rich Lucibella
July 11, 2001, 10:15 AM
Gorthur:
Please explain "tab order is wrong".

Jess-
I emailed you.
Rich

AAshooter
July 11, 2001, 10:34 AM
You got the order! I am looking forward to my first edition!:D

Gorthaur
July 11, 2001, 11:20 AM
"tab order is wrong" - it goes from left to right, instead of top to bottom - first name of billing address is followed by first name of shipping address, then last name of billing followed by last name of shipping. It ought to go through all of the fields of billing address before going to shipping address.The software we're using requires the customer to input their name exactly the way it's registered on your credit card. Which, for me, includes middle initial. I'll try putting it after my first name and see what happens.

OK, I tried it without the middle initial; it went through fine and a temp charge was made against my credit card.

high_caliber
July 11, 2001, 11:54 AM
Shouldn't the "secure lock" symbol show at the bottom of the browser while viewing the order page where credit card info is entered?

ArmySon
July 11, 2001, 12:48 PM
I tweaked the merchant's software a bit more and added the Middle Initial. What the bank actually looks at is your first name, last name and zip code when authorizing a transaction.

In addition, for individuals such as Jessica, I added a Company field.

Tab Order is fixed also. Thanks!

Gorthaur
July 11, 2001, 03:50 PM
Looks good, except the company field broke the tab order.

trjake
July 11, 2001, 05:34 PM
I never before subscribed to SWAT because of the connection to the scummy Flynt.

Now that it is owned by TFL, I've ordered a subscription.

I also look forward to the Clint Smith column. He is a great guy and writer who is brutally honest and pulls no punches.

Congratulations.