PDA

View Full Version : Para-13-45 Good or Garbage?

prhm
July 1, 2001, 01:14 AM
I recently purchased a used Para Ordnance 13-45. I have run about 200 rounds through it so far. The thing keeps jamming on me.
Is this a common problem with 1911 style pistols or just this brand? Or is this completely uncommon? I have tried 230 grain ball (UMC, CCI, Federal), & 230 grain jhp (federal) all of them have jammed. After first 100 rounds I stripped the pistol cleaned and lubed it, including the mag. Then I fired to next 100 rounds, no difference. A friend of mine suggested getting a new mag for it?
I am new to semi autos, I have only owned revolvers in the past and any help that you could give me would be very appreciated.
If I am unable to remedy this problem I will get rid of this gun and get a different 45. Any suggestions on this would also be appreciated. (it doesnt have to be a 1911 style)

The Reaper
July 1, 2001, 07:18 AM
My P-13 digested almost all the ammo I threw at it fine. CCI Blazers are the only rounds I recall having jam(stovepipe on ejection) and that was rare.

Have someone who has shot 1911s before shoot your gun. A friend of mine had a problem with jams in his 1911 and another shooter had zero problems. I shot it and only had one jam versus his record of a jam every 2-3 rounds. We determined it was something about the way he held the pistol etc.

If the gun jams for an experienced 1911 shooter, then it probably needs some smith attention. If it doesn't, then have another shooter watch you shoot it. Could be the grip or some other issue.

The type of jam you are having may tell some people here what to look for when you are shooting. So if you could describe the failure, that would possibly help.

prhm
July 1, 2001, 03:09 PM
The pistol was failing to feed. I went out today with a new mag., and shot 100 rounds. Not one failed to feed. So hopefully the problem is fixed. Thanks for your help.

The Reaper
July 1, 2001, 04:55 PM
Sounds good. Enjoy your P-13.

critter44
July 1, 2001, 05:20 PM
I have several 1911's including a Para P-14 45ACP and a Para P-16 in .40S&W. Both Para's are super reliable (as are the others). Hopefully, you have solved your problem. It is not uncommon for this type of semiauto to need a minor 'tweaking' even when new. Usually different ammo, different hold, different mag, polishing the feed ramp a little, tweaking the extractor, etc. will cure the problems. That seems like a 'big deal' to those new to the guns, but is old hat to a 1911 smith worth his salt. Continued best of luck with yours.

viesczy
July 3, 2001, 11:27 AM
I am a HUGE para fan. . . but there is one weakness to the POs, that's their mag springs. Sly Stallone has more acting talent then the stock mag springs have tension! :D

I'd recommend getting a +10% Spring from Wolff and that original mag should be fine.

I have less the .5% failure rate with my P12 and P13 with about 10K rounds through them (about 1000 through the P12 was 400 CorBon, and the tight link on the BarSto barrel caused most of the .5% failures until the link was broken in) and my P16 (converted to 10mm) has had 0% failures with about 800-1000 rounds through it (300 in 10mm).

Enjoy your ParaOrdnance P13!

Derek

CWL
July 3, 2001, 01:59 PM
My P-13 also has that tendency, I've heard that this especially true for the P-13 using hi-cap magazines. I've changed my springs 3 times (twice with PO & lately Wolff) but I still get stovepipes. Mine's at Tripp research getting hard chromed right now, they're also working-over the magazines as well. I hope this will reduce my problems.