PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Savage 10/110 receiver for project gun

Riss
June 25, 2001, 09:38 AM
Looking for pasrts gun/receiver barreled or not for project gun buildup, long range custom job. Any one have any ideas where I could start looking ?

Rob01
June 25, 2001, 12:15 PM
Riss, if you don't mind me asking why a Savage action for a custom gun?

BAD_KARMA
June 25, 2001, 01:42 PM
I don't know the guy but I would guess he wants one becuase he does not have one.

why ask why

Karsten
June 25, 2001, 02:26 PM
Did you try calling directly to Savage? They may sell you one through an FFL.

Bogie
June 25, 2001, 02:53 PM
They don't seem all that eager to... The person to ask for is Effie/Custom Shop.

I'd ask again - Why customize a Savage. Or a Remington, for that matter... You're NOT gonna get your cash out of it when you trade it for something else - You may be able to improve it somewhat, but not a great deal...

An action costs about $300-400. Cleaning it up brings the cost up to about $5-600.

For $900, you can get a Viper from Jerry Stiller that is a TRUE custom action, takes a Remington trigger, etc...

I think that Rampro wants something like $600 for their actions...

Of course, I'm going to use a Savage action as the basis for a cruiser-weight varmint gun, but that's because I picked it up for $200 (and added $150 to square everything up), and I wanna see the looks on the faces of the custom rifle shooters... Besides, since I'll be using a barrel block, the action doesn't really have to do all that much.

Rob01
June 25, 2001, 03:17 PM
I only asked why because there are alot of better actions which are more easily made into accurate long range guns. By easy I mean better parts are made for them and more smiths work on them. Look at it as if you were building a custom car, would you pick one that barely anyone builds custom parts for? No of course not. I don't know the poster so I don't know if he was just told by some friend, who has a Savage hunting rifle that he likes, that Savage is the way to go.Maybe he doesn't know about others? That's why I aksed. Personally if I were building a gun from receiver up I would go with a better custom receiver with the minimum I'd use being a Remington 700 action but I'd rather have at least a 40X. I was just trying to help him not bust on him. Actually his best bet would probably be to go to Wal Mart and buy a Savage rifle if he really wants the action because usually actions cost almost as much as a whole rifle. Check Brownell's also, www.brownells.com

Michael
June 25, 2001, 03:37 PM
Alittle fun math just because

Savage action from pawn shop.................$249.00
Truing the action............................$115.00
Replacement trigger..........................$ 59.95
Sharpshooter Supply Custom barrel,
you choice contour and caliber, stainless....$226.00
Stock, Sharpshooter Supply Synthetic
with forend similar to HSP PST25.............$226.00

Grand Total................................$ 875.95

A decent price for a custom rifle that will shoot with
anything else built from a rack grade action.
:D

Karsten
June 25, 2001, 11:03 PM
Okay...think about this. Buy an 10Fp shoot it and see if you like it. I just bought a never been fired with scope, mounts, and a Harris BiPod for $425.
I can tell you where to get a Winchester Model 70 in .308 that is a Tack driver for about $750 and it has a great stock, Harris Bipod, 4x16 scope and if it is still there I will buy it back.
You want a custom gun, I wont ask why....the the Savage it gonna shoot 1 MOA or less out of the box. Remington 700 the PSS, The LTR and even Ruger......how good are you?
Wanta good head to head with me with this http://photoasa.com/disk2/3063/3063/57243_winny.jpg

Just an out of the box statement. The weapon was sent from the factory better than most shooters can shoot them.

Just me, gues I lost the sign off button

Karsten

Riss
June 26, 2001, 05:06 AM
At most, cost of gun at WalMart $360, action trueing $time and labor, new heavy barrel $200, good scope already have, new trigger $75, Choate stock $100 Still under the $750 mark for an extreme heavy barrel tack driver. Take another $100 or more off for a used gun or bare action and parts.