PDA

View Full Version : Why a chrome slide on P32 or P11?

Solitar
June 23, 2001, 12:21 PM
I've searched the threads on both Kel-tec P32 and P11. Other than the rust factor, what advantage is the chrome? Does it come with better sight options on either weapon? Does it wear better? Does it slide better?

There are reasons to have a dark, non-reflective weapon in some situations such as slipping a gun out of a pocket while a hostage/shooting situation develops, or at night under streetlights when I want to have it in hand - just in case - but don't want it to be obvious(I know, keep my hand in my pocket - but withdrawal with a reflection would give the opponent more warning than I'd like). Should I opt for blue or parkerized?

ChickenHawk
June 23, 2001, 01:05 PM
Hi Solitar,

It happens that I just got my P-32 back from Kel-Tec after getting the hard chrome upgrade.

They turn these around VERY fast by the way. I mailed my P-32 to them priority overnight on Tuesday. Two days later (Thursday) I got it back. They only charge $20.00 to do the job. I don't know how they do it. It cost me that much just to mail it overnight to them!

Anyway, one of the reasons I did this is because as much as I really love my P-32 for CCW, most people think it looks like a toy. If I ever do have reason to pull that thing out of my pocket I don't want the BG to wonder if maybe I have a watergun (of course, likely he'll only have about .75 seconds to wonder!).

Anyway, the chrome slide looks a lot more intimidating and has the other advantages you've already named. They use RED paint for the sights which I think is a great visibility improvement over the white on black of the pre-chromed slide.

I hadn't considered the drawback of it being more noticable when maybe you don't want to be observed drawing. That's a good point and I guess you'll have to consider that.

Before this spawns a thread about the appropriateness of a P-32 for a CCW weapon, I live in Texas and wear shorts and T-shirt (which I prefer tucked IN) nearly all year round. I'd love to be carrying my Glock 26 or some such but there's just no where to conceal it that is comfortable, accessible and reliable. Nuff said.

Cheers!
ChickenHawk

alamo
June 23, 2001, 01:59 PM
Rust protection is a reason to get chrome vs. blue. Chrome is much better than blue on a P-32 or any blue gun. Depending on your climate, how much you sweat & where you carrry it, rust protection could be a consideration. If you don't think it will be a problem, just go with the blue. I find the orange sights on my chrome P-32 more visible than the white dots on the blue slides.

Solitar
June 23, 2001, 02:33 PM
Keeping the weapon reasonably oiled may be adequate unless I move back to the humid east coast. How about Parkerized?
Regarding the sights, does somebody offer tritium sights like are available for the P11? If I could only come up with an old bottle of radium paint?;):cool:

tatters
June 23, 2001, 03:20 PM
I sent my P-11 to be repaired, and it required a slide and barrel as parts. I had the blue slide nickeled by Jack Fuselier, (beautifully) and in order for KelTec to keep the finish more or less the same as I had it, they replaced the slide and barrel with the chrome upgrade. They did this free of charge and without my knowledge until it returned. I just happen to think it looks great, and also helps with corrosion prevention.

I am going to send the P-32 down for the upgrade this winter.

My thoughts on the intimidation factor --- I am a fence sitter on that one. On one hand, you want the bg to know you mean business, on the other hand, stealth may be the order of the day.

JohnKSa
June 23, 2001, 07:55 PM
Self lubricating, more durable. Some reports indicate that the chrome pistols are more reliable as well.

Good Guy
June 23, 2001, 10:07 PM
If total concealment is required, like in CA where a CCW is all but nonexistent, I feel the chrome is a bad idea. Mine's still all black. If Keltec offered a black chrome, I'd go for it, But if you're going to silver-chrome it, you might as well order the pink grip too while you're at it.

Solitar
June 26, 2001, 09:41 PM
Since concealment and discretion during drawing the weapon (or even just changing pockets) is very important, I ordered Black and Blue versions of both a P32 and P11. I'll have to keep them oiled, waxed, and shined up but I don't want any chrome glint
from streetlights, sunlight or moonlight.