PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? Used Leupold Tactical Vari X III 4.5x14 w/mil. dot for $420?

Billy Jacobs
June 19, 2001, 04:16 PM
Is this an okay deal, I don't expect a stellar buy, but a fair price.
I will put it on a Savage 10fp .308 bull barrelled rifle. What do you all think of this scope? It is in good used shape, a few scratches on the tube from being pulled back while mounted, not a real big deal to me, also, it is in a State where you can't hunt with a rifle, so I figure it wasn't used much...what do I know though...
any advice against buying a used scope in general?

I did not want to spend this much, but if it's a good deal, I might go for it, as it has the military dot recticle and the target knobs...

How about bases, is a person better off with one piece or two piece bases? or does it really matter?

I really like this forum and I appreciate your help!
Billy Jacobs

CITADELGRAD87
June 19, 2001, 04:34 PM
Not certain about the price, but Leups have a fantastic warranty that is transferrable, you don't even need the card, just contact them for shipping info.

Rob01
June 19, 2001, 04:53 PM
Billy that sounds like a pretty good deal. SWFA has those new for $589 with the 1" tubes. Is it the 30mm tube or 1"? Does it have a side focus? If it's the 30mm with side focus they run about $630.
Like Citadel said they have a great warrenty just incase something does go wrong. You'll be happy with that scope.

As far as bases, it's more a personal thing. I personally like the one piece just because it's hard to miss align the rings with a one piece mount. That could happen if your receiver had any variables in it when machined. As far as performance they are about the same. If you are getting a 1" tube on that scope and plan to shoot over about 500 yards I recommend a tapered base. I believe Nightforce has a two piece tapered for about $65 but they usually run about $100. They are almost needed for shooting long distances with 1" tubes so you don't run all your elevation out. If you don't have the money now get a good set of basic rings and update those later. Just make sure to lap those rings so you don't mess up your tube. you can get it done or just get a lapping kit from Sinclair International for about $17. it's the best money I've spent. I've done 3 of my own and 3 of my friend's scopes.

Watch-Six
June 19, 2001, 05:15 PM
It is a fine scope and the price sounds good. I had one just like it on a SSG. It was a winner.

Billy Jacobs
June 20, 2001, 12:00 AM
Rob01...
What is lapping? Sorry, I don't know about that. I'll have it all installed, two piece bases, and Leupold rings. I don't think I'd shoot much over 500 yds, I need to get to a range, and see just how far that is! I've since read some info, and I find it's not military dot, but milliradian dot... okay...
anyway, thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I think I'm going tomorrow to buy it, ouch it's a lot of money, but everyone says Leupold are the best, even if it is used, I found that a new one is near $600, so I figure I can save about $200 off of new, it's like buying a used car, but with a lifetime warranty.
thanks
BJ

Rob01
June 20, 2001, 08:31 AM
Billy if you are having it installed then ask them to make sure they lap the rings. Lapping is a process that a steel bar the same size as the scope tube is pushed back and forth and side to side through the bottom half of the rings to align them by taking off a small amount of material from the rings. How's this done? By applying a small amount of grinding compund to the rings before applaying the bar. Most ring and mounts will not line up perfectly and that little imperfection can bend and in extreme cases damage your scope tube. It's a very simple process and any good shop should have no problem doing it.

You're going about it in the right way. You're buying a very good scope that you won't have to replce and a good set of rings and mounts. Don't worry about the cost because you're actually saving money by buying quality the first time. Good luck an let us know how everything turns out.

M700
June 20, 2001, 09:33 AM
Billy,

I just bought the same scope like new in the box also with the mildot reticle for $480 with a sunshade included. $420 Sounds like a good price to me. The cheapest i have found it is $481 with a duplex reticle, and $551 with the mildot both found here:

http://www.lockstock.com

Good luck

4V50 Gary
June 20, 2001, 10:39 AM
If I needed another scope, that would be a hard price to pass up on.