PDA

View Full Version : "Good Deal OR No Big Deal"?

ReserveCop
June 17, 2001, 04:15 PM
A local LE supply store has this offer:

an Intrac Romanian AK (7.62x39) new for $469.95 with a laminated wood stock.

Is this a good deal?

More importantly, is this a good rifle? :p

Thanks for your opinions.

44rugerfan
June 17, 2001, 05:14 PM
Let me first say I am no expert on AK's, but $470 seems like alot of money. My brother in law bought an AK made in Russia, and he paid about $250. Is it a good gun? Depends on what you want it for. It is the most widely distributed and successful military rifle in the world. It is as reliable as a rock. It isn't very accurate, most shoot between 3 and 12 inches at 100 yards. As a plinking rifle and short-range deer rifle, or as backup in case the huns ever come over the hill, it fills the bill very well.

MiniZ
June 17, 2001, 05:43 PM
That doesn't sound that good to me. Generally speaking, a Romanian(Romak or SAR) shouldn't go for more than $300.00-$350.00 on the dealer's shelf.

Zane

scoops
June 17, 2001, 06:34 PM
350 max for any AK IMHO the norinco is best and they go for 350 brand new.

ReserveCop
June 17, 2001, 07:22 PM
thanks for the info

FireForged
June 17, 2001, 08:12 PM
The BEST post-ban AK for the money is the Polytech AKS which sells for around $399.00 at CDNN. The Polytech has the thickest stamped receiver available and better barrels w/ ribs. The fit/finish and the sweet trigger parts cant be beat.

The Romanian AK (WASR MISR SAR ROMAK CUGIR) are nice reliable rifles with a little less attn to detail. Anything over $300 for a Romanian is stretching it a bit.

The Norinco standard MAK's are very close to the quality of the Polytech with the exception of the barrel. The Norincos have the regular thin barrel. Personally I cant stand the thumbhole stock on the MAK's but they are nice rifles. Expect to pay $350 and up for any decent MAK. NOTE: of occasion you will find a 'milled' MAK that will cost in the $400.00 range.

The Maadi's are pretty much the bottom of the AK/Variant Barrel. Mismatched wood, crappy spray-on finish and terrible tooling are common. I would avoid them.