PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FP and scope/mount recommendations?

Billy Jacobs
June 14, 2001, 06:09 PM
I am considering the purchase of a Savage 10FP and I would first appreciate any opinions of the rifle, good or bad... also, I would like some recommendations on a scope for it as well as the scope mount, I would like to spend about 250 or 300 for the scope, give or take a few bucks... also, does anyone know if Burris makes a matte black bipod?

I've been reading the posts on this website, and I find them quite informative and entertaining.

Thanks
BJ

Glockster35
June 14, 2001, 07:13 PM
This is my first post on here, so let me get to it.

I am not a very experienced rifle shooter, as my name might imply, I do own several rifles now, but am at heart a pistol shooter. The first rifle I purchased (March 2001) new was my Savage 10 FP, and I do like it very much. A lot of people bag on the Savages, mostly because of their sloppy triggers and flimsy stocks. I for one did not want a Remington, and today I don't regret my choice in the Savage. I use my rifle mostly for target shooting at 100 yards, and occasionally out to 600 yards. I have yet to miss my target and with the rounds I am using I am getting good results.

I am not a reloader, and have no interest in it right now, my gun collection and other hobbies keep my money out of my pockets. I am using 147 grain M-80 military .308 rounds that I think are surplus. I am not able to get sub-moa groups with this ammunition, but that is not what I am after. I am still trying to get used to shooting this rifle. I did get some really good groups with it when I broke it in, but I did not measure them. All I know is that at 100 yards I put 5 rounds into one hole, no bigger than a dime. I don't aspire to be a sniper, all I care about is hitting what I aim at.

As for your choice in bi-pods, I don't think Burris makes bi-pods, but take a look at the Harris swivel set, they are by far the best in my opinion. I use them on several of my rifles and they are what all my friends use.

My choice for rings and bases was pretty easy, to save cash and get a scope mounted quickly I went with Leupold base and rings, they have served me well on a few other rifles, and worked out good on the Savage.

I have wondered why someone hadn't opened up a Savage rifle message board. Now that I found the Firing Line I see all the Savage shooters are hiding here.:rolleyes:

Bob Locke
June 14, 2001, 08:51 PM
I'm going to get ridiculed for posting the same thing on multiple threads, but so what?

My rig:

Savage 10FP, Tasco World Class 3-9 x 50mm scope, Harris bipod

It consistently shoots three-shot groups that have all holes touching.

Billy Jacobs
June 14, 2001, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, I meant Harris, not Burris bipods, since Burris makes scopes, sorry about that, at least one of us knew what I was talking about, it just wasn't me.
BJ